Thursday, November 15, 2012

My Review of the Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted in: , ,

Who remembers this post asking about the Galaxy SIII or the Galaxy Note? So I got to the AT&T store and the rep and I hashed it all out about what I liked about each of the phones and what he didn't like about each of them. I've now had my Galaxy SIII for about two months and I want to share my experience of the phone with others who may be thinking of getting it. My first smartphone was a BlackBerry which I used for over 2 years so my review will be based off of that.

The main thing I like about my SIII is that it is so slim and very light compared to my BB Torch which was quite bulky and heavy. The next up is the screen size, which is amazing. I thought the Torch was big, this is an eye-opener, I browse on it so comfortably and can do almost everything including blogging and the accompanying rounds and comments. My laptop has definitely been getting more rest than it's ever had.

Also, the video playback quality are excellent. The first time I watched a Youtube video, I was like, wow! The crisp sound and image quality blew me away. I never thought phones could play video, and I couldn't understand when people talked about watching TV or movies on their phone. I never tried it on the BB. I was also surprised that video didn't gulp as much data as I feared.

This next advantage may be a function of the android rather than of the Samsung SIII but since this is my first taste of the OS, I am so sold. It is much easier to download apps from the Google Play Store and the apps themselves, where do I start? There's a lot more of them, more variety and they are much better. From about 30, I now have almost 100 and I'm loving them. So far, the CNN app is the coolest. Instagram is not half bad either. The swipe ability of the phone just makes navigation a breeze.

I also like that when I connect the SIII to my laptop, it is recognized as a USB and I can easily move content from the phone and back. There are more complicated apps and even a wireless option of doing this but I'm a simple girl, I'll get to those one day, if at all.

Finally, typing on the phone. I used to hate sending text messages, doing blog rounds, or updating social media on my phone, now I hardly think about it than I'm doing it. There are several options of inputting text, including voice, writing and the usual typing. This typing though is more intuitive than the one on my BB and maybe the larger screen also helps. I'm almost a pro now.

Now to the things I'm not so hot on. The camera. I may the one who's wrong or clueless, but I don't fully like the quality of the pictures that my phone takes. The size is OK but the pictures appear kinda blurry and dull. One of my initial doubts still remain, the fact that the screen doesn't freeze when one takes a picture. I have to call up the picture to be sure of how it looks. One function that helps a bit is the burst shot option where I can take several pictures at a time and later collate. I'm managing this.

The battery could also be better. I usually have to charge my phone mostly twice a day, and only once on a few days. I wish it could last for longer, especially on days I spend a lot of time outside the house. But hey, we can't have it all, I guess.

So who else has the SIII, what have you liked or not liked about the experience of using it?







21 comments:

  1. I have the same phone. Mine's white. I out of town just to get a different color. Also, I wish the camera was a lot more better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, it's not just me about the camera :(

      Delete
  2. Don't have it!I will just relax with my popcorn and learn from those who gorrit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...hi dear. Thanks for visiting, how the popcorn is good?

      Delete
  3. Is this the one that's waterproof Myne. I need that one as my iPhone is getting a lot of flack from slurpy saliva juice at the moment. I also saw a review of that waterproof one by a local celeb this week and they couldn't get over the camera quality and the sound. And they dunked it into a glass of water. the thing was working in the water!!!! A call in the shower?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the cute picture :) I don't know if this is waterproof though

      Delete
  4. Like Eya, I do not haf it, but am a willing and happy learner! Just that i dont eat popcorn as she's doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. like you i just recently upgraded my contract from a bb tourch to the galaxy S3. I love the phone and all but their are one or two things that annoy me on it.
    1)Viewing my emails is not as sweet as it was on my blackberry. its got a black background and i would love a white one with black letters as my eyes arent that good.
    2) The email synchronization is slow. I dont get mails on my phone a good 5 mins after i have viewed it on my laptop. very weird.
    3) The copy and paste function which i do a lot is proving very difficult for me to get a grip on.
    4)Like you said i dont understand why the picture quality is not top notch , maybe i have top set it somehow
    5) The google function of the phone is quite *over sabi sabi* That thing willk track your movement. for people who have something to hide they will hate it. lol
    6) Contact synchronization is not as seamless i as expected.
    7) This one is just me am still trying to get a grip on the touch screen typing. As i now make a lot of typo errors . But if i dont get a hang of it, this will most def be my last full touch screen phone.

    Apart from these i love the phone especially the kindle app.





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The apps are really nice, and after downloading the Kindle app, I cancelled plans to buy the paperwhite. The google function right? I had to limit the GPS and voice sometimes to reduce the spying :) I've not used the copy/paste, should try that.

      My contact sync was very seamless, infact too much so. It downloaded all my Google contacts and cost me my entire data for the month!

      Delete
    2. Kiky, your background doesn't have to be black. You can change it. It comes with black as default, but you can make it white. I made mine white. Black backgrounds aren't easy on the eye.

      Delete
    3. Oh I forgot to mention the email, my background is white and must have come with that as default.

      Delete
  6. When it comes to smart technology,iphone still remains the leader.Thus,i won't even consider any other product aside Apple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're biased. I think apple is a clique or a scam and I'm not touching their products with a ten-feet pole :)

      Delete
  7. I have an S3 and you pretty much nailed it. Although regarding picture quality, if when you're about to snap a picture the picture looks blurry, gently touch the screen. That clears up the blur.

    I'm still in love with my phone. I too moved from a blackberry (bold) to this phone and I don't regret it one bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will def try that, thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  8. I made the switch to Samsung from BB in August and I love love love it.
    To extend battery life, you can try keeping it on Power Saving mode and disabling automatic updates. The only thing I don't like about the S3 is that you can't retrieve deleted files from the internal memory, but having a SD card fixes that problem.
    Great phone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an SD card but haven't had to use it. I'll surely be putting some of your tips on power saving to use. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. I do not have any problem - at all - with my Samsung camera oh. In fact, my iPhone friends always take pictures with my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved the pics your camera took, I really have to get better with working with mine :(

      Delete
  10. LOOOVE it! Yeah battery goes down quickly but thats cos I am ALWAYS on it.

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.