Friday, August 12, 2011

How I broke my hand

Posted in: , ,
Did anyone try to guess how I broke my hand? One person on Facebook said something that made me go, huh? Ehmmm...no, nobody beat me up. I might be an author but my life is not that exciting yet, :) So what really went down? I'm sure some of you put two and two together from the pictures I used for the Confession Time post, helmet = biking = fall?

Yeah, that was what happened. Atala and I decided to go tandem (a longer than usual bicycle for two people) riding on one of the most glorious weekends Seattle experienced this uninspiring summer. We both ride bicycles, he more than I do obviously since he rides to work most days. (Remember when I blogged about his earlier bike being stolen, we never got it back BTW)


It was a beautiful day,  the lake was the same blue as the sky, the ducks were out with their ducklings...


People were taking advantage of the sun, out in boats big and small...


We weren't just showing off though, we actually rode 18 miles that day, 18 grueling hilly miles! Honestly, there were times I was almost like, let's head back. But just like there are hills, there must be valleys, so we were able to catch our breath, and a couple of times we hopped off and rested our butts too. 


The essence of our sojourn was a lake to lake jaunt. At the second lake, we saw this amazing swimming dog. He was playing with a ball which he liked thrown into the water...


Then he'll jump in after it and fetch it back. Dude is intelligent too, he has these strategies of coming back to the owner using the path of least resistance, you needed to see it...


Oh yeah, more posing...

Anyway, back to the fall, after enjoying the day, the ride, my companion, I got too cocky and decided to ride handsfree. I was encouraged when I saw another rider doing the same. Well, I forgot we were on a tandem and one of the basics of using that is that we had to be communicating every inch of the way. I was trying to convince Atala of the joys of handsfree riding and not paying enough attention to the riding when next thing, I felt myself flying through the air. I fell off the left side of the bike so my left hand got the brunt of it while trying to play Rambo, lol. It didn't hurt that bad, so Atala dusted me off and we continued the ride.


This picture was taken after the fall, and you can see I was still flexing the hand. However, the pain escalated as we kept riding, and by the end when we dropped off the tandem, my hand was swollen. So, off to ER we went, and you know the rest of it, including my colorful cast.

Lessons: Laughing in the face of danger sometimes lands you on your broken left hand. It may also nab you a lot more breakfasts in bed than usual, LOL...Atala has really been wonderful. And I want to thank everyone who has asked after my hand and everything, I appreciate you guys.

What next? The cast has obviously curtailed my athletic activities, but I'm going to see Sade this Sunday, and John Legend is opening. Double Whammy! Don't worry, you'll get to see the pics. :)

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone. Mwah!



38 comments:

  1. its good you're getting to enjoy other things even while your arm heals. i guessed as much that it was a bike fall cos of the initial picture. have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to see a concert means you're putting up well with the hand. Don't worry, a few more weeks and it'll be all in the past.
    Have fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww,the pictures r gorgeous!!!But i still don't belive that story!!!I have a more colorful conspiracy theory of "what reeeeeally happened"!!!*wink*wink*

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and uncle knows how to have fun, this is a very romantic way to get injured if i must say so :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Myne

    I know right the view of the lake is gorgeous, am almost about to say are you lying? I am so happy you are feeling much better, the concert sounds like fun already, I hope you have a BLAST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Myne

    I know right the view of the lake is gorgeous, am almost about to say are you lying? I am so happy you are feeling much better, the concert sounds like fun already, I hope you have a BLAST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. e-yaah! ride hide free ehn? :D

    Lovely pics...wow! at the dog.

    take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Stelz, I knew some would guess cos I was still wearing the same clothes.

    @MsJB, thanks desr, I'm counting down the three more weeks, lol...

    TNotes, now you have to share this exciting tale. We've had a lot of "accidents" *wink* but never got hurt, lol...

    @9jaFoodie, it started off like that o, and then tori changed. All my fault.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Yankee, the lake was fantastic that day.

    @Ibhade, thanks dear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my you actually went flying....sounds painful, sorry.
    Assumptions are so funny....so someone thought the mafia had got to you and beat you up huh...lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry about your hand injury... Hope it heals soon! At least you get some extra TLC from your hubby :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww... you both are super cute! Looks like it was lots of fun.

    Glad that your hand is okay, hope it gets back to normal asap!

    Have fun at the concert :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @GG, it's so funny, lol...

