Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Crying at Weddings - Jumping the Broom (Movie)

Posted in: ,

People, I don't know what's happening to me these days o. I've always been a romantic but I viewed weddings with a more practical eye. After all, they're just one day in a couple's life and is usually a fiesta to satisfy society and make their families proud. But recently, I've found my heart melting at pictures of weddings, and after I almost shed tears this weekend at the cinema for Jumping the broom, I had to write about it.


Of course I love and devour Mills&Boons, and oh and ah over those epilogues where they have a beautiful wedding, same as in the romantic comedies. But never to the extent of crying! It all started with the wedding websites, and then the Bellanaija wedding features, and then guess what? I saw a clip of Prince William and Kate exchanging their wedding vows and almost teared up. It reminded me so much of my own wedding, it was such a typical Anglican wedding (well, except that the Prince did not want a ring). Since then, I've been watching myself, and waiting to see if it was a one off. Turns out it wasn't.





So, we went to see Jumping the Broom at the cinema over the weekend, and it was such a lovely movie. It was produced by TD Jakes and tried to incorporate a bit of African-American history and culture and the background over the phrase "Jumping the Broom". I love how the movie started with pictures of real weddings from back in the days, reminding me that this love, this wedding we all make mouth about didn't start today. It also totally set the scene for the wedding weekend we were about the see in the movie.


Sabrina and Jason are getting married in her parent's Martha's Vineyard property (Classy Uptown) and his mother would be coming in from Brooklyn (Working-Class Downtown). The two families clash as neither is shy of making their reservations about the marriage known to the other. There was a hilarious scene where instead of saying grace over their engagement dinner, Jason's mom prays that God should forgive Sabrina's family for having so much money, LOL....

Some secrets did come out about both families, and both mothers had their lessons to learn in order for their characters to develop. More importantly, like I mentioned in Doll's Post - a conversation with her dad about her relationship - it is imperative for a couple to learn how to reconcile after quarrels. After a short courtship (6 months - with no sex by the way!) and in this their wedding weekend, Jason and Sabrina had to cram as much conflict resolution skills as possible.

In the end, the wedding was worth it, and my eyes were wet as I left the screen.

_______________

Pictures from http://www.reelmovienews.com



27 comments:

  1. Ok,i'm gonna try and see the movie,maybe i'd get to find out why you got teared up.In a way,i think this happens to lots of women (those that are romantic though).

    ReplyDelete
  2. i cry easily when it comes to movies...and weddings are so beautiful i'm always 'awwwing' throughout....alot of my friends are talking about this movie too...will def be watching it soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! Waz a really good movie. Grabbed & learnt few things about relationships but y did U tear Up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also cry when i watch romantic comedies and this is one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nikisho, you'll love it.

    @Jay, I guess it was the whole movie, lessons learned, etc. Still not sure...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a sucker for a wedding movie!! :) I used to be in the wedding biz, so I am always drawn to it all! :) Aside form some weddings that go completely crazy and overboard, there really is a feeling of promise, happiness, the start of someone's future. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen the movie trailer a million times, i really wanna watch it!!
    I also tear up at anything the least bit romantic. I used to hide in my room to read my mum's mills&boons novels when i was younger :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love weddings a lot! but not very emotional so no tears but i cant wait to get married i so believe in love.Mayne i love your blog although i have not seen any of your books.please can i get your email address? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Larae, you can email me myne @ mynewhitman.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tearing up? I'm definitely never seeing this movie then lol. I stay clear of dramas generally so thanks for the heads up lol

    Adiya
    http://thecornershopng.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must see this movie. I love romantic movies and sometimes they do make me cry. I remember crying so much after watching a movie, even i was shocked. I love wedding pics. The smiles, the look of love, the flowers, the colours.... so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol. myne, you are such a romantic. I'd love to see the movie too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think I've ever cried at a wedding... Thinking... Nope. Can't think of one.

    The movie sounds like a nice watch, though.

    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kai Myne you are so emotional, it takes a little effort to see your tears LOL.

    I should check out the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, i've never really been a fan of rom-coms, i will only watch one if i expect that it will be really funny.

    M & B novels make me gag, and i did'nt cry when Jack died in the Titanic. Lol, i'm weird like that.
    But i really want to see this movie. Especially because its a TD Jakes film and i just love and respect that man. Im sure it'll be deep and full of life lessons and i dig stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Misha, :) thanks.

    @Mimi B, TB Jakes put a great effort in it, he even had a role as a pastor, and he performed the wedding. It was really well made, and yeah, lots of moral lessons for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Adiya, I see, you don't want to spoil your makeup with tears, lol...

    @Lily, you're just like me then, you'll surely enjoy this one.

    @Doll and Shorty, yes o, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Im a romantic but the movie that made me cry was blood diamond... odd eh?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a sap for weddings. I never used to be, though! Not sure what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't think ive ever cried at a wedding or maybe ive forgotten...i have tons of 'awwwwwwwwww' moments tho'

    I should go see this movie at some point...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I probably should see the movie. I think I am "committment-phobic"

    ReplyDelete
  22. I sure left a comment here but I can't seem to find it. Wonder where it flew to lol.

    Myne I can see it takes a little effort to see your tears LOL. I would love to watch this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Shorty, I think blogger is having some problems. I haven't been able to do any blog rounds and 15 of my comments have disappeared!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing but Myne when is the movie portion for your latest book coming out?

    http://unveilinggold.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Unveiling Gold, Thanks dearie. Hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I cry at weddings too. No matter how same the words sound (i have attended enough weddings)the important fact is the people exchangin it are different with diff histories and all. too much m&b. sigh

    ReplyDelete
  27. Will and Kate had me tearing up too. I guess I'm just in love with love

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.