Monday, April 2, 2012

Forget Me Not - Love Potions in this Day and Age

Posted in: ,
Call it Echezonam, literally "Don't forget me", or Love Jazz or Juju, love potions are a way to sneakily get the emotions and attention of someone else. And it was usually women doing the jazzing to get a man to love them. Is it that men are not worried about getting women's attention?

Anyway, right from when I was younger, we heard stories of how women would prepare the man's favorite meal with some extra-curricular ingredients thrown in, hair, nails, blood or worse. Nowadays, I hear people prefer to have the babalawo do some incantations, or the pastor will just pray for them or give them blessed oil or handkerchief to use on the hapless victim.

So why am I talking about love potions? It seems I see it everywhere these days.

Grimm on NBC is one of the TV shows I have been watching steadily since it began to run last October, and I've been enjoying their retelling of the Brothers Grimm fairytales and some originals too. Last Friday, there was a subplot where a lady has to get a guy to love her. Since time is short and the guy had previously decided he wasn't interested in said lady, she chooses to go the love potion route, and bakes him a cookie.


The tasty chocolate chip cookie has has her blood and whatnot mixed in, and when the guy ate it, he starts seeing the lady everywhere, including his dreams. You can be sure that by the next episode or so, the man will be eating out of her hands.

In the movie preview of Mirror, Mirror (another fairytale retelling), Julia Roberts gets a man wrapped around her little finger by adding some kind of potion to his drink. When the man becomes too exuberant in his affections, she finds out she had given him puppy love and sends him off after a stick.

These examples got me thinking. Do women really use love jazz on men? What is going through their mind as they choose that option? The stories I've heard never end well, not for the man who either goes mad, or becomes a zombie, or for the woman, who is probably indebted to the love potion purveyor for ever. And especially in this day and age. Is there any justification for love potion?



26 comments:

  1. Love potions? I dont believe in them joo. or let me say i believe in the hallucinatory effect of opiod plants working on some parts of the recipients brain inducing a love-like but most temporary affection :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmm....well, i live in 9ja....so i can tell you authoritatively that it exists! Is like conjuring the man's spirit by the spiritualist and 'caging' him. The woman would be given instructions on what to do....some are incisions on her private part with incantations, that he can never let go after having sex with her .....some is the water used to wash her vagina first thing in the morning before urinating or taking her bath, then used to prepare his favourite meal.......sounds like nollywood script huh?......yes,but it is real! Stranger than fiction ehn? but it is real....Alfas, Pastors, bablawos, olokun all do it. How did i know all these?..............laughing...don't worry. I JUST KNOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They wash their kini? With bush or without bush? ok thats just disgusting. I have begun to pity our menfolk shaa

      Delete
    2. @SImply Mee: Africa magic abi? what will i not use my eyes to see

      Delete
    3. Laughing....so you guys don't believe abi?...ok, read this link.. i saw in Naira land. http://www.nairaland.com/903900/what-worst-relationship-advice-youve

      look for the name, cold feet...ehehhheee..let me knw you thoughts when you finish reading ehn? :D

      Delete
    4. Simply mee, are you coldfeet, or is that another story story?

      Delete
    5. Haba! MYNE WHITMAN!! Am not cold feet oo! It was because of this topic i went searching for an example in Nairaland, which is one of my fav reads...and it is not another STORY! STORY!..shiooo! I dey vex for you shaaaa! {ha! my mouth no go put me for trouble one day oooo..ehehehehe}

      NO! I don't watch africa magic.........bollywood is more of my thing.

      If you don't believe, it's no biggie..i grew up as the only female among brothers, uncles and cousins, so i heard a lot, that went down.

      Happy Easter :)

      Delete
  3. Simply Mee: lol. u just know??? pls do share how u know....... lol

    neways, i know girls are crazy these days and will go any length to keep a man, but i ask again, what do they gain???? just to be loved......... smh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uhm... my opinion... Get God in your life and overcome all love potions jare. Imagine?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daughter of AfricaApril 02, 2012 10:11 AM

    Simply me you just know lol? anyways where i come from on the african continent love potions have always been there but the interesting twist that i have only ever heard of from my part of the world is men "tying" their wives such that if they (wives that is)had sex with other men the two would be stuck together the man would not be able to withdraw until a native doctor separates them this ensured the wives remained faithful.....and it has happened true story...the wives on the other hand prepare a dish usually pastry based and sit on it before serving the husband to ensure the husband never cheats.....wonders will never cease!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daughter of AfricaApril 02, 2012 10:13 AM

      they sit on said pastry dish naked ensuring the vagina touches it before serving!

      Delete
    2. The male "tying" their wives is called "magun" where i am from. If any man sleeps with a woman who had been "magun-rized" he displays for a few minutes (drinking excessive amounts of water or acting weird) before he dies.

      Delete
    3. Daughter of Africa, that is so nasty! LOL...but why do these stories spread, and do they really work?

      Delete
  6. All I can say is....thank God I'm not a man!God help them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok i had no idea this whole love portion thing still existed really,but yes it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok so i had no idea this love portion things still existed sha,but yeah i do believe they are true.one just needs to pray hard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There was this one time during the Holy Ghost Service at the RCCG Camp ground some years ago, Daddy Adeboye asked that everyone close their eyes. He said there were women at the service who washed their *kini* to make soup for their husband. He asked that they come out for prayers. My Dear, women came out oh...... if it was for love or otherwise, i dont know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAO...So the soup they make, na only their husband dey chop am?
      Ladies and Gentlemen, if your significant other is making some suspicious insistence, watch your backs! Na only daddy fit chop this soup, na only mummy fit sleep on this side of the bed...Issorai!

      Delete
    2. I think you said it all HoneyDame, it seems that sometimes, those special soups can have something beyond what we can see attached. OK o

      Delete
  10. i dont believe in love spells or love potions... hopefully, i never start believing in them anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you never fall victim of them too.

      Delete
  11. These said love potions very much EXIST!!! My mother-in-law is a living witness to the evil machinations of voodoo potions. Life was perfect for my hubby (as a kid) with his siblings until the second wife came along. And for the past 25 years, my father-in-law (a renowned control freak) has been at the beck and call of the second wife, to the consternation of the rest of his family. If "African jazz" ain't at work here, then I don't know what is...

    ReplyDelete
  12. But wait oh! Has anybody actually SEEN any "magun-rized" duo b4 or any really scary jazzy scenario? I keep hearing all these things but ders no PHYSICAL proof that dey exist.....picture sef, I go manage!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know somebody will say "siddon der dey wait for proof" I'm not oblivious of d fact dat dey exist oh.....I jus need to see dat dey do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good day! This is my first comment here so I just wanted
    to give a quick shout out and say I genuinely enjoy reading through your articles.
    Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that deal
    with the same topics? Thank you!

    Feel free to surf to my homepage ... http://Social.xfire.com

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.