Thursday, June 20, 2013

Soft Nigerian Beans - Eat With Fried Plantain

Posted in: , , ,

I posted a picture of this beans and plantain in Instagram as one of the best dinners I've ever had. It was that good. Atala cooked the beans, I made the plantain, but as you can guess, the beans was the best part of the meal. I had to pry that secret recipe from Atala.


Most men don't know how to cook and to impress their women, they may have to depend on home delivery options like a few we have here, and hellofood for those in Nigeria. Not Atala. Though I cook at least 80% of the meals we eat, any meal where he has an input usually has an extra edge. I hope you love this recipe like I did.

Ingredients:

2 packs of brown beans, rinsed and drained
3 ladlefuls of vegetable oil
2 large tins of tomato puree
5 medium sized fresh tomatoes, chopped and blended
2 large chopped onions, blended
3 habanero peppers, blended
3 Red Bell Peppers, blended
2 cubes of knorr
Salt and other mixed spices to taste


COOKING THE BROWN BEANS

1. In a large pressure cooker, pour in enough water to cover the beans twice.

2. Add one ladle of oil and some salt.

3. Cook the beans for 1 hour over medium-high heat.

4. Remove from heat and allow to depressurize.



MIXING THE BEANS

1. Mash the beans to your liking With a wooden ladle.

2. Pour in the oil and stir.

3. Add the tomato puree, blended tomato, onions and peppers and stir.

4. Don't forget your knorr and spices.

5. Continue to simmer on medium heat another 20 minutes. Stir every 5 mins.

6. Stir completely, taste and lower heat to prevent burning.

7. Remove from heat after another 10 mins.

Your food is ready. This can serve up to 10 people. I usually put the rest in a plastic tupperware and store in the freezer. And one good thing, this tastes better after it is reheated, especially if you add some delicious dodo like in these pictures :)



17 comments:

  1. Beans and plantain happens to be my favorite meal and my friends often wonder how I 'do it'! duh..
    We just concluded an intensive training at work and the caterer brought few packs of beans and plantain along with rice and chicken and spaghetti bla bla bla...I had beans for lunch- the entire training! A happy belly, a happier brain!

    ...doing my beans dance..he he he he

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...I was almost dancing while eating this. It was that good :)

      Delete
  2. Sadly,I don't know "jack" about preparing beans even though its my husband's fav food...and then you came along with this mouth watering recipe...let's see how Sunday goes,I'll let you know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When done well, beans can be very good and filling too. I hope it works out.

      Delete
  3. This is good Myne. I love soft beans especially with lots of crayfish.
    Well done Atala.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eya. This was really good, Atala will hear :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this recipe,no matter how much I cook my beans its never mashed up like dis,so hopefully this recipe will work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and let me know how it works out.

      Delete
  5. Yay!!!! First time coment.thanks for the recipe. Always wondering how its done. Ummmm....who's Alata?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Atala is my husband, and soft beans chef :)

      Delete
  6. This is similar to a traditional Ghanaian dish ("red red"), except we use palm oil and black-eyed beans instead of brown beans. Very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We make that too, and could be used to replace the oil and beans in this recipe :)

      Delete
  7. This i exactly what i crave this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm this looks good! One of my favourite dishes.
    Check out my 'beans and plantain cake' recipe. A bit wacky but it tasted amazing :)
    www.vegannigerian.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear, this recipe calls for 3 ladles of oil. That's a lot of oil!! We are talking about the large sized utensil that you normally scoop soup out of the pot with.(smile) I just wanted to verify with you before I attempt making this dish. In terms of ounces and cups how much do you figure that to be? I'm hungry! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.