Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving and my Meat Pie Recipe

Posted in: ,

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to everyone, especially those in America. I made some Meat Pie yesterday for Dinner and I want to share the recipe with you this thanksgiving.

Ingredients

*Dough - Plain Flour – 1 Kg, Margarine – 500g, Salt – 2 pinches, Dry spices - 2 pinches, Cold Water - a quarter cup

*Filling - 500g of minced meat, 1 medium-sized onion, 2 medium-sized tomatoes, Seasoning - 2 Maggi / Knorr cubes and 1 teaspoon of mixed spices, Cold water – 1 cup

*1 egg yolk

Tools

Rolling Pin, A Flat surface, Measuring circle – You can use a saucer, pot or dish cover, and cut with a knife. I used the cover of my "I can't believe it's not Butter" jar to cut the dough and it gave me 8 meat pies with the above ingredients. Table Fork – To press the edges of the meat pie after adding the filling.

Directions 

- For the Filling

Wash and slice the onions.
With your cooker or stove set to medium heat, heat the vegetable oil in a pot, add the diced onions and stir for a bit, add the minced meat and stir for about ten minutes.
Add 1 cup of water and the seasoning. Cover the pot and simmer for 20 mins
Add salt to taste, stir the contents and turn off the heat.
Set the meat pie filling aside, preferably in the fridge or somewhere cool.

- For the dough

Put the flour in a sizeable bowl
Use a tablespoon to scoop the margarine in small bits into the bowl of flour. The smaller you make the bits of margarine, the easier it will be for you to rub them into the flour.
Use finger tips to rub the margarine into the flour till the mix becomes like bread crumbs.
Add a pinch of salt at this stage and any dry spices you feel like - I used Lion brand mixed spices
Now, add cold water in bits while at the same time kneading the mix till you have a stiff ball of dough. I only needed like one inch of water in a tall drinking glass.

Rub margarine on the insides of the oven tray and set aside.
Break the egg, separate the yolk and whisk, then set it aside.

Set your oven to 350 (For browner meat pie set to 400 in the last 5 minutes) and leave to preheat while you continue with the meat pie dough.

- For Rolling the Dough

Place the dough on a flat surface, and roll it out. If it sticks to the surface, spread dry flour first.
Use the cutter to make round cuts on the rolled out dough.

Remove the excess dough, leaving behind the round cuts.
Scoop some meat pie filling into the center of the round cuts, the quantity should be such that you can comfortably close the dough without overflows.
Rub the egg yolk on the inside edge of the cut dough. This ensures that the meat pie is sealed and does not open up while baking.
Fold one part of the dough to meet the other end and use a fork to press the 2 edges together to close tightly.
Place in the oven tray and repeat the previous step till all the dough is used.
Rub the remaining egg yolk over the top of the meat pies. This gives the meat pie a golden brown look when done. Prick the top of the filled dough with the fork tines for a better look :)

- Baking

Set the tray in the preheated oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. You can confirm that the meat pie is done when it starts browning. It is alright to open the oven to check this.

Adapted from my favorite recipe site - ALL NIGERIAN RECIPES




24 comments:

  1. Myne Myne,this is soooooo very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy thanksgiving day sis....d sight of the meat-pie is soooo delicious..lol
    i thot u were just a talented writer, didnt know that u are also a gifted cook...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy thanksgiving day sis....d sight of the meat-pie is soooo delicious..lol
    i thot u were just a talented writer, didnt know that u are also a gifted cook...lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy thanksgiving Myne. will definitely try the pie...it looks so yummy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving, Myne!!! Hope you spend an amazingly delicious day with your loved ones. <3 Also this meat pie recipe sounds fantastic. I'm not that great at baking or cooking but I will have to pass this along to my mom. Haha she loves trying out new recipes! :D Thank you for sharing.

    ~TRA

    The Red Angel Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never baked anything using actual dough before. I suppose that's the test of a real woman, lol.

    Happy thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last time I made meatpie, my people almost choked on the pie..it was too thick...lol
    Happy thanksgiving Mrs Whitman/Atala......sorry Myne...:D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This recipe and photo must go on 9jafoodie o.. lol | I didn't know you like to showcase your foodie talent too ma.

    Anyway, hwo much does it cost to ship to Auckland, NZ? haha. I am sure with that, my thanksgiving will be complete. haha

    - LDP

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy thanksgiving. I don't cook for thanksgiving. The women of my family don't like the men coming close to the kitchen during thanksgiving. Enjoy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy thanks giving to you too Myne

    Adiya
    Muse Origins FB

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never liked meat pies... (very strange experience as a kid) but right now, I really want one...Very tempting Myne.

    Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAPPY THANKSGIVING ms Myne!! God bless you and yours. The meat-pie looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy thanksgiving and may God always provide for and protect you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'm so hungry oh this meat pile sorry meat pipe shuuu, the meat pie looks really good, i miss naija and i'd try ur recipe for christmas dinner!! Happy thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. yum, yum, yum!!!!

    Madam, how far? I might have to go buy some sausage today due to this post of yours.

    Hope your fam is well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love me some recipes. I love all. so this one i am going to copy and let you know when I try it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Thanksgiving. I don't know why, but somehow I'm not a fan of meat-pie. :-(. I prefer other snacks. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was more interested in the meatpie itself than how to make it! I do have a go once in a while making meatpie but mine doesn't come out as yours. Happy thanksgiving, wish we had same in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Myne,

    The meat pie looks delicious and you explained the recipe like a pro. I love it. And thanks for the link love and the nice words about the site. I just saw the link in my Analytics :)))

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Flo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Where's nkem Myne? Those meat pies look delish. Hope you had a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh no, now am craving meatpie.mmmmmh

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.