Thursday, September 19, 2013

She Will Not Take Husband's Name - What's Worst Surname You Can Imagine?

Posted in: , ,

Kate Winslet married her longtime boyfriend Ned back in December last year and the couple are happily expecting their first child together. Guess his surname, Rocknroll! Since their marriage, there has been a lot of jokes about her husband's surname, and speculations on whether she would change her surname to Rocknroll.

When the Telegraph asked her about a name change, the actress, who has been married twice before and not changed her name both times, replied;

“I was never going to change my name to Rocknroll. I’ve never changed my name to anything so I didn’t see a reason to start now…I quite like Kate Winslet; in fact I think it’s very flashy. I’m proud of my name because I’m one of three girls and we have one boy in our family so essentially the only person who is going to carry the name along is my brother and he doesn’t have any children at the moment.”

BTW, her husband Ned was not born with that surname, he just thinks "people take themselves too seriously" so he legally changed his last name to "Rocknroll" in 2008.

What do you think of the name Rocknroll? Do you love your surname or are you among those who breathed a sigh of relief when you got married and could change your name, or you can't wait to get married to do so? What's the worst surname you can't imagine changing your surname to? Will you reject a potential suitor because of his surname?




9 comments:

  1. Mrs Hamburger, Mrs Coffin hell to the no! Yes these names exist

    ReplyDelete
  2. She doesn't have to take his name. Her name is her brand. There's no point diluting it when they'll probably get divorced in a few years. Can you tell Hollywood marriages don't impress me? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still waiting for her and Leo to get married so yes Kate, please keep the Winslet! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had one of those Ogun or is it Fa as en ex-boyfriend and always said I'd go with his first name if we got married. We didn't. Saved!

    Will anyone say they dislike their surname?

    The ones I know who were so happy to change their names are those whose parents divorced and those who their Mums had as single women and gave them their own surnames and not their Dads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my single mom friends gave their kids their own surnames. It's a pity Anglo-Africans inherited all this take his name wahala from their British colonialist. Do some research on Spanish, Islamic naming systems and the likes you will be surprised at what you find. The Spanish one even ensures any children from the marriage bear both mama and papa's surnames. All my married muslim friends bear their fathers surnames no name change wahala for them.

      Delete
  5. I love my surname & i dont wana change it but i have no choice because when i tell my hubby to be i dont want to change my name he says to me that then you are not ready to get married *sigh* i told him il just attached his name at the end of my last name because i love my daddy's name!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't really like my surname and I think my man has a much better one. Some will say, what's in a name, but it means a lot to me and for the future of my kids too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The name doesn't mean so much to me. Hubby's name has "So" in it which means witch or wizard in Yoruba land but I am not bothered by it so I took his name.
    I am more interested in the personality.

    So I don't think its an issue

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.