Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Simpsons Co-Creator Dying of Cancer Will Donate His $100 Million Fortune to Charity

Posted in: , ,

59-year-old "Simpsons" co-creator, Sam Simon was told he had just three months to live in 2012 if he doesn't get treatment. Years later, he's doing all he can to stay alive and healthy, and fulfill his purpose. And for now, what gives him the most joy is helping those who can't help themselves and those in need.

Simon has no children and is not married so he wants to give his millions to causes he cares about. He explained in an interview with Maria Shriver for NBC News, that the causes closest to his heart directly involve animals.

I think that my passion for the animals and against animal abuse is based on the knowledge that these creatures who feel and think can’t speak for themselves and they’re dependent on us for that. And so I feel it’s my responsibility to speak for those that can’t speak for themselves.

Sam Simon also insists that he's as happy as he’s ever been, and his happiness is a direct result of his cancer diagnosis.

Somehow, I ended up surrounded by people that love me and take care of me and will do anything for me. It’s a good feeling. That’s called happiness. I think I may have had a problem letting it in before. Cancer has been a fight, a journey, an adventure and the most amazing experience of my life.

Still battling with his diagnosis of terminal colon cancer, Simon Simon talked about his experience so far, after having survived for more than a year than he had been initially given.

They showed me my scans. They said these are the scans of a dead man. I said, 'Is it curable?' And they said, 'We don't use that word. The doctor said, 'I can't cure you, but my job is to keep you alive. And he has done a remarkable job of it. He has done great. I have never been happier, so thank you doctor.

Cancer is a horrible disease. I am struggling with it. Its everything that everybody always tells you. It's a journey, it's a fight. But, if you want publicity and you want to pick up girls, then cancer is the greatest thing in the world.

Sam Simon is giving away his massive fortune to The Sam Simon Foundation's Mobile Veterinary Clinic, PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals), and Save the Children. His foundation also funds projects such as 'Feeding Families' to help with the underprivileged in inner cities.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.