Tuesday, May 15, 2012

How I Take care of My Skin

Posted in: , ,

I'm talking about my skin today because I was reminded by the last meme I took part in - 11 Question Tag - where I answered questions about my beauty regime and my favorite beauty product. While I'm not a cosmetic junkie by any means, I try to use a small number of good quality skin care products to take care of my skin, especially my face. While it's not susceptible to acne, the sun is a different matter altogether and I have noticed that generally, my face tends to be darker than the rest of my body.

You see, when you do not use products with sun protection in a tropical country like Nigeria, the possibility of sun damage is very high. A few years ago, I began to notice the uneven skin tone down the sides of my face. Funnily enough, I never realized how susceptible I was to sunburn until I moved to the United States.

I had gone to the beach with Atala wearing a halter-neck bathing suit and without sunscreen. It was my first summer here after a very dreary spring and I was lapping up the sun like a dog starved of water. However, I had to beg for us to leave after some hours. My back was on fire. You guessed it, I had sunburn on my face and my back. It was so serious that I had to use medication for almost a week after that.

I have since learned my lesson, and since then all facial moisturizers and body lotions I use must have at least SPF-15. Thankfully, as I crossed the big 3-0 and continued to take care of my skin, I've been seeing some improvements. I'm still not the kind of woman who uses lots of products or tons of makeup. I find what I like and what works for me and I try stick to it as long as it remains available.

More than name brands, I think it is the function of the product itself that makes the most difference. For instance, I notice that for cleansing, facial wipes are nicer to my sensitive skin than say, cotton balls and toner or astringent. It is also good to know where your skin falls into in the ranges used by a particular skin care regimen. My skin is combination/oily and any time I use a product outside this range or one without this definition, I usually break out in small rashes or worse clogged pores.

These things don't bother me so much any more because with age, I now know that the conditions are usually not permanent and rarely life threatening. Another thing is that the older I get, the more comfortable I am in my skin, and I've found that I've moved beyond coveting the smooth skin on other people. I also worry less about what other people think of me and my skin issues because, at this point, I know I am more than my skin.

With that said, I don't want to look older than my age. I am enjoying my thirties and looking forward to all the rest it has to bring, as well as beyond. My mum is a beautiful woman and in her 60s now. She still takes great care of herself. Same with my sisters, one of whom just finished her NYSC. Why am I saying this? Because I want to look great right next to all of them.

So I'll ask you the same questions I did in the tag, what is your beauty regime and your favorite beauty product?


PS - Let me use this opportunity to say thanks for bearing with the ads on my blog and supporting the sponsors. I really appreciate it, and hope to continue bringing value to my readers both through my content, reviews, giveaways and more.




10 comments:

  1. Okay, I know you're talking about skin here but what I noticed is your hair. Is it your hair or a weave? Looks so healthy. A post on your hair regime pls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good
    Like you, I only realised I burn easily after I moved here
    I got burnt when I went to Florida on holiday.
    It must be the lack of sunshine in UK that has made my skin become such a 'wimp'
    My beauty regime....Lots of moisture, little perfume and lots of sleep
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your skin looks good. You seem to adopt the less is more method. I have oily skin as well, but also prone to acne, even at the age of 30! At night I use Vitamin E oil mixed with a few drops of grapeseed oil. My skin is surely thanking me. I agree with the commenter above, your hair looks good and healthy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have beautiful skin -- and I also agree with the commenter about your hair. You look healthy and poised, a confident gal who's not afraid of the world. My regime -- lots of sunscreen, sunhat, and moisturizing lotions. And decent sleep, a gal's gotta pamper the skin with rest. Thanks for stopping by. Yep, there's definitely food for thought out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post!!
    My beauty regime is really simple. I've been going to a dermatologist for the past 3 years and the creams my doctor gives me works wonders and aren't nearly as expensive as some of the stuff sold in stores! It's a common misconception that all dermatologists are expensive and I would recommend one to anyone battling any type of skin issue! Other than that, I just wash my face and body with goat milk & chai soap and use aveeno for lotion!

    That GOOD GOOD Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good thing Myne, knowing that you don't go out of your way all in the name of skin care. Little is much most times.

    As for the ads, well we'll try to cope. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmm i havent noticed any sun burn, but i still am very cautious, when it comes to my skin. careful what i use.
    www.secretlilies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only learned very recently that black people have these issues compliments of extreme blotchiness in my skin. I was shocked after using that analysis machine thingie and being told that the sun was causing it. I have to admit I'm not very good at using the sunscreen that was prescribed (an Aveeno product) but I do stay out of the sun for much of the day. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I live in Nigeria, and when I mention sunscreen a few people are like "what"? Thanks for mentioning it :) I also have the less-is-more approach to skin products, thought I'm yet to find a lotion I'm very comfortable with. I try to steer clear from shea and cocoa butter, they make me darker. It's more of moisture, rest and cleansing for me. And Myne, yeah, I love the way your hair looks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's an amazing article in favor of all the internet users; they will get advantage from it I am sure.

    Here is my website; Dermal Meds Advanced Formula

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.