Thursday, April 18, 2013

Bringing Google+ Comments to Blogger

Posted in: ,

+Blogger as we know it is changing by the day, and that is because Google, their Oga at the top, is becoming more and more interested in going social. To boost Google Adsense in 2009, they integrated it with blogger, and some insist that sounded the death knell for blogging. I'm not sure it's a bad thing, it's very useful for me, just like this new development may be.The want G+ comments, which will work a bit like Facebook comments, to replace Blogger comments.

After experimenting with Google Wave and Google Buzz, Google+ is now the de facto social site for all things Google, and it's not surprising they want to integrate it with Blogger, another of their strong social platforms. First it was the G+ sharing buttons, then the G+ circles (which killed Friend Connect BTW), and the G+ authorship that boosts your blog's search rankings.

According to the email I received,

Once you enable Google+ Comments, people can share the comments they make on your blog to their circles in Google+, helping you reach people that they know. And there's more: mentions of your posts on Google+ automatically show up right in your blog's comments, so you can see more of people’s public conversations about your content (and private conversations you’re part of).

I won't say I'm not tempted, it will save me double work as I currently also reply people who comment via G+ separately from this blog. I can then do the blog comment replies all in one place. I've tried the G+ comments on one of my more quiet sites, and this is what it looks like, click here.

For those who already set their blogs to registered users only, it may be worth checking out.

Here's how to add Google+ Comments to your blog:
1. Sign in to Blogger
2. Click on the “Google+” tab in your blog’s Dashboard
3. Upgrade to Google+ if you haven’t already done so
4. Enable Google+ Comments. Comments already made on your posts will keep working in the new widget.


My main worry with switching to the new G+ comments is that it will preclude those who are on wordpress, and even on blogger but without a G+ page from joining the conversation.  And then what of the Anonymouses? I love you guys o, so I want to hear if you, as an Anon already have a G+ or Google profile and if updating to the G+ comments will make it easier or harder for you to comment. For those who are not Anon, I would also like to hear from you, do you think registered commenting improves the discussion?

For bloggers, read more about G+ comments here.




2 comments:

  1. Lol I dnt think this is good for us supposed Anon bloggers. Na to close down my blog be that or maybe start afresh with my Government identity :) oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I was still on blogger, this would have been absolutely amazing for me cos I hated/abhored Anonymous commenting (no offence to anons but they always seemed to be the ones starting fights). I'd rather people start something with a name... imagine a bunch of Anon's attacking each other? Looks like one person with multiple personalities fightihg with himself smh

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.