Saturday, April 20, 2013

What is Difference Between Relaxed and Texlaxed Hair?

Posted in: , ,
Texlaxed Hair
 In the comments to my last hair post, some asked what the difference was between relaxed and texlaxed hair. I had read about texlaxing on a few blogs, and seen some videos of people who had texlaxed their hair, but I still had to ask my stylist exactly what she meant when she brought it up as an option.

Basically, she said, it was the same as relaxing, you use the same chemicals to straighten the texture of the hair. However, in texlaxing,

1. the relaxer is diluted with natural oils and conditioners,
2. it is applied strand by strand like usual, but kind of combed into the hair
3. it is not allowed to stay on long enough to completely stretch out the hair.

The result is that some of your hair is texturized, some of it is relaxed, some may even remain completely unstraightened depending on the texture of your natural hair. Below is what my hair looks like after I shampooed off the flat-ironing. I'll be sharing more posts of how I try to keep my hair healthy as time goes on.



Shed strands after combing

Where the parting used to be

Side view

Another look in




8 comments:

  1. Myne you can do Black Tea rinses and follow up with a conditioner to help with the shedding it's not bad that looks like regular everyday shed hair but if you ever have a problem with shedding then you can do black tea rinses or garlic mixes. I am texlaxed too and love the texture I do two things dilute the relaxer with oil and then leave it on for less time then recommended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *than* recommended

      Delete
    2. Thanks Pendo, I'll look for the rinse, I already have some good conditioners. The shedding has definitely reduced after the texlaxing.

      Delete
    3. You are most welcome! RE: looking for it; its not a store product per say just boil two non flavored tea bags black or green tea is the best in about 3 cups water let it steep while cooling and then your pour that on your hair after shampooing and deep condition on top of that. The same goes for garlic you can use the powder or whole crushed cloves if you can stand the smell otherwise I would say just include it in your diet a lot and see it work from inside out.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for answering our questions. Meanwhile, have you heard any updates about the Amaka Munonye case? I keep searching google and nada...and God forgive me but a part of me always wondered if her story was true or fabricated. maybe you can use your journalistic connections to let us know if she got closer or further to getting her kids back. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MPB, I'll give her a call and write a post soon about that.

      Delete
  3. Your hair looks different after shampooing. I like textlaxing then,cos it doesn't over stretch the hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eya. No it really doesn't if done well.

      Delete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.