Thursday, January 17, 2013

My Afang Soup Recipe with Okazi and Spinach

Posted in: , , , ,

This was my first time of cooking Afang soup, ever, and I'm very happy at how it turned out. On one of our irregular trips to the African store, I picked up Utazi for my Nsala and when I saw a dried vegetable pack labelled Okazi, I also picked it up. I knew it was used in Afang soup, I had eaten it before and remembered it was a bit similar to Edika Iikong soup. I had made the latter before and thought, hey, I can make Afang with that recipe too.

To give kudos to whom it is due though, this would have been a disaster if not for coming across Eya's Afang recipe post before I made my soup. She mentioned that her Afang was pounded/ground. I was confused, but almost overlooked it. Her Afang was fresh and leafy, while mine was dry, store-packed and already cut. Still, that stuck.

Thank God for the internet. When I was ready to make mine, I googled ground Afang, and up popped some other Nigerian recipe sites. One specifically mentioned that when you buy dry, cut, store-packed Afang, you had to soak it in hot water for at least an hour, and then blend like a smoothie. And so the cooking began, with my adapted recipe below...



Ingredients

1 pack, dry, cut Okazi
5 pounds of your choice of beef, cut
1 pack of frozen sea-food mix
1 pack of frozen peeled and cooked shrimp
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large tomato, diced in large pieces
2 tablespoons of ground crayfish
3 teaspoons of ground pepper
1 cup of palm oil
2 cubes of maggi
2 packs of frozen chopped spinach
Salt to taste


Directions

1. Boil 3 cups of water, and then pour in the dry, cut Okazi leaves. Remove from heat and allow to soak.

2. Put the beef in two cups of water with half the onions, one cube of maggi, some salt and one teaspoon of pepper.

3. Bring to boil, add your palm oil, then simmer for 30 minutes or until cooked to your satisfaction. Turn off the heat or take the pot off the cooker.

4. Blend the rest of the pepper, crayfish, onions and diced tomatoes and put aside.

5. Add some cold water to the soaking Afang and then rinse out the leaves. Squeeze the water out and blend. Add just a little water if necessary.


6. Pour in your blended Okazi and Pepper mixture and stir till completely mixed up.

7. Continue to simmer for the next 20 - 25 minutes.

8. The ground Okazi acts like some kind of thickener as the stock dries up and the oil begins to separate from the rest of the mixture. [I wanted mine extra thick since the rest of my ingredients were frozen.]

9. Put in the frozen shrimp and mixed seafood, add the other cube of maggi, check for salt and then continue simmering for 10mins.


10. Add the spinach, stir completely and then reduce the heat. Allow to heat till it begins to gently simmer, and then turn off the heat.

Your soup is ready. Eat with a side of poundo or eba,With the quantity of ingredients used in this recipe, you should have some leftover for your rice or boiled yam/plaintain/potatoes.





33 comments:

  1. Omo,Myne,this is oyibo style oh! I have cooked afang so many times and this is definitely not it oh!
    Blending the afang like a smoothie....NO NO NO! My mum would kill you. Then stirring afang is what spoils the soup,afang should never be prepared for more than 45 mins,depending on quantity,else,the soup becomes thick which is no longer afang.
    But as along as yours came out well,it looks great. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Gretel, I know about 3 methods of cooking afang o.

      Delete
    2. Dis is definitely not d afang I know oooo...its maybe afang remix not the efik afang.
      If u were able to eat it then no probs.

      Delete
    3. This is definitely not Efik Afang since I'm not Efik, nor Gretel is it your mum's recipe. This is like I said, my adapted recipe, and it works very well indeed. Thanks.

      Delete
    4. Hehehehe! Myne,why am I not surprised this was your response? Well,you obviously felt I was calling you a bad cook,I clearly stated Oyibo style but its ok!! This can only be your recipe.

      Delete
    5. Thanks Gretel. Don't worry, I will hold you to teach me your style one of these days :)

      Delete
    6. This is how we make it abroad. Also we can hardly get water leaves here. I ate this yesterday at my Aunty's (we are Igbos.) Just soup because I'm on a no carbs diet. She told me how to do it the same way Myne described. What i liked though was that hers was dry. She said she used very little stock because the spinach (fresh and not frozen) will still bring out water. I have never liked ukazi as a stand alone soup as i find it hard. But blended and smooth made it easy for me to eat the soup.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Myne, it looks so good. I feel like leaking my screen right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *licking*
      fresh, chopped afang vegetable can be raw with salted palm oil.

      Delete
    2. Sorry about all my typos here. *can be eaten with salted palm oil.*

      Delete
    3. Thanks dear, but where I live, fresh afang is just a dream, lol. I'll bear that in mind sha.

      Delete
  3. Chei myne why na!you've just killed me with this beautiful food. Infact! I'm on my way to the market right away....gonna make me some afang too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only learning from experts like you and Eya. thanks so much.

      Delete
  4. My favorite Nigerian soup on earth (Efik style). I make the 'Igbo' kind, too. Also really good; just not my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks rmj, I hope someone else doesn't come to dispute if this is the Igbo style :)

      Delete
  5. Awww it looks yum! Now I want some afang!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lohi. Your food and photos sure gives me life, and ideas too :)

      Delete
  6. I love the green look and wld want to try it with my white rice instead of using regular stew. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Debby. I will share later today, other uses for this :)

      Delete
  7. oh boy! I should add cooking to my new years resolutions :\

    ReplyDelete
  8. Myne Myne Myne all this your yummy looking food is making my mouth water o. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks yummy but i am afraid all nutrients will be lost from soaking the afang in hot water for 30 minutes...
    Afang is Okazi yes? i pound mine too since the leaves are tough and it comes out a bit chewy....

    also as a healther option, blend oats and make over fire like semo/poundo....its very good for soups too and super healthy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try the oats for swallow option, I've heard that before too but never tried it. As for the nutrients in the Afang, it is OK for me since the spinach is even more plenteous and is added at the end so retains the nutrients. I used the Afang for the taste and as thickener.

      Delete
    2. Pound? In this day and age? Blender please.

      Delete
  10. HA!!! i found fresh okazi leaves, i would be more than glad to mail some to you oh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Choi! My wife must know how to cook o! haaaaaaa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Choi!!! My wife must know how to cook all these delicacies oh ...

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.