Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Having a Wedding for the Sake of The Ancestors

Posted in: , , ,


Was I the only one who thought the reports of 8 years old Sanele Masilela's marriage to 61years old Helen Shabangu in Tshwane, South Africa, were, in the words of Twain, greatly exaggerated? I had seen the news several weeks before it went viral through the British tabloid media. Now they are sensationalising reports of the boy having dinner with his "wife".

What had made me read and flip the page was the part of the initial report that stated clearly that the wedding ceremony was not legally binding and was just a ritual prompted by the boy who said his dead grandfather whom he was named after wanted a white wedding.

If there's anything interesting about the whole thing, I think it's that their whole community is very supersitious, which is their own look out. Or, the boy is probably spoilt, and gets his way whenever he wants something. Naming him after his dead grandfather may have something to do with it sha. Therefore, no Babatunde, Nnenna, or Nnanna names for me :)





7 comments:

  1. I completely agree that these reports have been greatly exaggerated. However I disagree that the whole community is very superstitious, they are just practising their own religion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see now that superstitious is too value laden, I meant they followed their tradition which probably allows for speaking with the dead.

      Delete
  2. This is not religion, this is culture..Dont know why I find this very funny... Oh Well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just find it not so sensational as the papers make it.

      Delete
  3. This is just too funny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...Some people are getting very worked up, you know?

      Delete
  4. The grandfather just wanted to marry this woman into his family, dead or alive.

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.