Tuesday, January 3, 2012

I'm included in the 50 Nigerians who made a Difference in 2011

Posted in:

Who would have thunk it? :)

Now I don't know who Our Reporter is, but I'm certainly grateful that they noticed and appreciate my work. When I got the email from Google alerts over the weekend, I couldn't believe it till I checked the website. In a list of notables and celebrities which included Goodluck Jonathan, Chinua Achebe, Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, Sanusi Lamido, Pastor Adeboye, DonJazzy, Dbanj, Mercy Johnson and Babatunde Fashola, I was tickled pink to see my name and the following citation;


Myne Whitman, Author and Literature Promoter

If there's anyone in recent years that have been vibrantly and unselfishly promoting Nigerian literature, that person has to be Nkem Akinsoto. Akinsoto, the author of two romantic novels 'A Heart To Mend' and 'A Love Rekindled', is however popularly known by her pen name 'Myne Whitman', a transliteration of her maiden name Nkem Okotcha, which she adopted as a secondary school student in Enugu.

Armed with a Masters degree in Public Health, Whitman who describes herself as “friendly, caring and fun-loving”, nowadays prefers to write, blog, and promote literature. A member of the Pacific Northwest Writers Association, she extends her tentacles to Nigeria via robust posts and criticisms on social media and most especially naijastories.com, a website she founded to promote and support Nigerian literature.

Little wonder she facilitated a session, "Social Media and the Book Publishing Industry", for the Publisher's Forum at the 2010 Garden City Literary Festival, Port Harcourt.

OK, so they have completely listed my full names, but it was never a secret anyway. Though I would've preferred a low profile for my person, I'm just too happy right now :)

Thank you all so much for your consistent support, I couldn't have continued on the road without you guys, and believe me, it is a hard road to making a difference. I have to say though, this is a time of small beginnings. By God's grace, the Myne Whitman brand and NaijaStories.com will be even bigger by the end of 2012.

Let's go there!



47 comments:

  1. Very well deserved honour for you, and a great recognition of your creative work. Let me be the first to say congratulations on here! More power to you*

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you!!!!

    Congrats dearie...many more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Myne go! Congratulations. More grease to your elbow. You deserve it. Can't wait for the new book.

    Missy Tee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. How amazing. That is fabulous news. I bet you're over the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go Myne! Awesomely proud of you. I agree with them.Keep up the good job in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heeeeeeeyyyyyy, I am so happy for you. This is not the height, it is just the beginning for you.

    Your efforts will be very impactful and recoginized.

    Once again, I am so happy for you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year Nkem! Anyway, I never really knew how to pronounce "Myne" lol...I have pronounced it in all kinds of versions...

    Keep on moving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Myne. You really really really deserve it, this is just the beginning. Happy new year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulation myne!!! well deserved :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That.is.awesome congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done, Myne. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've done wonderful work and as it shows, you've earned your place among notables.

    Way to go :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all so much for the kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A well deserved mention. Congrats Myne. This is the least we will hear of you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I stopped by to share this with you and read that you was selected as 50 who made a difference. So True.
    My challenge this year, The Versatile Challenge first quarter came about because i wanted to help inform readers of Nigerian authors. This came about after reading your blog and noticing the authors and their novels. so, for the first month, our reading challenge is to read and Nigerian author. i also have a few other ideas to promote people of color novels.

    ReplyDelete
  16. congratulations Myne. You deserved this award. That goes to show that hardwork, passion and determination pays eventually. I think you're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Che and Stelzz :)

    @Sidne, I'm glad I was an inspiration for that. I saw the challenge and hope to have a fresh review to link up when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! You continue to inspire so many of us with your hardwork and dedication. Cheers again!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awww Myne I'm proud of you! CONGRATS! You deserve it and many more.

    ReplyDelete
  20. #Dancingalanta#. Congratulations Ms Myne!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You absolutely deserve it ma! Congratulations...
    Happy New Year to you ma :)

    - LDP

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations! You obviously deserve it

    ReplyDelete
  23. awwwww, congrats Myne, you deserve it and much more. keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats Myne! *big smile*

    ReplyDelete
  25. congrats..u deserve it

    happy new year

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations! and Happy New Year.

    www.lagosmums.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Everytime I pick up a Nigerian writers book I think of you Myne. You are doing phenomenal work by just being. Some souls are simply meant for greatness.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations!

    From all I can see, it's not shocking that you were mentioned on the list.

    You are QUITE deserving.

    ReplyDelete
  29. congrats dearie. I am proud of you. I always tell everybody that I admire your marketing skills and I love your books.
    www.secretlilies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such a fantastic honor. I was lucky enough to find you during the platform building challenge. And you sure do have a platform that you're using to help others build a dream for themselves.

    Much continued success in the future Myne.

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations Myne...well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  32. yeahhh, to whom the cap fits, let him wear.....you CERTAINLY deserve this sis, I FELICITATE WITH YOU.
    Congrats and Welcome to your best year...
    cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congratulations! You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congratulations, Myne! You deserve the accolade.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congratulations on making the list. It's always to start the new year with some positive recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congratulations! And I say a big 'Amen' to more accomplishments in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congratulations! sorry this is coming a lil late but just got out of my blogville hiatus and saw your bit of good news! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh, you deserve a whole lot more, Myne! Glad that it's not just us bloggers who know what you're worth. Hope you get many more soon.

    Happy New Year, too.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Replies
    1. So you are even my namesake?
      double congrats then!
      May your light never fade!

      Delete
  40. Good to know. Nothing succeeds like success. Keep on keeping on. We're most proud of you.

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.