Thursday, January 31, 2013

Genevieve Nnaji Cut From Half of a Yellow Sun Movie?

Posted in: , ,

Reports coming out of Nollywood indicate that the adaptation of Chimamanda Adichie's award winning book, Half of a Yellow Sun, will be screened at the 2013 FESPACO film festival, opening in Ouagadougou, February 23. That means it may be reaching the cinemas as soon as summer, if not before.

The feature film has a cast that includes Thandie Newton [who remembers the furor?], John Boyega, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Dominic Cooper, Anika Noni Rose, and Joseph Mawle. Nigerians involved in the project are Biyi Bandele, directing, Cobhams Asuquo and Keziah Jones, both composing original music for the film, and Genevieve Nnaji with small acting part. Most of that small role may have ended on the editing/cutting room floor.

Like I've learned since I started doing movie reviews, all adapted films have three stages - there's the book, then the script, and finally the director's vision. So anything can happen to change around a story during those stages. If you've read the book, you'll know there's a heartbreaking love story involved, but I'm not sure which part Genevieve is playing.


E247Mag writes that we'll still see Genevieve in a scene or two, I hope it is more than that.

But whatever happens, I'm sure she, as well as the other Nigerian crew that took part in the Calabar production must have learnt a lot by being part of the making of the Half of a Yellow Sun movie. Some scenes from the shooting in Nigeria - of Olanna and Odenigbo's wedding - are below.

Thandie Newton just looks like a Nigerian here :)

Thandie Newton and Chiwetel Ejiofor as Olanna and Odenigbo (Half of a Yellow Sun)

This is the official synopsis released by the film's producers:

... weaving together the lives of four people swept up in the turbulence of war. Olanna (Newton) and Kainene (Rose) are glamorous twins from a wealthy Nigerian family. Returning to a privileged city life in newly independent 1960s Nigeria after their expensive English education, the two women make very different choices. Olanna shocks her family by going to live with her lover, the “revolutionary professor” Odenigbo (Ejiofor) and his devoted houseboy Ugwu (Boyega) in the dusty university town of Nsukka; Kainene turns out to be a fiercely successful businesswoman when she takes over the family interests, and surprises herself when she falls in love with Richard (Mawle) an English writer. Preoccupied by their romantic entanglements, and a betrayal between the sisters, the events of their life loom larger than politics. However, they become caught up in the events of the Nigerian civil war, in which the lgbo people fought an impassioned struggle to establish Biafra an independent republic, ending in chilling violence which shocked the entire country and the world.

I can't wait!



14 comments:

  1. Me too Myne! I'd like to see Genevieve in more than two scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny I still have not read the book...not sure how far the removal of Genevieve would go but 1 or 2 scenes is so "waka pass" role.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Lara, I've also not gotten round to reading the book, hope I get to do that before the movie hits the cinema.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can already imagine Ejiofor taking Odenigbo, looking foward to seeing the movie, hope it hits like the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Onyeka Onwenu, Zac Orji, Gloria young and Oc Ukeje were all part of the production. These are not moi moi actors. They delivered. Genevieve needs to take acting seriously again and I don't mean Weekend get away and the likes. She needs to deliver a role

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haaa! this is not glamour girls o! shape in or shape out! lol! I'd rather Genny is not there at all than the one or two roles I'm hearing here

      Delete
    2. I don't understand the roles she is taking these days. Watched Doctor Bello and I was just wondering what is going on with this woman. If you sneeze you would have missed her.

      Delete
    3. Maybe she hopes working with Hollywood even for waka pass roles will help her improve and get even bigger jobs. Hope it works.

      Delete
  6. Ohk* all these are great actors @ Onyeka, ukeje and Zack.
    But Chiwetel as odenigbo? Haha* I can't wait.
    Av maintained dt I don't think I like the choice of Ola and her twin. They will never be Nigerian enough talk more of Igbo.
    Let's watch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Small role in this kind of movie is better than most of our Nollywood movies. And she will get exposure. I watched her in Ije and she pulled her weight very well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen Chiwetel deliver a very convincing Nigerian role before. He even got the accent very right. I'm not sure about Newton. I never dug the idea of her playing that role. But who knows? She might surprise us.
    As for Genevieve, her waka pass-like roles nowadays is making one wonder if her glory is fast fading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chinwetel just deliveres all the time!!did anyone see him in 'SALT' alongside angelina jolie? Just finished watching his Bbc Series'Dancing on the edge' any British/nija here? I read Half of a yellow sun while in Uni...its so tragic and made me have prejudices about yoruba's/hausa tribe.... Igbo kwezuenuuuu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw o! I confirm the guy die! LOL. He's goooood!.. @Myne, I'm looking to this movie. I can't wait to see the characters I read about on the big screen. Go Chimamanda! Even though I no like the "waka pass" role given to our dearest Genny.

      Delete
  10. About time to produce a movie that documented the genocide against the Ibo's.

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.