Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Three Weeks in Nigeria and Just Catching My Breath

Posted in: , ,

I came to Nigeria for a project and I'll be here for till the New Year, all things being equal. After the mad rush of my first weeks, I'm finally beginning to breathe and get my bearings. I've spent most of this time in Lagos, and as if to punish me for not being a fan, the city has been dealing with me, mostly through light and traffic. Power is peripatetic to the worst degree, and the traffic na die!




These pictures were taken yesterday at a Creative Enterprise Expo I attended in Ikeja - it took us almost two hours to get there, a trip I had done at a previous day and time and without traffic in just over 30mins. But we got there, the event started late, and I had a great time.

Mo Abudu, Jason Njoku and Folarin of Tiffany Amber, as well as Amaka Igwe and Joke Silva among others, were speakers at the event, and I got the opportunity to make connections.

And that's maybe the thing about Nigeria for me. The infrastructure is poor compared to what I'm getting used to in the States, but I spent over 25 of the first years of my life here and can remember to how to deal. Moreso, in the seven years I've lived abroad, I've visited Nigeria five times and kept abreast of developments.

Most importantly, when I consider how easy it is for me to make high level connections here and the opportunities available to me, it is easy to close my eyes to most of the discomfort, and leave it to God, hehehe. Yes o, it's now clearer to me why many in Nigeria use religion and their pastor's words as safety blankets, this country will make you crazy quickly otherwise. LOL...

So, I'll be bringing you reports of what I've been doing since I arrived, the British Council Publishers Forum, the Lagos Book and Art Fair - LABAF, Ake Festival in Abeokuta, welcoming my new niece in Asaba, yes o, this lady is a first time Aunty and it feels good, and many more. Stay tuned and if you're in Lagos and want to meet up, shoot me an email.




17 comments:

  1. Good going, Myne. Have a blast, and I wish you much success from this venture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Lasgidi......Lagos rocks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has it's moments but I'm rocking it :)

      Delete
  3. Aww, welcome home Myne.....I wish you all the very best

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Myne. Are you gonna come to Abuja? Would love to meet you. Can I have your number to call if its ok by you. My name is Ify

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ify, I'm not sure now that Abuja is possible but who knows? I can't put my number here, but you can email me at myne at mynewhitman dot com.

      Delete
  5. Welcome Myne, hope say u bring bread come?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julieth. I bring o, but they don finish, lol...

      Delete
  6. Have a good time and try to keep sane.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one trip I hope to take before I see my last days upon this earth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your face is really glowing in this picture. Naija Traffic Vs. Myne: You have fought the good fight and will emerge victorious at the end, lol. Welcome home :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome home. Be careful of strangers OOOOOOOOO. Dear one kidnappers are everywhere oooo. God bless all of yours.

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.