Saturday, March 16, 2013

Google Reader is Closing Down - What Does That Mean?

Posted in: ,

I don't often have to use Google Reader for the blogs I follow, I check out the summaries on the Blogger dashboard, and go on over to the ones that catch my attention. But I do use it to organize my subscriptions, to remove those I'm no more following, or those who aren't blogging anymore. Also, if I'm only with my phone, I default to GR than doing blog rounds. So imagine my surprise when Google said they were shutting it down because not enough people were using it and it didn't make financial sense to keep it. The announcement from Google read;

We launched Google Reader in 2005 in an effort to make it easy for people to discover and keep tabs on their favorite websites. While the product has a loyal following, over the years usage has declined. So, on July 1, 2013, we will retire Google Reader. Users and developers interested in RSS alternatives can export their data, including their subscriptions, with Google Takeout over the course of the next four months.

I'm not happy about this development because I know a lot of us here in blogsville use Google reader to follow blogs we love. I still follow about 600 blogs, and have more than 2000 followers on the Google Friend Connect, many of whom I'm sure read my posts on their GR. BTW, the Google Friend Connect has also been rested and I guess it may be time to take it down, no matter how much I like those numbers. Feedburner too may be on the way out.


This is one fear people have about Blogger and Google and their "free" products. Nigerians will say "Awoof dey run belle". While free stuff is nice, most times, he who pays the piper will really dictate the tune. And while you may hate the tune, you still have to dance. Some people have moved to wordpress.com or self-hosted sites because of this, they don't want to wake up one day and realize blogger has been shut down and all their content gone.

So what does this mean for me? I'm not going anywhere for now, but it may be on the cards. I'm being quite careful, though from what we have seen with Google in the past is they'll give at least three months notice, and make a way for you to take you stuff like in the PR above. I have over 1000 posts on this blog and over 25000 comments, I keep backing up any chance I get.

So what does it mean for you? Maybe nothing if you do not follow and read my posts via GR. If you do, you may have to come to the blog or find another way. I will list several options.

1. For those who want to get the full post without visiting the blog, the best option is to follow by email. {For those who already do it this way, I would love you guys to visit, of course, and join the discussion in the comments, but I understand not everyone can do that, and I appreciate the return emails you send to me.}

If you always visit the blog but just want to know when new posts are published, any of the following will work for you. My posts are automatically pushed to these social media so you'll always be among the first to know.
  • Follow Myne on Google+ Google+
  • Follow Myne on Facebook Facebook
  • Follow Myne on Twitter Twitter

Please, let's keep in touch. What Blogger, GFC, Feedburner and GR has put together, no evil internet behemoth Google shall put asunder.

PS - If you know the Hitler meme, you'll find the video below hilarious. I was snorting water through my nose when I watched it. Somebody is sure not happy.




11 comments:

  1. thats their problem

    http://ajetun.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we should all go back to the old email newsletter-style.
    I use Google Reader everyday and I have no idea why they'd do a damn-fool thing like closing it down, but three are alternative feed aggregators and I've already exported my subscriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is rather disturbing, but I guess they have some challenges managing it. Whatever it is, people will still carry on in some way to do the same work. I use Google reader often and would just have to adjust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Myne
    This is sad for all, especially for Newbies such as myself just 1 year young doing all that I can to build my platform. I do follow a lot of Blogs in GR, and so even without email subscription, I get all of their latest posts that way. For your Blog I also have it as a quick link on my site, so I am constantly updated. As for the options available, it was recommended to me even before Google broke that news that I should move my Blog to Wordpress or Self Hosting..giving consideration yea. Nonetheless, appreciate you sharing new ideas/strategies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This shocked me when I saw this... have already started searching for an alternative. First out of feedburner, then out of google reader.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scared! hope one day we won't hear that blogger is retiring.If that happens, what do I say about my yummy recipes??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Myne does this mean that those blog we follow on our dashboard would also disappear? Am kinda confused?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's possible because it's being pulled from GR and GFC, but I'm not sure.

      Delete
  8. I use GR only occasionally, although I know subscribers who use it regularly. Like you, all my posts are shared via Facebook, twitter and Google+ as well as via feedburner email.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So does that mean all our 'followers' will disappear? That would be a shame - so many people work so hard to build up those numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know or understand how it all works,though I use google reader occasionally.
    I'll just wait and see what the changes would look like.

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.