Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Nigerians Have Arrived - The Controversial Tatler Article about Young and Rich Nigerians in the UK

Posted in: , ,

I know I am late to the party, I am as busy as I've ever been, but I just came across this Tatler article in their December 2013 issue that features an article on Nigeria’s growing “young moneyed” set highlighting people like Florence “Cuppy” Otedola, Eku and her twin sister, Kessie Edewor, Misan Harriman, Rotimi Alakija, Chin Okeke, Richard Vedelago, Adora Mba and Kola Karim. The British society magazine describes these Nigerians as having billionaire parents, boarding school credentials and private jet passes.


According to Tatler, they are the new set of Nigerians makings things happen – especially the United Kingdom where Nigerians are the “sixth-highest foreign spenders” while up to 70% back home live in poverty.  I read on Bellanaija that many of those featured and their families are upset about the article's judgmental tone. Afripopmag puts up a robust defense as well as indictment for both Tatler and the featured Nigerians.






Read the article below and let's discuss!




3 comments:

  1. Its laughable that some of the people featured and their parents are upset by the article. The kids were happy to be professionally styled, and posed for the photoshoots. They were also quoted extensively .After all, they are only flaunting their 'priviledges' the same way their parents flaunt theirs.The apple does not fall far from the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recall reading this article about a week ago and I was struck by conflicting emotions. I can't criticize anyone, simply because I wasn't born in their shoes. The sad reality of the matter is that in Nigeria, some people were born with silver spoons, some stole silver spoons and fed their kids with it, while majority use regular spoons and eat with their hands. Do I expect Dangote's child to attend a Naija University? Certainly not, a lion cannot be a vegetarian.

    As to the presumed 'cockiness' portrayed by some of the 'kids', tis a matter of perspective. As a child you do not question your parent's wealth, you simply enjoy. When you grow up and become an adult, you want to 'take care of your own children' too. As for the champagne extravagance and fancy cars, all I can do is quote an article by an American fella I read a few months ago:

    "...The problem with Nigeria is not corruption, the main issue is the degree/extent of corruption. If you replace the current 75 senators with random people picked up from the street, they'll be worse and more corrupt than the people you've replaced.."

    If the sons and daughters of Arab sheikhs drive bentleys and porsches, what more do you expect from their Nigerian counterparts? In the language of the 'average Nigerian', "our turn go soon come...". That to me symbolizes the "Audacity of Hope"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tatler got it wrong. These lot are parvenu. I mean, let's face it, if you're Nigerian and your name is Florence...

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.