    @naijaamerican, thanks dear, I hope so too.

    @Blessings, Thank you so much, I echo the ASAP! lol...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no - it's always when I feel a little good at something that I end up doing something dumb. :(

    Heal fast and have fun at your concert!
    erica

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww what a way to end a beautiful day. Glad you're getting better though :D

    Adiya
    Muse Origins Features
    Muse Origins

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you heal quickly. At least you have a good story to tell about it. I had a hairline fracture in my arm once because I fell out of be reaching for the light! I felt really stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Erica, thank you, I guess I've learnt my lesson now, :)

    @Adiya, Yeah, sucked that day, but the hand is much better now, thanks.

    @Kmckendry, thank you so much. Sorry to hear about your hand, I also felt like that, cos I thought the fall was avoidable, lol...

    ReplyDelete
  18. so so sorry oh,thank God for Atala oh and glad you're hand is getting better,lemme see if I can fall on my left hand too,I need some romance.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing the pictures, but I came here expecting a story of hate for the blogfest. Oh well.

    If you get a chance, check out a fellow writer's zombie story and help me make him wear an embarrassing shirt next year! It's the ultimate grudge match between social media and the zombies. Details are here:
    http://kelworthfiles.wordpress.com/2011/07/19/prove-the-zombies-wrong-social-platforms-can-build-readership/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry about your hand.
    Came over from Tessa's blog for your I Hate You blogfest entry.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you Gretel. Be careful what you wish for, lol..

    @Diane and Kelworth, the blogfest story will be up tomorrow. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL... funny story. You are such a risk taker. I still remember the pictures from your hiking trip.... Thank God you only fell off a bike not a cliff :/

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so sorry about your fall Myne, but at least you had fun...lol. I read about it earlier but wasn't chanced to comment and say sorry. I'm really glad you are feeling much better now. Have fun at the concert :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you Prism and Shorty, and do have a good weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. awwww you guys are cute! I hope you got the back seat so Attala can do all the work. I am hating hard on Sade tickets, my GF saw her in DC said IT WAS PHENOMENAL!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. if you know how you and Atala insire me ehh! I go love oo.

    Hope you are really giving the hand its needed rest. Take care alright?!

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Ifunanya, how did you know? LOL...but on some of those hilly parts, I had to dig in.

    @Ginger, :) I'm glad. As for the hand, I'm trying o...

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOLing at 9jafoodie... "a romantic way to fall" lol

    It is well with you ma.
    BTW, the bikes seem longer than usual or is it just me?

    The dog amused me... Must have been well trained I reckon.

    - LDP

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good to know you are doing fine and the arm is healing fast!

    How was the concert? :)

    Have a blessed week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  30. @LDP, you're right, the bikes are longer than usual, they're for two people to ride at the same time.

    @Dee, thanks dear.

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOLing at 9jafoodie... "a romantic way to fall" I love the Pictures :) . Glad your hand is healing. wow at the Dog.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely pictures and I see you're getting better. Enjoyed reading too :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hope your hand is getting better? I dream of buying a pink bike but i don't know how to ride a bike...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  34. the pictures are lovely. i cant remember the last time i saw pure blue water. All d lakes and rivers in 9ja r all dirty #sadmuch. hope your hand heals fast tho :) have a lovely week ahead

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you guys, the hand is much better.

    @Sting, did you ride as a child? then I think you can easily ride again.

    @Msinfamous, you're right, especially the rivers. bar Beach is not so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  36. All, thanks for commiserating with Myne. Hopefully, the cast should be off, soon.

    @Ifunanya, Myne really did do the work climbing those hills o! At first, I thought that she was slacking. But when she decided to stop pedalling for a brief moment, I realised that she had definitely been helping out - my pedalling became more laboured, I began to huff and puff and become all woozy, and if she hadn't resumed pedalling again, who knows - there might have been two of us wearing casts today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hahahaha.

    Myne, I'm sorry, but I cannot help but laugh. You thought you have arrived ehn? LOL! My only regret now is that there's no video to show us exactly what you mean.

    By the way, seeing as you already have comment moderation, can you please allow comments from url users?? I'm no longer on Blogger, and I still have to leave comments as if I'm on Blogger :-(

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh wow! I'd like to try riding a bike for two people one day! I hope your hand heals soon. Lovely pictures :)

    Nogo xx

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.