Friday, June 3, 2011

I want more Comments!

Posted in:

No, not me, you. Don't you want more comments on your blog? LOL...

OK, let me make this clear about this series on blogging tips and trips, I'm no expert. I've only been blogging for less than 2 years so what I'm sharing is just from the little I know. I'm also not a professional blogger by any means, only a writer building a platform and so my tips may be biased toward branding and building networks. On that note, two quick links;

- Darbie won an eBook of A Love Rekindled from the Lost and Found Blogfest and reviews it 10 out of 10.

- Raquel Byrnes novel Purple Knot releases today and you can get a copy from White Rose Publishing.

Now to today's post, how do you get people talking after a post? I am an equal opportunity commenter if I do say say myself, and while I try to leave genuine and pertinent comments, there are those posts that make me go yummm...On those posts, I could type a whole post as a comment if I had all the time in the world. What are the common things I've discovered about those posts, or in some cases, those blogs, and what can you do?

1. I am sure we all know the very first rule? Leave comments on other blogs! LOL...I cannot repeat this enough. Personally I go around lots of blogs even on days time is too short to leave loads of comments. So how do I choose the posts I end up dropping comments on, or those that get comprehensive and personal comments? It is on those blogs and for the bloggers who I've noted as leaving similar and regular comments on my blog. My advice is leave comments, and make the comments count. Try to read the blog, if that is your first time, scan a couple or more posts, read the ABOUT ME profile, and then drop a note.

2. Write interesting posts: These are posts that address issues that touch me in one way or another. It could be that they're talking about a hot button issue, or it could just be a journal entry that shows it was written for the heart. Examples includes posts that provide information I haven't heard before, that tackle an issue from an angle I had not personally considered before, or uses some funny graphics to spike the personality of the post, making it impossible for me NOT to comment.

3. Remove your word verification: This is connected to the whole blog this time and not to individual posts. I seem to have a sort of dyslexia when it comes to the captchas required for comment verification, and it may take me up to two or three tries to get it right. I avoid the blogs I know that have captchas so as to save time when my blog round ration is limited. The worse cases are where the captcha does not show immediately until the click post comment. What happens is that I click comment and X out not knowing the verification is not finished, thereby losing my whole comment. I tell you, such an experience doesn't encourage me to comment often on that same blog.

4. Check out your comment system: Please please, please, make sure your comment system is working. Sometimes, using the word verification throws the comment box out of whack. Check it yourself by leaving a comment as Anonymous or name and URL instead of your Google account. There are blogs where I can't leave a comment if my name depended on it because the system is whacked. Also make sure the link to leave a comment is in a place people see easily. It should either be under the heading of the post, or directly under it. Please don't make me have to click something first before I can find your comment link or box. Thanks!

There are a few more points but I'll leave them for the next post. For now, it is tadaa! Enjoy your weekend, everyone. Next time you see me here or on your blogs, we'll be on our road trip. Idaho here I come...



38 comments:

  1. Myne,those were very nice tips.Personally i'm tryna reach out to blogsville so i find it very helpful.Thanks alot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That verification thingy can be so annoying!
    The first comment I type as soon as i'm through reading the post is usually the best, if the verification thingy slows me down or make me lose that comment i might as well just sign out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate the verification thing. It is supposed to make sure autom commenters are not dropping thrasg on our blog, thereby reducing spam. But since we ar all one 'big happy blog family', I don't think it is necessary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing these helpful tips. And thanks for the mention!

    Off to adjust some settings on my blog and then, I'll do MORE blog rounds. I sure would like more comments. :)

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you mine for the tips. Will remove my word verification asap... ANd yes its so good to drop comments on peoples blog. Good ones i mean..loll.
    www,secretlilies.blgospot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Myne Myne, u are indeed a blogaholic!!!
    Thanks for those practicable tips....Your tutorial on "good blog, bad blog" is so very timely for me.
    I am having challenges wth being consistent as regards posts, kindly address that, sis.
    i admire the consistency of ur posts and some other bloggers.........

    ReplyDelete
  7. i hate the commenting system....i really want a commenting system similar to wordpress. I'll just waiting to blogger to make the changes they said they would make.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i hope you are better nw myne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks a lot Myne for the tips. I have started working with them immediately. I never knew the word verification thing was stress. Will work on that now, I appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes we all want more comments on our blogs :D

    That Verification thing is kinda annoying. Thanks for the tips.

