Friday, November 16, 2012

What Does Infatuation Mean To You?

Posted in: , ,

Some artistes were asked their definition of infatuation and many of them came up with various meanings, from the good, to the bad to the outright funny. I think some of them, like the comedians were trying to joke around, maybe some didn't know the meaning, the presenter herself doesn't help matters, she seems to be a stand-up comic too :)

Anyway, the video got me thinking. What does infatuation really mean? Is it the same as love? When does it transition if we think love is the more mature feeling? Is infatuation equivalent to obsession? Sometimes, crushing on someone is said to be synonymous to being infatuated with them, is this so? What if you're crushing on someone you love and are in a relationship with, is it still infatuation?

In my opinion, infatuation is when you have all the feelings of romantic love and desire for someone without really knowing them. Mostly, it is younger people who become infatuated because they've not really experienced life and still see through rose colored lenses. I can still remember some of my teenage crushes on Hollywood and music celebrities, some fine older guys in the peripheries of my social circle, and even on clothes and stories.

Infatuation is said to be unhealthy in the sense that it puts human beings on pedestals when we know how flawed we can all be. It is very blinding because of the high emotions that come with the feelings which do not allow the infatuated person to see their object of infatuation as a real, fallible person. What happens is that when that veil is torn away, infatuation can go in hateful ways.

That said, I also find infatuation sweet. There are days I just stare at Atala and I'm so infatuated. I still remember my days of endless infatuations with nostalgia, those feelings just make you feel alive! Imagine a guy crush comes across you while out, or more, walks over and talks to you! Reminds me of those early days on the forum where I met Atala. Be still, my heart! LOL...

So what do you think? What does infatuation mean to you? Have you ever been infatuated with someone or something? If you still are, what are your current crushes?







12 comments:

  1. Whatever it is called, seeing someone for the first time and having romatic feelings can be very dangerous. They may not be what you see until you know them well. I'd felt so as a young person but got to know that things that had value were not found on the surface.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, grown-up hindsight is a wonderful thing :)

      Delete
  2. What does infatuation mean to me? Hmm... Infatuation for me means Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, means Dilwale Dilhunia le Jayenge, means Vivah, means Veer-Zaara means Raj sorry ... means Shah Rukh Khan lol

    I don't get infatuated with humans much but definitely with alternate realities (i.e film). And I don't know if I should even call 'em infatuation because I know deep down that it isn't real (and I know all the people in those Indian movies don't just break into dance every 5 minutes) but still... I love 'the idea', blindly. In fact, till date a part of me still believes that if I ever go to India all the houses will look just like it does in K3G and all the men will be as loving/romantic as SRK and so on and so forth... that's why I will never go to India, lol. I refuse to be disillusioned

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOLed as I read your comment. I also grew up on Bollywood love stories and it was interesting to me when I went to the UK and made some Indian friends in school. They are all as great as in the movies, believe me, LOL...

      Delete
  3. I'm one of those that get infatuated with something that motivate,inspire and boost get me cracking my ribs like comedy films,thounsand laugh, Happily ever after love story,fairly and tales Though I know lif/relationship is full of bumby roads along the way. Yes I'm also Indian films fan,Someday I might make a trip to indian, they have really blown my heart away with their zeetv indian novellas. Hope I will see what I wanted during my visit and not be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohh as a teenager i was plagued by infatuations. i was always secretly "in love with someone". but it never lasted. i'd move on once i saw another person. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Infatuation is me liking someone soo much and day dreaming about them but once they annoy me or I find out something not cool about them, that likeness dies never to resurrect again..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think infatuation is one notch above obsession, it comes with a fluidity that makes obsession look barbaric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Data analyst babyNovember 19, 2012 2:37 AM

    Infatuation: according "towordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn" a foolish and usually extravagant passion or love or admiration.
    This thing called infatuation is very very dangerous,its very crazy ohh, its like an obsession, addiction. Im ifatuated with smobody..and it has gotten to me into some trouble tho. God helped me out of it.
    Guard your heart diligently bikoo...my 2cents

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm n luv with sum1 from yrs ago

    ReplyDelete
  9. Infatuation is bliss,it's innocent and almost pure.what's more,it makes for the sweetest nostalgic memories for future yrs. However, it is surreal and knowing this helped keep me in line growing up,I think. I use to 'suffer' deep bouts of infatuation back then, I would take wateva subject(mostly guys, celebs...lol) I was interested in at that point, fantasize and build great happily ever stories about us in my small head,lol. I made heroes out of many in my brain.But that's where it all ended,in my head. Cos luckily my lenses were not too rose colored,so it was more like an escape activity 4 me. These days,omo I don hard ☺,I don't even let myself start, life is too real...the nuances of growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yea 99% of us experienced the word INFATUATION,'mine was when i was in Junior Secondary School (JSS 2) till my Senior Secondary School (SS 3) i never thought its was INFATUATION,even when we end the relationship i nearly fall SICK,but thank God for the radio program then like Rhythm of the Night,all sort of Radio program that talks about relationship then....now i listen to Heart to Heart on Eko 89.75Fm every Monday 11pm to 1am ,Youth & Life Coaching, Relationship/Marriage Counselor......

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.