Saturday, December 10, 2011

Six out of Ten women in Nigeria are Unfaithful?

Posted in: , , , , , ,
I don't know what to say to this news which has been floating around recently. The Durex Sexual Well-being Global Survey conducted by the condom manufacturer, interviewed 26,000 people in 26 countries and ranked Nigerian women as the most unfaithful in the world.

Daily Times reports  that "the top two countries with cheating women are Nigeria, with 62 percent, and Thailand, 59 percent. 39 percent of Malaysian women also confessed to having betrayed their partners. Russian women came fourth at 33 percent while Singaporeans are fifth at 19 percent." From a link I got in the comments, I went to the Durex survey methodology page where I found the following information.

- The survey was conducted during August and September 2006 by a research agency called Harris Interactive.
- Random samples of participants aged 16 + or 18+ were sent an email invitation to participate in the survey.
- The sample was primarily sourced from Harris Interactive’s internet panel.
- An online approach was adopted in 25 countries: Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, India, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands,New Zealand, Poland, Russia, Singapore, Spain, South Africa, Switzerland, Thailand, UK, USA.
- For Nigeria a face-to-face/self completion approach was adopted, due to the low use of internet and telephone.
- They used a sample size of 1,000 for the majority of countries surveyed.

Which brings me to my conclusion. A sample size of just one thousand is just too small to reference a population of at least 70million women in Nigeria. Also, a face to face interview method tells me that the sampling was not as random as the other countries. I think the location and manner this method leaves it open to more prejudice than an online sampling. For instance, it is very probable that only women in Lagos were sampled, or women found at sexual health clinics, or women who might not really understand the questionnaire. Vera Ezimora also thinks Durex left out the fine print.

With all that said, I'm not vouching women as saints. Women cheat, and where it is likely that men cheat a lot, it is also more likely that the numbers of unfaithful women will be high. Is this the case in Nigeria? You tell me.



20 comments:

  1. Hmm, 62% ? In parts of Nigeria there are serious penalties if a woman commits adultery (including stoning; one case made the international headlines). I've also had Test and Measurement courses. The samplings are out of whack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lool. hmmm
    You ar right the sample might not be accurate.
    and ignoring the fact that its Nigeria,
    women in general are getting more unfaithful by the minutes
    or perhaps have always been unfaithful but just too smart to get caught.
    I used to be the first to turn up my nose at cheaters. but i learnt lol
    missed reading your post xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kittie, exactly. I don't think with such rules that the numbers can be so high.

    @Msnana, I've missed your comments too. :) I definitely don't think all women don't cheat, we're all human after all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did they carry out their sampling? How can 620 people out of their 1000 administered questionnaires show a true picture? What is even the essence of this survey sef, durex should be happy that they have customers, they are complaining that women buy condoms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judging a nation of over 70million women on a result of 1thousand women is outrageous.

    Nigerian women might not be the world's most unfaithful nation but seriously Nigerian women sure are very smart and good at cheating.
    I am not even talking about girlfriend's here or fiancées. I have met quite a number of married women who are cheating on their men. I have heard the dumbest of excuses which have left my jaws wide open for a long time. How must of these women keep the act from their men is what baffles me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. their methodology sounds better than i expected but I'm sorry i dont believe their results for so many reasons, which leads me to believe that there's something fishy goin on with their study.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I AM PROUD TO SAY THAT I AM ONE OF THE FOUR!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. nawa for una oh, lol. Hi mynne, i reviewed you book. http://theseven-piecestone.blogspot.com/2011/12/love-rekindled-by-myne-whitman.html.. i was wondering if you'd like to be featured on my blog, maybe do a guest post, and then get interviewed

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the whole thing is rubbish. I don't believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, me I don't agree with this. I live in Lagos and as much as I agree on the high level of decadence, I don't think sampling 1000 women can show the REAL picture.

    I can't claim that we are all faithful Nigerian women just because my circle of friends and most of my aquintances are faithful....... Most of the time. lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. These people are just clueless. Say Nigerian women like money, or something else but unfaithful? That's very far away from the the fact.

    ReplyDelete
  12. & There is another proof to shoe that the dumbest race on the planet is our white bros & Sis. last time is was Big d**ks and now this..I hope no one pays attention coz they ain`t true..

    ReplyDelete
  13. lol... very interesting. I am sure if they survey the men, 99% of them will cheat. since men need women to cheat with, there goes the causation for the 60%. hahha... I kid I KID.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think they did an extensive research. I also know that yes there are a lot of women that cheat in nigeria, but I don't think that they are that many 60% haba.
    Then again my brother is a doctor and he says you will be amazed how many Nigerian women under 23 years have committed at least 1 or 2 abortions in the past.
    www.secretlilies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. The beauty about research is that anyone can conduct one. If you aren't satisfied with this result, carry out your own....and for the sample population, I'll admit is it small but that doesn't disclaim it as not being representative.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was disturbed after reading the article...
    As a scientist and fellow Nigerian I could argue both sides of the results..

    Team Nigeria:
    I would not be soo surprised of the results seeing as how nigerian men have been taught to woo a girl into bed and drop all forms of courtship and intimacy at the door of the matrimonial home, leaving the wife neglected and unloved while the husband is out chasing school girls..

    Team Science:
    Though the sample size was a large one ~1000.
    The demographic spread and randomization leaves a lot to be wanted. what were the age ranges of the interviewees? Where were they found i.e. Schools, neighborhoods,... what were the incentives for taking the survey...
    I would like a copy of the actually scientific article if there is one...with figures charts, materials and methods etc...

    Either way....
    Why is a company who specialize in Mens Contraceptives concerned with the fidelity of women...they should write about that!

    http://www.mikkisoxtra.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Regardless of how discredited the results of this survey may be viewed, I don't think we should just disregard it completely. Every scientific survey has its limitations and this one is not an exception. However, whilst the results cannot be used to make generalisations, it does open a small window of opportunity to make assumptions if conducted on a large scale.

    It's a shame as a country we're not good at record keeping and scientific research. Maybe this serves as a challenge for us to embrace research to understand more about our social issues, instead of making generalisations which we can be guilty of. I'm sure if we carried out the same survey for men it won't be any different if not worse.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is very sad.I really don't know how we got to this stage.The way you witness things these days i sadly alarming.I know what i see and hear about.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. lol
    Trust us to quickly deny the research. While the validity of the research is debatable i dont doubt that it is possible. In a patriarchal and third world environment like ours where women need men for survival, employment, status even spiritual support (fake prophets) wives/mothers/breadwinners do what they have to do to survive.

    Come to think of it...same can be said for the other Countries - Malaysia/Thailand.

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.