Thursday, November 17, 2011

Beyonce's I was Here - Leaving footprints on the sands of time

Posted in: , , , ,
It's buzzing all over the news how Beyonce revealed clips of her previously secret wedding in her new video for I Was Here. Of course, the highlight is the wedding gown which is shown twice, front and back views (see the video the cut). For me though, the lyrics are more important. I've always believed it is good to have models and to say it when someone inspires me, and I confess Beyonce does, through some of her songs, and even sometimes in her life.

This song contains one of the thoughts that drive how I live my life. It's not all about me, there has to be a purpose for which I'm here that is bigger than what I want or what will make me happy. I ask myself, what about other people? How can I affect their lives, how can I make a difference? For me, that is the best perk of being a writer - creating something, and having the opportunity through my words, to reach out to so many other people. It's not about the money, nor about the fame, even as these can come in useful, but about viral ideas and influence. It's about sharing something you're passionate about, and having other people tap into it or benefit from it.

Someone complain that people who have a passion to change the world ought not to have families because they end up disappointing their loved ones by giving a large chunk of their time and energy to their passion. This can be true, and so I'm always impressed and want to learn from those who have found a balance. Those who live, who love, and at the same time, were there for their bigger community. For those who are married, it certainly helps when both of them share in that passion. But married, yet to, or single, we can DO something that will show when we're gone, that we were here.



I wanna leave my footprints on the sands of time
Know there was something that, and something that I left behind
When I leave this world, I'll leave no regrets
Leave something to remember, so they won't forget

I was here
I lived, I loved
I was here
I did, I've done, everything that I wanted
And it was more than I thought it would be
I will leave my mark so everyone will know
I was here

I want to say I lived each day, until I die
And know that I meant something in, somebody's life
The hearts I have touched, will be the proof that I leave
That I made a difference, and this world will see

I was here
I lived, I loved
I was here
I did, I've done, everything that I wanted
And it was more than I thought it would be
[ From: http://www.metrolyrics.com/i-was-here-lyrics-beyonce-knowles.html ]
I will leave my mark so everyone will know

I was here
I lived, I loved
I was here
I did, I've done, everything that I wanted
And it was more than I thought it would be
I will leave my mark so everyone will know
I was here

I just want them to know
That I gave my all, did my best
Brought someone to hapiness
Left this world a little better just because

I was here

I was here
I lived, I loved
I was here
I did, I've done, everything that I wanted
And it was more than I thought it would be
I will leave my mark so everyone will know
I was here

From MetroLyrics.com BEYONCE KNOWLES - I WAS HERE LYRICS



19 comments:

  1. I agree with you, the lyrics to this song are very strong. The video brought tears to my eyes but its more than her wedding dress, its how she sets her mind to accomplish something, puts her all into it, succeeds and sets all new goals.
    She inspires me because she shows us that if you keep at something, you will be victorious at the end...x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful video! I love it when she shows glimpses of her life behind the scenes.


    www.igbobaby.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Err, soor I am dragging us back to the pregnancy issue..lol. Was this concert before or after the pregnancy announcement? cause the bump is def smaller than at the announcement.

    Anyway, gotta give it to the girl, she's done her bit!! And what a large bit it is. Meanwhile she is really a beautiful girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Baldblackboy, she has indeed.

    @Stella, true true.

    @Igbobaby, it is sure nice :)

    Ginger, so you're one of those people, lol... Na she and her hubby business about the pregnancy, when them born, we say congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Beyonce and she has made her mark.

    ReplyDelete
  6. funny i wrote something about Bey and her song too today without having read your post. I'm not a fan as such cos I don't agree with everything about her but I do respect where she's come from and what she's achieved. The video and song was inspiring and also spoke to me a lot.Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was deep...though I dont care for her any which way these days anymore, I can't even hate on her sensationalism.

    She got it...she also proves that hardwork (with some other jara sha) pays off at the end (most times). Look at her consistency over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG i am so scared of not leaving a mark on earth! ..the lyrics motivate me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm all about leaving a legacy/fulfilling purpose...also family oriented, etc...wondering how I'll balance it all!

    Nice song sha

    ReplyDelete
  10. those are lovely words, i am inspired o!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Couldn't agree less. She inspires me a lot too. She is a very strong woman and I think every lady can learn that from her

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's definitely something about Beyonce.

    Inspirational

    ReplyDelete
  13. She's a powerhouse of talent. She's hardworking and has a powerful voice. This vid hit deep.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bless you Ms Myne!! the song is amazing, I wish people will just listen to it and stop with the dress already.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for all the kind comments, I appreciate them. Glad you found it inspiring too.

    @Blessing, it is truly a balancing act. Beyonce was lucky to have a husband who shared her dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  16. such an accomplished woman.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The 'What about other people' question is my motivation too. Living with that purpose at the back of your mind makes all the difference. And Myne, you've already made (and are still making) a difference.

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.