Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Are You Still Rooting For Olivia Pope on Scandal?

Posted in: ,

Since being in Nigeria, I've found myself being in the position of recommender of good movies and series coming out of the States. One of my favorite shows for the past couple of years has been Scandal and I have mentioned it to various people without going into details about the story line. To be honest though, while I still follow the show, I've kinda become jaded to the love story between Olivia and the president which started out as my favorite storyline.

My main attraction to the show these days is the mystery of Olivia Pope's fixing jobs, her parents and the president's past. Still I am in the minority. Millions of Scandal's fans are still going gaga over the love triangle of a married president with a mistress whom his wife knows about and horror of horrors, condones!

And the fact is that most of these fans are rooting for Olivia Pope, the mistress in the show. The actress who plays the role of the president's wife in Scandal was on the Wendy Williams Show [pictured above] and says of their storyline;

“I make of it, Shonda’s genius. She started this story, sort of in a pinhole. And you were just looking at their love and their relationship. And you’re like, ‘Oh God, yes, I feel that. I feel that. I want that for them,’ and then she slowly pulled back and you got the context. And you’re like, ‘Oh, oh, I’m pulling for adultery. Who does that make me? But her kind of storytelling, she lets the characters be so messy. It let’s you examine you, because you find out what you pull for and who you pull for.” 

So my question is, who are you pulling for at this stage?

At this point, it must be obvious I'm team Mellie the wife - not because I'm married like some of my friends have argued, but because she seems to be the only one who knows what she wants and works to the the end to get it.





10 comments:

  1. I'm so inlove with Olivia and the President.Such forbidden love but passionate.Besides the president's wife condones the adultery...anything to make him stay in power even if it means sharing him with Olivia..
    I'm so addicted to this series..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The writers sure know what they're doing, most people can't stay away.

      Delete
  2. How can you support Mellie? She's such a bitch! Team OliviaFitz forever! LOL..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes life makes us bitches, lol...

      Delete
    2. Really, Myne? You are becoming more daring by the day...LOVE IT! Lol D

      Delete
  3. It's funny that from the first day I started to watch Scandal, I never rooted for Olivia and I'm not married. Lol, I don't like Mellie either because her love for power is absurd.For me, it's not just a basic drama anymore, it's getting really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, the show is upping the ante everyday. I used to root for Olivia but she and the president have fall my hand too many times.

      Delete
  4. Myne, honey, I no gree here oh...

    Mellie is a basket case. You think she knows what she wants?

    Season 1, She wanted Power (she was a badass),

    Season 2, it was Fitz's attention/Love...(thus began the annoyance that is Mellie);

    now Season 3? Honey, she begged Olivia Pope to bunk with her husband,okay? talking about how he can't breath without her, can't think without her...because he needs her (Olivia). She just fall my hand there...

    Mellie from season 2 till date is the kind of female character that I will never relate with because at the end of the day, dignity should apply. Mellie lost her dignity when she begged Olivia Pope to come back. That pissed me off.

    And then Shonda went low and cheap by trying to manipulate our Anti-Mellie feelings. She could not think of another way to get the viewers to sympathize with Mellie? she had to go with rape?

    I'm ranting. Sorry. But after this particular discovery, I semi-quitted the show.

    Ps. Spolier. Should your husband build another woman, her bigass dream house in the middle of Vermort, or anywhere in the world, I would suggest you start thinking about your future, without said man. ASAP. There is no battle to be fought, not when it has already been lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mellie is power hungry, she never wanted Fitz's love, all was a gimmick to land her a better place after Fitz is done as presido. I think the rape actually makes sense, sometimes losing individual integrity in that way can make people mad for what they percieve as power. But I agree with you, in real life my advice to Mellie will be, get out and do it on your own.

      Delete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.