Monday, October 18, 2010

Dolapo Babalola - My God even in the last minute

Posted in: ,
I got this book last week in the mail and I have finished reading it, it is that good. This is a Christian inspirational book and it one that will definitely encourage anyone who reads it. Dolapo presents a God who does not abandon us, a God who is always there even in the darkest time of night, and a God that will make our joy full in the morning. My God, even in the last minute is told from the prism of Dolapo's experience on the path of obtaining a US permanent residency. She dispenses encouraging bible verses and some information on the process of H1B documentation and eventual green card. It was also a fun read, tells an engaging story and is well written. Highly recommended. Read Dolapo's interview below.

1. Tell us about yourself?

I would like to introduce myself as Dolapo Babalola (Maiden name: Adeoshun) a debut author of a Christian Inspirational Book titled "My God: Even in the Last Minute" (MyGelm) released September 2010. I am also a family physician; and I practice clinical and academic medicine at Morehouse in the Department of Family Medicine, Atlanta. I am the oldest of four children, born in the mid-1970s to Dr. and Mrs. Adeoshun, who are both based in Nigeria. I obtained my medical degree from the University of Guyana, South America. After that, I completed an Internship at the University College Teaching Hospital in Ibadan, Nigeria. I migrated to the United States in the pursuit of higher learning. I subsequently graduated from Morehouse Family Medicine Residency Program and subsequently stayed on as a faculty member.



2. What made you write My God, even in the last minute?
I originally wrote my book to keep my mind focused on other activities, other than my challenges. I gradually matured through the process and had a keen appreciation of the omnipotence of God. Life is a journey; my experiences have shown me that it is a continuous learning curve. How we react to the situation is what makes the difference; I decided at this point to share my experience with the world by writing my book.

3. Talk to us about the writing process for My God, even in the last minute.
My writing process for MyGelm started out as a journal and gradually turned into an inspirational book for which I am grateful to God. I drifted out the outline of my book into four chapters with tentative titles at the latter part of last year but as I wrote the text, I realized there was more to tell on how God showed up in the most unexpected places. I ended adding two more chapters and finally finished writing my book in June, 2010. I spent a good amount of time researching the different reasons why God delays our responses to prayers. As a debut author, new in the publishing arena, I spent a lot of time making inquiries on the publishing industry; self-publishing, traditional publishing, editing, etc. To say the least, the process has been exhilarating.

4. What themes are explored in the book?
Several themes are explored in MyGelm. First and foremost, it narrates my journey as a young aspiring physician who, in the pursuit of a permanent residency in the United States, faced multiple obstacles and challenges. Each day through this ongoing ordeal, I experienced God in a way that I never would have imagined. Secondly, I mention the various circumstances that God showed up in the most unexpected place, in the last minute, and always with a life-changing lesson. Thirdly, I speak on how; the greatest lesson in my darkest hours of uncertainty is that God is close by, quietly working behind the scenes, bolstering my faith for a miracle. Last but not the least; in chapter 6, I discuss the pearls of life that I discovered during my startling journey that I believe will be educational for people to apply in their lives.

5. What's one thing you want readers to come away with having read My God, even in the last minute?
Great question! Peace of mind in any situation or life challenges. God’s plans, purposes, and pursuits can be expressed through our lives if we lay down our plans, purposes, and pursuits to him.

6. What was the publishing journey like; from idea to holding the book in your hands?
The joy and freedom to write and express myself, is what I enjoy the most about writing. What a phenomenal feeling it is to be able to put my thoughts down. Yes, there are downsides such as finding the time to complete my book, not to mention, the guilt trip, when I steal time from other activities. In addition, learning to write using the Chicago Manual literary Style was not easy, since up to date, I wrote mostly medical articles.
My goodness, holding my book in my hand was incredible but I must say it was with mixed feelings as well. I had doubts about acceptance. But I reminded myself that I am just the messenger, I will leave the rest to God.

7. What three writers have inspired you as a writer, and why?
So many but to mention three; Rev Tai Ikomi has influenced my life especially in her book titled “The Art of Inspirational writing. It is an amazing book! It teaches us to release ourselves to deliver the message indoctrinated. My life never remained the same after I read Mike Murdock’s book “The Uncommon Leader” I could read it over and over again; I just love the part that says we should focus on possibilities instead of problems. And lastly; Gifted Hands by Dr. Ben Carson. I remember reading this book in college with tears in my eyes, knowing that I can overcome any obstacle if I can only believe in myself. The message is clearly that “Champions keep playing until they get it right” words from Billie Jean King.

8. If you were on a stranded island and could only have three things, what would those things be, and why?

Interesting question…well, definitely my Everyday Life Bible which features notes and commentary by Joyce Meyer. I cannot do without my compact make-up bag, which by the way has all my necessities, including pictures of my hubby and children. A boom box to listen and dance to good music and if I may add a fourth thing, it would be my laptop! I joke with husband; saying I have palpitations without my laptop and internet access.

9. What is the most important part of a book for you--why?
There is a lesson learnt in every part of my mind but most importantly I would say my journey made me understand that God delays the response to our prayer requests for many reasons. I will mention one, which is to increase our vision. There were countless ways I could recite God’s magnificent powers revealed through the Word of God. I saw God come through for me during this journey in many unimaginable ways. When you go through thick and thin, you go from saying as the disciples did: “Who is this man?” to “You are the Son of God.” It is a place of having a vision of God’s power, his providence, and his parenting philosophy. You only know this in the midst of battle.

10. Are you currently working on another book?
No, no thought of any book, neither fiction nor non-fiction. But I have learnt “never to say never.” I will continue to enjoy writing medical literature.

11. What do you enjoy doing, like hobbies and other interests?
You can always find me being adventurous and challenging myself at new things. I enjoy spending time in church and with my family. It always relaxing for me to dance, write, listen to great music, and watch a cool movie.

12. Are you on Facebook, Twitter or have a website?
Yes, I am on facebook; www.facebook.com/584879119
My Website is www.mygelm.com
My blog is www.mygelm.wordpress.com

13. Where is My God, even in the last minute available?
In addition to my website; www.mygelm.com for purchase links, others are;
http://www.signedbytheauthor.com/1605.html (autographed)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1453640274

14. Any last word to the readers?
Our disappointments and trials are no surprise to God. He knew every setback that would occur and had already arranged a comeback. You have someone fighting for you—the Creator of the universe is breathing in your direction. His hand of favor is upon your life. He is crossing ahead of you, making your crooked places straight. You can trust God for victory in your future and watch him show up in the most unexpected places.

Thank you for this marvelous opportunity to interview with you.



11 comments:

  1. Wow!! I love this interview. Exactly what i need to hear just now. Scooting over to her sites. thanks for this Myne ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really good interview! I enjoyed reading this...learnt a lot already and I havent even read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read gifted hands too, Its really motivating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am half-way through reading this amazing book already and it has also made me sit up about my immigration status because just like Dolapo was, I am 4 years into my H1B having just got mine after residency. Very inspirational. Thanks Dolapo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi myne, its tisha
    I have lost my password and my username to enter into naijastories and i need to upload my stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the interview and review Myne.. Nice..

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good interview with good questions asked. I like it when I see professionals talk about God. It interests me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed reading this interview...interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the comments. Dolapo will be around soon to take any feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, very interesting and informative interview. A prolific author in the making. Just want to say I knew her before she became famous, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello everyone. I sure appreciate your positive feedbacks. I thank God for giving me this amazing opportunity to write this intriguing book, which of course, I didn't think so at the beginning of the journey. My adversity became a university of lessons learnt and so it can be with us all; we become better and greater through it all. Kindly spread the word! Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.