Wednesday, November 9, 2011

How to improve your Alexa Blog Ranking

Posted in:
In one of the blogging tips posts I did titled "I want more Comments", Amb Caleb commented that he needed some tips on ranking. That got me thinking because I didn't have a ready answer for him. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't as if I hadn't heard of blog rankings before, but, I had never really done anything beyond that.

I had found out about both Pagerank and Alexa earlier this year on one of my blog improvement wanderings around the interwebs. Google Pagerank measures the reputation of your site based on the weight it gets via search engines and is ranked between 1 and 10, the bigger the better. Alexa ranks your place among other sites based on traffic and other indicators and the closer you are to 1, the better. Google.com ranks #1 and some blogs I checked were up to 25 million. When I first checked , I was happy with my Pagerank 4 (both nairaland and Bellanaija are also 4), and though a bit confused by the Alexa ranking of 1.5 million.

At first I thought 1.5million is OK if some are 25mill, but when I compared the ranking of my blog to some other related sites, it became obvious that I was missing something. Nairaland is 1k, Bellanaija and Linda Ikeji are around 10k. As I monitored,, I saw some new websites shoot straight to less than 200k in a week, and with virtually a tenth of my traffic. What was going on? What was the secret?

One may wonder why the need for such rankings. This is because most advertisers use Pagerank and Alexa rankings as the determinants of how much to pay for the clicks or impressions their ads get on sites and blogs. So, if you have ads on your blog, maybe google adsense or other affiliate or clickback and want to earn more income, you should be interested on how to improve your ranking.  If you also write paid reviews or paid blogposts, good rankings also grant you a better bargaining power with those that want to pay for posts on your blog.

It was time for me to investigate. And I found it wasn't even a secret. It is right there on the Alexa website. Their rankings are only based on visitors to your blog or website who use their toolbar. So that was it, the toolbar? I was sceptical at first and decided to use my Google Fu. All the sites on the front page agreed that installing the tool bar is the number one way to improve your Alexa ranking. Some had other options, from about 5 strategies, up to 20 tricks. The toolbar was common in all, the others could have been just ways to improve your traffic. The thinking being that as your traffic improves, the more likely it is that browsers using the Alexa toolbar will be among your visitors.

Anyway, I still wasn't convinced. I had to try it out myself. I registered my other site, www.naijastories.com, on Alexa, then created and installed a toolbar. The toolbar I installed was on an Internet Explorer browser which I rarely used, and only for visiting Naijastories in this experiment. Within one week, the ranking jumped from 900k to 500k. After I saw the results, I began to use the IE browser to visit this blog. The ranking has now gone from 1.4 million to 900k. In two days! If I were in the court, I would say, "no further comments, your honor", lol...

For those interested, check your Google Pagerank, and download an Alexa Toolbar.

Remember, your Alexa ranking is just to help you track your efforts in blogging and maybe earn more. At the end of the day, the joy in blogging is to write what you like, and to interact with your visitors. Only great content and a stand-out personality will get your readers coming back for more. Happy blogging!



22 comments:

  1. I had never heard of blog rankings before this. The free version of Wordpress which I use does not support ads. If I do switch, will be sure to come back and read this again, very informative. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across these Myne when I was trying to look at how to improve Fab Reads readership and few months ago but it all just went over my hear. With you having made it so simple, i'll give it another go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I've never even heard of Alexa. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. never really paid particular attention to the whole blog ranking ish and also I think Google deactivated my adsense. Nice information by the way, if not useful to me it is to some people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments, it was over a year before I heard of the rankings. I guess the longer you blog, the more you find out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, this was very helpful Myne. Already applied the toolbar as recommended. Thanks a bunch. I see there's a lot of work to do. I'm very grateful you put this up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome, Mike and Whitelist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny thing is prior to starting my internship in Sept, I had no idea what any of these meant. But my internship has to do with SEO (Search Engine Optimization) so I have an idea now. Another PageRank site you can use is this. Cos sometimes, the PageRank from add-ons mess up

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never gave this much thought before. This should be interesting. Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Myne. First time I've heard of Alexa. Great post.

    I'm just coming by to touch base before our Romantic Suspense blogfest.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never heard of Alexa but I did type it on my webbrowser to visit the site. Thankyou so much fir this info... It all seems a bit techy for me right now but I know all o have to do us read this post again, then I'll digest it. Again thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @HoneyDame, Thanks, I'll check out that link. After your internship, maybe I should hire you, :)

    @Relentless, hope it comes in seful someday

    @L'Aussie, I appreciate it, I'm looking forward to the blogfest too.

    @lara, The toolbar is quite easy to install as I found. Let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is really informative Myne. I will have to look into it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I first started blogging i was into the SEO, page ranking etc. Registered myself on some sites etc etc. now, I can't really be bothered.

    You have just rubbished Alexa ranking o. And there i was thinking it was all about popularity..lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Myne, this is what I call Informative thanks to Micheal (http://mikesfrequency.blogspot.com/) that directed me to this post.

    Great work on the SEO stuff too. I took great interest in it some months back and have been reading alot on it and practice to but, just as you said the "Alexa ranking is just to help you track your efforts in blogging and maybe earn more. At the end of the day, the joy in blogging is to write what you like, and to interact with your visitors."

    I should come back to read more on SEO as you blog about it more... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. alexage.com is a huge help!
    it does help drive more web traffic!
    and it helps me on my market research, a lot!

    thanks for this site!
    this site is a must!
    trust me, it works :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. alexage.com is a huge help!
    it does help drive more web traffic!
    and it helps me on my market research, a lot!

    thanks for this site!
    this site is a must!
    trust me, it works :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks dearie for sharing this. Informative

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further write ups thanks once again.

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.