Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Giuliana Rancic Apologizes For Weed Comment About Zendaya's Locs At The Oscars

Posted in: , , ,

E! host Giuliana Rancic has apologized to Disney actress Zendaya Coleman after comments the presenter made about the teenage star's hairstyle at the Oscars backfired. The E! presenter said Zendaya looked like she smelled like weed while critiquing Zendaya's Oscar red carpet look and faux dread locks during Fashion Police Oscar episode.

Guiliana told the panel "Zendaya looks like she “smells like patchouli oil… or maybe weed.” Since the comments aired yesterday, many on social media called out the previously beloved host. On twitter, many posited that the comment was racially insensitive. Giuliana apologized after Zendaya took to instagram to explain why she wore her hair in locks, and saying she felt racially stereotyped by the comments. See the apology and Zendaya's note below...



Guiliana added on the E! News online site;

“I want to apologize for a comment that I made on last night’s ‘Fashion Police’ about Zendaya’s hair,I want to say to Zendaya.This really has been a learning experience for me; I’ve learned a lot today, and this incident has taught me to be a lot more aware of cliches and stereotypes how much damage they can do, and that I am responsible, as we all are, to not perpetuate them further.”

This was Zendaya's post on Instagram.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.