Monday, February 7, 2011

The kind of person I’d like to marry - Real Love Story

Posted in: , ,
By JustJoxy

hello dear people, and happy Monday! Like I said, I'll be giving out a chapter of A Love Rekindled to the first person to comment. Go ahead and enjoy the real love story for today.


T came up to me as I was sorting mail in my job as a casual post office sorter. It was my last week of employment after having worked there on and off over the past five years. He was a permanent member of staff and I didn’t even notice he was standing beside me till he said hello. I looked up and up and said hello in return. He asked how I was doing, and we exchanged names and chatted for a short while before he had to go on his break. I can’t remember what we both said, but I do know we discovered we both went to the same church, even though I’d never seen him there before.

After he left, I turned to my friends and said something like ‘I’ve met the kind of person I’d like to marry’ or words to that effect. They asked me if he’d worn a wedding band, but I’d not thought to check. It turned out that even though he wasn’t married, he was dating a girl in church. I didn’t mind, it was nice to be friends with a guy who was being genuinely friendly without any strings attached, and I enjoyed the few more conversations we had before I left Royal Mail later that week.

My prayer life changed. My prayer was ‘Dear God, after so long, I have finally met the kind of person I’d like to marry. Lord, please make it happen according to your will.’

This was in December 1994, a few weeks before Christmas. I was travelling to America for the first time early in the New Year too, and was looking forward to my trip. I had a lovely time while I was away, and when I got back, he told me his girlfriend had broken up with him. I commiserated with him, but I was turning cartwheels on the inside!


And so we became good friends, he worked in the transport department at church, so after service, if he was driving, I’d sit up front with him while he made his drops. We chatted nonstop and the more I found out about him, the more I liked him. Eventually after months of platonic friendship, he popped the question in August 1995, and I said yes. I didn’t have an engagement ring, he couldn’t afford the type I’d like, but I didn’t care, I was happy to wait.

We got married in July 2000, and it was the happiest moment of my life when I walked up that aisle and he turned to smile at me. My wedding band cost £9.99, and his was second-hand, but none of that mattered. (Our bands have since been upgraded, plus I have a ¾ carat diamond engagement ring)

My parents had liked him from the first moment they met him, and to date, he’s more their son than I am their daughter! We have three lovely daughters, and he takes care of all four of us like royalty. T is genuinely one of the nicest men I have ever met, and I know I am one extremely blessed woman to have married him.



33 comments:

  1. Yay!!! I am first!!! My kindle please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. **Covering face in shame** Did I say kindle? The title of the book must have gotten into my head. I do not think I g=have found the "perfect" person sha. buh again Let God's will be done.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My prayer life changed. My prayer was ‘Dear God, after so long, I have finally met the kind of person I’d like to marry. Lord, please make it happen according to your will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Lord,

    Send me my man...just like you sent her, her man

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice story. God answers prayers and the friendship with your partner is also important.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was so nice to read.

    I'm glad to see that there are still happy endings.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice story, but am I the only one that noticed the time line is all over the place? Prayer in Dec 1994, Popped the question in August 2005, Married in July 2000. Myne pls help!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry Tee, that must have been a typo, it's been corrected now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol thought i would be the first to leave a comment. but this is so touching and i love it. lovely ending to.
    www.secretslilies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. @HoneyDame, please tell me which chapter you'd prefer to read. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet! I laughed at that prayer cos it looked like she "prayed" the other girl out, lol.

    Very nice

    ReplyDelete
  12. awww I do not know why but I grinned from cheek to cheeck as i read this story. Please keep more real love stories coming. The Beauty of celebrating the "Reality of REAL LOVE" .... favorite part of the story, " My Prayer life changed" ... Belissimo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, what a fantastic story! Just... lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww that is sooo cute!...sniff sniff!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww...I have goose bumps all over...this is such a luvly story.
    The wait for the wedding bands are such an inspiring story #ragstoriches

    Hahaha...on the flip side, she prayerfully seized the dude from another girl. lol.

    I want a prince too...:(
    lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both you and T are blessed to have each other. You are both such lovely people and I'm a witness to your loving relationship.

    Here's to many more wonderful years together.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just a quick visit, wanted to say how much I love your blog. I'll have to spend a little while visiting and looking around. Thanks for being here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. awww,... real nice stowie nd the fact that its true makes it even more endearing.
    glad she got her prayer request :p

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want the first chapter...Thank You soo much...

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is soooo romantic...i like the part of "he takes care of all four of us like royalty..." such men are rare...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awwwwwwwww. Joxy! If only you "borned" one son. Why only daughters? I for marry one of your sons na. He'd probably be like his daddy :-)

    That's such a lovely, lovely story you have *sniffles*

    ReplyDelete
  22. What I learnt from this piece is patience. After he proposed in , she still had to wait 5 more years before they got married. Uhmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  23. SO you ladies pray other ladies out ehn? hahaa.

    _ LDP

    ReplyDelete
  24. Haha at Le Dynamique Professeur.

    Sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Myne, thanks a lot for featuring my story :)
    @ HoneyDame, NuttyJ & H, I say a big amen to your prayers. Don't believe the hype, there are genuinely nice men out there who are proud to be husbands and fathers, yours will not pass you by IJN.
    @ Omotee!, H & LDP, hmm, what can I say except that prayer works? Lol.
    @ TheWordsmythe, amen, wishing you and Mo Cushla the same and more.
    @ Everyone who has 'liked' my story, thank you, may God meet you at the point of your needs IJN.

    ReplyDelete
  26. @LDP, HAHAHAHA!

    @Myne, I'm glad you give a platform for love stories on your blog. People need to be talking about the good parts of their marriages. Most of what we've heard for many years are negative parts.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks everyone, glad you liked.

    @JustJoxy, I should thank you for sharing. It's a beautiful story, and the best thing about it is that it has endured!

    @Nakedsha, that is true. No relationship is so easy, but a lot have the positive outweighing the negative.

    ReplyDelete
  28. aww....got goosebumps reading this! tew cute...love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Im with LDP on this. I hoe she wasnt friends with his ex girlfriend, cause that's not a good look, to want her man, while acting like her friend

    but im glad it worked out for them in the end, and wish them the best

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, i like. Did you say you agreed to marry him even though you guys never dated, or did i misunderstand that? Why didn't you guys date, not that it matters at this point, i'm just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  31. @ Bombchell, I wasn't friends with his ex, barely knew her, she broke up with him, her loss, my gain.
    @ Madame Sting, thanks for liking :). we hung out together just as friends, I guess his proposal merely confirmed what we'd both been feeling deep down.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ Nakedsha....you are right. Pls more of these healthy and positive marriage stories.

    This lady was bold sha o! God bless una boku boku amen

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.