Sunday, July 21, 2013

#Childnotbride - Stories of Early Marriages, Pregnancy and VVF

Posted in: , ,

The #childnotbride campaign should not tied to the irrelevant section 29 of the constitution but any activism to stop marriage before the age of majority, which is 18 according to the Child Right Act is a worthy cause. Like Atala pointed out, if the spark of the amendment changes is what will fire up the debate and gear the people into action, then this may just be the time.

Stephanie Okereke has just released the unofficial trailer to her movie, Dry. The movie tells of the pain, and loss of childhood that can be the lot of a girl child married before she is physically and mentally ready.

You can sign the petition HERE - Nigerian Senate: Stop under-aged child marriage

1. Adolescent pregnancy brings detrimental social and economic consequences for a girl, her family, her community and her nation.
2.The risk of maternal mortality is higher for adolescent girls
3.Many girls who become pregnant drop out of school, drastically limiting their future opportunities. Adolescent pregnancy only fuels the intergenerational cycle of poverty and ill health
4.They are still minors and their sexual reproductive rights should be protected

DRY by Stephanie Okereke

Zara and Halima find themselves in the same cultural trap full of ignorance and cruelty regardless of their of background they each struggle to survive and make some meaning out of their lives.







5 comments:

  1. I can't read the story because I don't have the heart.

    I agree with you, I think even though the actual occurrence in the Senate was not exactly what we thought originally, I'm just happy that the issue is finally in the limelight and even though the light upon it will probably dim in a week or two. Hopefully, in this week or two enough people are gingered and educated so that they know that this is a reality for some girls and that they know that just because it's not them it's not any less real and painful.

    Thanks Myne, http://www.nollywoodreinvented.com/2013/07/coming-soon-dry.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to read the story amidst sighs.. I see these kids on the streets and I cant help but wonder

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this with tears. Lord have mercy. This is purely a case of depriving a children of their childhood I still remember Michael's song in which he asked "Where is my childhood." These people are obviously demented. Women let's stand for the right of our daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this with tears. Lord have mercy. This is purely a case of depriving a children of their childhood I still remember Michael's song in which he asked "Where is my childhood." These people are obviously demented. Women let's stand for the right of our daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there! This is kind of off topic but I need
    some advice from an established blog. Is it
    difficult to set up your own blog? I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I'm thinking about
    setting up my own but I'm not sure where to begin. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? With thanks

    my page; data loggers - -

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.