Saturday, June 25, 2011

Atala Writes - Notes from the Road Trip (2)

Posted in: , , ,
Happy weekend everyone, hope the work days went well? Thanks to everyone who contributed to the discussion on Immigration, I appreciated all the different viewpoints. And now Atala's notes continue, please read the first part HERE and leave comments o! LOL...


- One of the problems with long distance driving is that gas stations are spread far apart. And woe betide you if are miles from the nearest gas station and your fuel gauge's warning light is on, as happened to us between Boise and Salt Lake City. Thankfully, we were able to get gas in good time. (By Myne {at a cut-throat price - original 419 gas, even the price was $4.19)

- It's true - the Great Salt Lake is really salty! It's also a bit smelly as well (or maybe it's not the lake, but the plant/animal life in the lake itself).


- During a long drive, it's great to have radio to listen to. But it was frustrating doing this on the move. First, I'd tune, find a station I like, and all would be sweetness. Then little by little, static would begin to intrude into the broadcast until it was almost unlistenable. Then it was time to go nomadic on the radio dial again. Thankfully, I brought along a good selection of CDs (which thankfully don't fade out till they're done playing).



- One thing the trip reminded me of is my acrophobia. OK, no need to rush for the dictionary - that means 'fear of heights'. I was reminded of it on the drive to the Grand Canyon, as we drove down steep and twisty roads from which you could see views hundreds of feet below. I was reminded of it again as I saw Nkem balance precariously on the edge of the Grand Canyon without a care in the world.


- I have three words to describe Las Vegas. Tacky. Gaudy. And very, very brash. In fact, if Las Vegas was a country, its flag would have a great big dollar sign on it. A dollar sign embroidered in lights. Multicoloured lights would would change colour and flash repeatedly.


- In contrast, I found Sacramento to be much more chilled out and laid back. Maybe it's because I was glad to be back in cooler climes, away from the relentless heat of the south west.


- We didn't really get the chance to stop off at Portland, but from the highway, it did look very much like Seattle to me.

- And lastly, after a week on the road, driving on the familiar stretches of the I-5 and I-405 - usually an unremarkable experience - was a very welcome close to our trip!




20 comments:

  1. lol@the aptly named 419 fuel and the description of Las Vegas. So in your opinion, would you have ever been tempted to have Las Vegas wedding considering the tacky surroundings?

    Grinning@"I saw Nkem". Meanwhile I love that awesome backdrop of the canyon. Nkem, you try.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. $4.19 is awfully high. Makes me sick to the stomach. I'm enjoying your travels. Hope you put it all in one big book.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost got confused whether it's yhu or Atala doing the writting,ok,this isfor Atala-Ermm...yhu and yhur wifey are having a great time,I am hope next year,there'll be junior nkem or Atala to join the trip,no dulling shey.
    lol at the Las flag description,there would also be a pix of two to three clubs by the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That description of the Las Vegas flag was extremely funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol @ 419 gas,when it come to long distance driving you can`t escape the price hike coz they know urgently need what ever you are getting. I love the description u gave VEGAS..Enjoy the rest of the trip and please keep us posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. U dey enjoy oh...lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fuel prices in the UK will make you weep :))
    Love the description of Las Vegas...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back home. Looks like a fabulous trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was indeed a great trip, thanks for all the comments.

    @Tea, that's a great idea though it would take a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol @ 419 fuel and the Las Vegas 'flag'. Sounds like you both had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol @ 'original 419 gas, even the price was $4.19'.

    Thought it's only in Naija that we have such cut-throat pricing.

    I would have protested if the Great salt lake is not salty. lol

    Nice pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grand!!! Sounds like you and 'Nkem' had loads of fun. Shhh, don't tell her I called her that oh!

    ReplyDelete
  13. lol @ 419 gas &las vegas description .....am also scared of heights oo.. weldone sir.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how your version of the same event is distinctly different from your wife's. It's like getting a male and female perspective. Nice

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm, I must say that I'm not all that interested in Las Vegas, I'd love to go to the Grand Canyon though (even if I have acraphobia as well).

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. All,

    Thanks for the comments.


    Nope, Ginger - not a chance. We did see some people who were coming from a wedding though, and it looks like people do take the weddings there as seriously as they take weddings elsewhere (i.e. they dress up in bridal wear, there are guests, etc.)

    Tea, DIDI, I'd have liked to keep on driving, but what do you do when you're miles from elsewhere and your fuel is running dangerously low? Maybe if I have to do this again, we'll go by tandem so we don't worry about gas. :)

    Gretel, long time o. From my experience, long distance driving and small children do not mix well AT ALL. The only kind of road trip I'll be thinking of with Junior will be one to the local mall.

    NIL, yeah, fuel prices in the UK are eye-wateringly painful. But to be honest, in London, public transport is better integrated than in most American cities, so you don't NEED to get a car in the same way that you need to get one in America. Maybe if Myne lets me do so again, I will recount how I was a prisoner during my first few days in America because I was car-less...

    Surprise, to be clear, it wasn't so salty that it would have you rushing to gargle your mouth with fresh water, but it was definitely saltier than I would have expected a lake to be.

    Misha, for me, one trip to Vegas was enough. But I could happily return to the Grand Canyon again, inspite of my acrophobia. Some people were even adventurous enough to hike down all the way to the bottom of the Canyon (and presumably, they had to hike back up again). Just thinking about it gives me the shudders...

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow at all the stopovers..i believe that's what makes road trips fun. i'm already imagining myself going on one (hopefully) in the near future :)..nice one and i'm glad you guys had fun...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Stelzz, I hope you get your wish soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lol at Salt Lake city being smelly. Ditto the radio issue, I just always have my CDs to. That picture of the Grand Canyon needs to be framed. I love Vegas, lol at your comments on it. Is there going to be part 3?

    ReplyDelete
  20. wait waitwait,soooooo Ataa is Tola of NS and I've been flinging my ongu left and right,ain't I scared,yea Mr Tola tis been awhile and without being assertive ermmmm...I've missed yhu and NS too and I'll return only if I'll have a grand reception hoosshhhhh
    myne abeg ohhh :D

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.