    Enjoy your road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The verification thing puts me off, there have been many times i tried to comment on people blogs, once i get the verification after typing my comment, i ignore the comment totally. Please bring on more tips, like ranking.

    www.su2c9ja.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips...thanks! I'm off to check things out. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi myne,
    can you check out my latest post? I would like to know if you have any suggestions

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep......i just figured out there were settings for comments. the word verification annoys me to and didnt notice my blog did that too so i changed it. thanks for the tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. yay! glad to see ur blog update top my blog list- urs always comes first. hopefully ur blogging frequency will rub off on me!and yes i want more comments,loved tip no1.
    www.omonaikee.blogpot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always comment on our blog and you haven't even visited mine. Sad much

    Here is the link though: http://nigerianondadl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. the verification thing!!!!! cannot be over emphasized

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tips, Myne! Thank you so much for the shout out for my book release today. ((hugs))
    Edge of Your Seat Romance

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great tips
    I really dont know where you find the energy to be soooo consistent.
    Have a fab roadtrip.

    PS - Will you be picking up hitchhikers? Just wondering.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tell it Myne!!!! Those captcha's are sooooooo annoying...i dont leave comments on some blogs due to that

    ReplyDelete
  21. #GBAM!#..me likey...tnxx for the tip

    ReplyDelete
  22. On point, Myne. I used these tasks to build my list over the years. I've really slacked off, but I'm doing my best to respond to each of the comments as well *speaking of which...I have some catching up to do*

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for number 3!!!!!! I have to admit i'm not too good with leaving comments on blogs especially when school is in session but i try to when i have something to say. I never force myself to leave a comment when i really don't have a response. Which is why i still have a problem responding to comments on my blog, or maybe i'm just lazy :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very useful tips...I particularly agree with 3 and 4...

    ReplyDelete
  25. i'd definitely try them.. and yeah, the whole word verification thingy rily puts me off cuz sometimes i get rily impatient.

    btw, pls could you help me read through some short stories i wrote and maybe drop one or two tips on how i can improve.. thanks. the site is http://sugartonguedeva.blogspot.com i've written just two stories tho, but i working on some others.. thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  26. You cant be "righter"!!!! That word verification thing!!!!!!!
    From expereicence, I know about the leaving of comments on other blogs too.....
    Nice one. Keep'em coming

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yes, yes and yes Myne, you hit the nail on the head right here. That being said, i'm making a note to check my comment system when I get back.

    ReplyDelete
  28. On point/ frank...

    Make comments on other blogs like #sell yourself on blogsville# lol. Most times I blog from my phone so doing rounds on the few blogs can be work.

    some blogs have the "post as" thingy ‎​you-the comment system- talked about. So makes it hard to drop a comment. Bcos of that,I find it discouraging to go by those blogs too)

    Then take off the verification/capt...whatever(I dunno how mine appears sometimes,annoying too).

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you all, I've been on the road for most of the day and now I'm beat! Pictures on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I hate hate hate captcha!! and while its good to comment on other blogger's posts writing 'nice post' just doesn't cut it for me. Its comment cheating jare.

    ReplyDelete
  31. *captcha removed from blog*

    I didn't realize it was such a hassle..learning new stuff everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for sharing the tips Myne. Off i go to check my settings. The captcha of a thing can't be truly over emphasized i just hate it....

    ReplyDelete
  33. These tips are indeed right on points. I'm still learning and I', sure these tips you have mentioned here will help my bogging lifestyle, especially in the way it will affect my blog-commenting traffic.

    Thanks Myne! You are such a darling.

    ReplyDelete
  34. These tips are indeed right on points. I'm still learning and I', sure these tips you have mentioned here will help my bogging lifestyle, especially in the way it will affect my blog-commenting traffic.

    Thanks Myne! You are such a darling.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Myne, thanks for sharing this post.

    The rule #1 was the very first I learnt in my blogging lessons/reading, visit other blogs, read the post and sure leave a comment, not with the intention for them to check back on you but to appreciate what they are doing.

    I sure appreciate this post, its a time well spent.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Myne nice tips..keep it up..thanks..

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.