Saturday, March 14, 2015

'World's Ugliest Woman' Premieres Inspirational Anti-Bullying Documentary

Posted in: , ,

Last year, RML posted about Lizzie Velasquez and the Kickstarter fundraiser for her documentary, 'The Lizzie Velasquez Story', and now, we're happy to update that the film is ready and premiers today at the South by Southwest Film Festival in Austin, Texas.

Branded the World's ugliest woman by online trolls, Lizzie Velasquez is pushing back with the anti-bullying  documentary which describes her battle with Marfan syndrome and lipodystrophy, rare conditions which stops her putting on weight, and have cost her the sight in one eye.


Lizzie Velasquez has been mocked most of her life but only realized that she was the target of trolls and bullies from around the world, when as a 17-year-old surfing the web, she came across a video of herself on YouTube that described her as the 'world's ugliest woman'.

'All we had known all my life was that I had a syndrome which meant that I couldn't gain weight. At the time, I thought everyone looked like me.'I didn't recognise or tell that they didn't look like me.It was afternoon. I decided to go look for music on YouTube - and that's when I found it.'

'I don't even know why I clicked on it but I did and that's when I lost it.Calling me a monster or asking why my parents didn't abort me... how in the world can I forgive the people who told me to kill myself?'

Now 25, the inspirational woman has proved all her 'haters' wrong. In addition to giving motivational speeches to sold out crowds around the world, Lizzie spoke at a TED Talk in 2013, the video of which ganered over 10 million viewers and which she says 'changed everything'.

Of her documentary, Lizzie says;

'This is my purpose. This is what I'm meant to do for the rest of my life. I like to think that I'm not only telling my story, I'm telling everyone's story.'

Here's wishing her all the best!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.