Sunday, February 26, 2012

Oscar Best Picture is The Artist and Fabulous Red Carpet Couples

Posted in: , , ,

I have watched six of the nine movies nominated for the Oscars this year and I saw The Artist last, just last weekend. However, it is my tip to win best picture at the Oscars this evening, it was amazing! I heard so much about the movie floating around that I just had to see it. The film is shot on black and white and is basically silent, with subtitles at key moments. The story itself starts in 1927 and runs through to 1932 spanning the American Great Depression which is subtly referenced in the movie. Why am I rooting for the the movie? It is a fantastic movie and it is in my favorite genre - romantic comedy/drama

The movie "focuses on the relationship of an older silent film star and a rising young actress, as silent cinema falls out of fashion and is replaced by the talkies." It features great actors and great story telling, and the silent, black and white experiment totally paid off. In a way, the movie reminded me of Nollywood, the story is so corny and the acting so melodramatic that you actually do not need any words to know what's going on. Of course, they are miles ahead in terms of production, and the sound/score, Oh my!

Without a word, the music said everything. I was in tears several times, and at the climax, my heart was almost pounding out of my chest. Atala and I clutched at each other's hands as the story tumbled us through an emotional wringer and then gently let us out.

I won't spoil it further, just make sure you see it. And if it wins the award, remember you saw it here first. All  the movies nominated are below and for the ones I saw, they're all great. I'll rank them the way I'm rooting for them. Pictures of couples who took their love to the red carpet follows.

BEST PICTURE
1. "The Artist" - (Updated after the show - Yay, Winners!)
2. "Hugo"
3. "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close"
4. "The Help"
5. "The Descendants"
6. "Midnight in Paris"
7. "War Horse"
8. "Moneyball"
9. "The Tree of Life"

And now the couples.





I'm not the biggest Clooney gusher but his partner looks gorgeous. Viola Davis rocks with her teeny afro plus hunk of a arm candy, and Colin Firth's accents sets off butterflies in my tummy. And of course, there's Brangelina with her dress slit up the ....(fill in the gaps)

Now the show is done. Which actors and which movies are your favorite Oscar winners?



15 comments:

  1. I have not watched any of the movies on your list, but since you've recommended "The Artist" I'll make plans to see it soon. What with you and Atala clutching each other's hands ... In fact, I musto see it, by force!

    Meryl Streep would be my favorite winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did actually win for the best actress. Kudos to them all.

      Delete
  2. The pictures are lovely.I really dig George Clooney's,the man dey old dey fine the more.No wonder lots of gurls are crushing over him when there are young men of their age range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's definitely a big hearthrob and draws the ladies all the time.

      Delete
  3. The artists sounds like a great movie...no words yet it moves you internally? hmm, talk about great screen play. Must look out for it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really worked, but it was an experiment and I know some people didn't much care for it.

      Delete
  4. Yay for The Artist winning!!! I noticed Americans weren't exactly rooting for it...how can they prefer The Descendants mscheew.
    Anyways it was a good night. My favourite couple was George and Stacy. Like the fashion police said...she looked like His own golden trophy :)
    Do you know a twitter handle was created for Angelina's leg? There was something about her poses and the leg..lol.

    oo much is being made about Viola and her hair joo. yes its really cool and a great look but hey...it isnt that life changing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay to The Artist, I also didn't get the love for Descendants.

      I was just surprised to see Viola's fro, I had no idea. But the hubby is very supportive, saw them together at the NAACP awards too.

      Yeah, I saw the twitter handle. Isn't it funny how she was poking out the narrow leg so the dress fabric is stiff and stood on its own.

      Delete
  5. I have only watched "The Help" from that list and i absolutely love Viola she looks good and now thanks to Myne i have to watch the Artist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Viola looks totally great, so different from the movie. I hope you like the Artist.

      Delete
  6. I love Viola Davis' hair. Thinking of coloring mine now. :-). Out of all the movies listed i've only watched the help. I think I should watch the others. I'ld also like to watch iron lady. I noticed it wasnt on your list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched Iron Lady either, we'll probably see it when it's on Netflix.

      Delete
  7. The oscars were awesome! Especially the cirque du soleil performance. I have to see "the Artist" now and "iron lady" and "a separation".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I always find cirque quite captivating. A Separation won for foreign language, would've loved to see it too but you'll never find those movies in our local area.

      Delete
  8. Of all,I've only watched The Help..and really liked it(shed just one tear*smiles*). Now I've got more to look out for.

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.