Thursday, October 17, 2013

Movie Review - Gravity With Sandra Bullock and George Clooney

Posted in: , , ,

I’m one of those who wonders what I’m doing 33,000 feet up in the air when I’m flying. But I love travelling, and I keep flying to get around. I’ve also always wanted to go to space. Since the space tourist program started, I’ve added it to my bucket list. But while watching Gravity with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, I had a rethink.


One of the opening lines in the film says that life is impossible in space. And seeing some incidents in the movie, it was scary to know how true that can be. But at the end of Gravity, I knew that if I was presented with the opportunity to go to space, I would take it. That was at the core of the theme of the movie.

Gravity was less about the space surrounding earth and the physical gravity pulling humans to the ground, than it is about the spaces within us and the psychological gravity to pulls us together in the face of fear and uncertainty.

Gravity is a suspense thriller set in space, but it is also about loss, about pain, about courage, and about overcoming adversity and being reborn.  There is actually a cinematic moment when Sandra Bullock is curled in a fetal position floating in the airlock of a space station that encapsulates this notion.

At another point, she lies back in gloomy darkness, ready to give it all up, but manages to shake off her apathy with the help of George Clooney’s character. From that moment on, it was full steam ahead, both for the suspense in the movie and for the action.

At one point, Sandra Bullock says, "I'm either going to come back with one hell of a story, or die in an explosion in the next 10 minutes. It doesn't really matter. Either way it's going to be one hell of a ride."
The message from Gravity is this - give it your all, or nothing at all. It makes me think if there’s anything I'm currently holding myself back from doing in my life. And I loved that the main character was a woman, double to goodness :)

I give this a 3.5 stars out of 5. I would have given it a 4 but the plot is very spare and it’s not the type of movie to make you want to watch again and again. But the emotional depth more than makes up for that, as well as the acting and cinematography. Highly recommended and try to see it in 3D and IMAX if you can.




4 comments:

  1. For some reason I though the 3D was just a ply to make more money because the tickets cost more. It did not add anything to my viewing experience. I think the biggest strength of gravity was the story - survival against all odds. I was exasperate at the end, wondering if she was going to make it. I absolutely loved this movie but some of my friends absolutely hated it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's that kind of movie, you either like it or you hate it, lol. The suspense towards the end was tight, but naija babe like me, I know actor no de die :)

      Delete
  2. I can't get into space movies like this kind. I think I will wait for it on DVD.

    Myne, tell Atala it's time for him to post something.

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.