Friday, February 15, 2013

Goldie's Tribute Video and Official Statement on her Death

Posted in: ,

I went offline yesterday still somehow hoping this was a hoax. I woke up to Atala telling me it was on BBC News, and the day got duller than just from the weather outside my window. The Vanguard reports that Goldie died of pulmonary embolism, but the speculations are unconfirmed. This is the statement from the CEO of Kennis Music, Kenny Ogungbe;

“With a deep sense of loss, we announce the shocking death of our darling music star, Goldie Harvey. Goldie, 31, died on Thursday after she complained of a severe headache shortly after her arrival from the United States where she went to witness the Grammy Award. She was rushed from her Park View, Ikoyi, Lagos residence to her official hospital, Reddington, Victoria Island, Lagos, where doctors pronounced her dead on arrival at exactly 7:30pm in the evening.

“We consider this period a gloomy moment for us and the entire Nigerian music industry in view of the circumstance in which she passed away; the abundance of talent she exhibited in her short but eventful music career and the various opportunities her trip to the United States of America would have availed her. She is survived by her father, step- mother, brothers and sisters. We deeply sympathise with her family and fans all over the world and very grateful to all and sundry, especially, the vibrant Nigerian media for their concern and prompt reportage. We shall keep everybody informed as events unfold as we are devastated by the sudden loss.”



When I think of her, I still see the lovely lady in Afronut's picturs or this video made by Afronuts when Goldie Harvey, real names Susan Olawabimpe Harvey, visited their office in view of a working relationship.



She was so different from her persona, quiet and self-effacing. Can't help crying for her. May her soul rest in peace.



8 comments:

  1. Well done Myne! Thoughtful of you to include a video. May her soul rest in peace. Amen. It is really sad...Still hard for me to digest...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I screamed in shock when I saw the headline in the papers and was so hoping it was not true. But then I met someone in that business who basically confirmed it to my mgm and I and we were just in shock. It's funny cos all we know of her is what we saw on telly and in the papers but somehow we just felt so sad about it. Such a young life full of potential by all indications. My heart goes out to her family and friends and of course all her fans. Life is short oh and we really need to be numbering our days. I mwan she was still tweeting I understand 6 hours before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. im confused at all this talk of "yellow"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That tells you how fixated Nigerians are by lightskinned people. Nobody asked her about her Harvey name o!

      Delete
  4. My first thought when i heard she just came back from LA was Pulmonary embolism. That's why they advice you not to sit still without getting up on long flights, or they don't allow pregnant women fly after a certain point. Quite sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don’t even know who she is… Off to google. Either way RIP!

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.