Sunday, January 16, 2011

Weekend Pictures - Celebrity Spotting

Posted in: , ,
Hello everyone, hope your days have been going well? may this new week usher in lots and favor, blessings and success for us all. I'm catching up small, small, but have so many reports to write and all. This is the easy one, as they say, a picture is like a thousand words. I had the opportunity in Nigeria to meet so many people I admire, especially the acclaimed authors I met at the Garden City Literary Festival (GCLF) and a chance encounter with Uche Jombo at the Silverbird Galleria. I was on a visit to check on my book at the Lifestyle store and was taking a drink at Barcelos when she walked in, couldn't miss it can I?

Yeah yeah yeah, some people have yabbed me for my love of celebrities, lol...

Enjoy...



With the great man himself, Wole Soyinka, Nobel Laureate and author of several books - novels, plays, essays and autobiographies.



Helon Habila, I read his book Measuring Time last year and was impressed. Not my best book but a worthy commentary on the state of the nation. Others think so too...Samuel Kolawole, author of The Book of M, middle...


From L -R (Karen King-Aribisala is of the Dept. of English, University of Lagos, Nigeria. The author of Our Wife and Other Stories and Kicking Tongues, she won the Best First Book Award of the Commonwealth Writers' Prize in 1991, Abdul, a contributor on Naijastories.com and participant at the festival, MOI!, Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani, author of I Do Not Come to You by Chance, her first book, and winner of Commonwealth Writers Prize, Publisher of Wole Soyinka's books - BookKfraft, Kaine Agary is the author of Yellow Yellow, and winner of the NLNG Literature prize for best Fiction )


Author in white cap is Chukwuemeka Ike, with several books under his belt including, Sunset at Dawn, Potter's Wheel and Bottled Leopard. The last is one book I'll never forget.


With Lindsay Barret, Photojournalist/author and Bibi Bakare-Yusuf, Publisher of Cassava Republic Press, one of the progressive houses in the Nigerian book industry.


Sefi Attah, After I got back to reading Nigerian authors in 2004, her book Everything Good Will Come, was one of the first I read and it was great having this chance to tell her how much I enjoyed it. Unknown to me she had been talking about me on her FB fan page and asked for a copy of AHTM


Right, Zainab Jallo, playwright, "Onions make us Cry" which was shortlisted for the NLNG Lit Prize for Drama



Evelyn Osagie, reporter and writer for the Nation newspapers. She recognised me from the book presentation and came over to introduce herself. It was a nice start to an early morning.


Uche Jombo, a Nigerian actress who has appeared in many movies. I didn't know she was a smallie like me :) Sorry I can't rotate the pic, my BB refused o.


Yes o, Seye is a celebrity. But what I like more is what I sense is between his ears. Goodstuff!


With Helon and another fan.

Enhanced by Zemanta



25 comments:

  1. So that is what Chukwuemeka Ike looks like. His book was a required reading for my JSSCE. I enjoyed it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice...these are some amazing pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool pictures...glad you had an awesome trip

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pics....Meeting Prof Soyinka would have been the highlight for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice photos myne. u sure had a gr8 time

    ReplyDelete
  6. Myne I'm officially jealous. You've met half of the literary people in Naija I hope to meet at some point. Kudos! Nwata kwoo aka osoro eze rie nri (did I get that??).
    Thankfully we still have you close to us here on blogville(*wink) Don't change ooo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow...u r going place...soo proud of u...wen i grow up i wanna be like u..just curious u looks really petite but how tall are u?

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol@uche being a smallie like u :)
    cool pics

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice...haha!

    Wont mind meeting Wole Soyinka

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh, The nobel laureate himself, u try o...lol, stretch forth ur hands and pass the anointing o (as our pple wud say)....hehehe!!!

    Real happy for you, things seem to be moving on well, gud luck with the reports and all...hope they turn out well too

    ReplyDelete
  11. It must really feel good to rub minds wit all those creative people. BTW the pix with helon and the fan, was it deliberate that yáll lined up according to ur height? (runs away)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seye Kuyinu in the same post as Wole Soyinka? Cooooooool!!!!

    I am a big fan of Soyinka, a bigger fan of Seye :)

    I am glad you had a great time in Naija, Myne. These pictures do tell.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! You rubbed shoulders with some major literary giants o! Next time please take me in your hand luggage? From one smallie to another :)Well done Myne.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice to be able to put some names to faces. See your cute self. You dey enjoy o:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Buahahahaha @ pet project,yhu a real clown,Go myne,go myne,go?gosh so thrilled to see chukwuemeka Ike.
    Miss yhu

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks all, Nigerian was really a fun trip. I enjoyed it all the way.

    @ Ginger, yeah you got it right, lol

    @Film addict, the smallest you can think of. The pics are there, guess!

    @Gretel, missed you too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wole Soyinka + Seye Kuyinu ... awwww!!!

    Bia, I'm still angry that you traveled oh!

    Bia, why didn't you just e-mail the BB pic to yourself, open it in Windows Picture Viewer [or its equivalent in Mac] and flip it? I'm sure Seye will even have a more complicated (although more efficient) way of doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Vera, I have to try that. I simply uploaded and rotated and no joy..

    ReplyDelete
  19. seems like you had a great time. I think its only wole soyinka, uche jumbo and seye i recognised in these pics.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks BSNC, I did. Ahh..so now you can recognize the others too if you see them elsewhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome! I wish I could have been there. Come to think of it, I actually have some pics from when I met Helon Habila and Helen Oyeyemi. I'll post them on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've heard a lot of Helen Oyeyemi and actually enjoyed one of her books, The Icarus Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wowz. Your choice of words only means you're back to your nest. I'm sure saying you had a great time would be unforgivably understating it! Always good to re-connect with the roots

    Kinda wished our paths woulda crossed - but my "brownian motion" did little to aid my cause.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Myne on the high,
    Others in the bush

    ReplyDelete
  25. haha MYne u r soo funny...maybe 5'1? anyways like i earlier said, u r doing a good job!

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.