Saturday, January 7, 2012

Picture Weekend - Leavenworth Lighting Festival 2011

Posted in:
To my disappointment, we didn't get any snow last December, even up to now. Yes, disppointment, because I still like snow even though from my experience in 2010 when I had a book reading cancelled and almost missed my flight to Naija due to snow days, I still just like the idea of falling snow and everything being coated by the white stuff.

Anyway, as if a friend knew, she invited us to this festival in a city several miles from Seattle where she was certain there was snow. Not only that, they also have weekly Christmas Lighting Festivals where the town lights are switched on each evening. Leavenworth is a peculiar town in that it is mostly a tourist destination, and is patterned after a Bavarian Village. They have this to say on their website;

Remember when you were little, and you couldn't take your eyes off all the snow globes for the holidays? You remember your favorite? The one with the olde village straight out of The Sound Of Music? With the big horse pulling a sleigh downtown past carolers and kids sledding? Remember how much you wanted to step inside that snow globe? A trip to Leavenworth is about as close to the real thing as you're going to get.
It was indeed a great getaway. We went in the morning and spent most of the day there. About a couple of miles to the town, snow suddenly appeared by the sides of the road, it was like magic. Luckily, the roads had been cleared so we didn't need to use the snow tires that had been bought in preparation.


Oh yes, the horse-drawn carriage.

My first German Beer. Light and flavored, I loved it.

Schweinshax'n - or simply shank of swine. A bit like pork chops.

Loads of tourists

Our friends recommended the Taffy Shop

The wonderful carollers, they reminded me of my years going midnight caroling with other church members.

Before the lights go on...

The children get their fill of gamboling on the mini slope.

Santa Claus and the Mayor of Leavenworth

And the lights are on!


It was a great outing, our friends were great hosts and we all enjoyed the Christmas spirit of the town. I don't mind adding it to the Christmas must-do's whenever we're here for the holidays and there's no snow. :)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Mwah!



14 comments:

  1. That looks very interesting especially the food part :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't tell me all that swine was for just you :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken, it was indeed.

    @Azuka, that was for four people o, lol...

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks very interesting. I think I loved the flavored german beer the most. Even though I don't drink.
    I also thought i would have my first christmas but to my disappointment, I realized that it hardly snows in atlanta..sighs...
    www.secretlilies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Tam, that's true. Atlanta is more like the tropics in terms of weather. Thanks for coming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now this is a picture perfect place to go for vacation. You guys most def had fun. I'm teeny weeny jealous. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum yum! That looks amazing. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super amazing. I hope I get to visit there sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Che, Talli and Chizzy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really nice.
    There was no snow here as well.
    I really wonder what's going on with the whole world :)
    Though I like this spring kinda weather, I still did want a white xmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice pictures but I prefer the spring-like weather which we've had so far for most of the winter in the UK. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The German never fail to boast about their beer and bread anytime they get the opportunity. Would love to taste it someday.

    Nice pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice pictures.

    Leavenworth is our favorite place to be (other than home). We just got back from spending Christmas there.

    Not as much snow as usual this year, but the hills around are still snowy.

    We built a website to give tourists information about Leavenworth so they can enjoy their trip, or keep in touch after they leave. We have reviews, tips, etc. and a blog of our travels.

    Next time you come, drop by first to see what's happening in town.
    http://www.AccidentalBavarian.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Accidental Bavarian, welcome to my blog and thanks for your comments. I will check out your website cos it was really a lovely time out there.

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.