Friday, April 23, 2010

My Frohawk Hair Experiment.

Posted in:
The mohawk hairstyle has different varieties, the most popular of course is the one where the wearer shaves both sides of the head. Then there is the Frohawk which Wiki describes as "occasionally seen on African American punks, ravers and old-school hip-hop fans. Some include hair twists on the side, cornrows or just pinning up the sides. This style, originally the traditional haircut for warriors of the African Mandika tribe, was popularised by actor, wrestler and rapper Mr T."

So I cut my hair really short in February. Thing is I usually cut my hair once a year, remove at least three inches or so. I went overboard this year, don't ask me, :). I almost did the Big Chop except I had no new growth. It was soon after a retouch and I was about to fix an Afro Weave-on. I told the stylist, just cut it off, let's see what I look like without long hair. Not that we saw my frame-less face for long, we only admired the great haircut for a minutes before I put on the medium afro and left the shop.

You see I've always had long and fast growing hair. Like most girls in Nigeria, I had my hair natural till I finished secondary school. After my SSCE exams, one of the first things I did was to relax it. You should have seen the hair then, pitch black, long, thick, lots of volume. By my third year, I was tired of long hair and began looking at short hairstyles with longing. My parents, sisters and friends would hear of no such thing, I couldn't get myself to do it too, so I took refuge in the yearly trims and short weave-on styles when in the mood.

Fast forward to February, my 2009 trim had grown out again, I'm running out of style ideas and the short hair experiment was born. Anyways, I removed the Afro a couple of weeks ago and washed my hair. The next morning, reality hit. There was lots of new growth and it made the short hair stand up on end, lol. Each morning, I will condition and comb it back with no relief, after a few hours, it will puff up like blow dried chicken feathers. I also realized something I'd always feared, long hair is easier to manage. before now, I could have just put my hair in a Scrunchie and gone about my business.

Anyway, why this post? Earlier in the week, I had made an appointment with my hairstylist to retouch the hair yesterday. Thursday dawned and I was ready to go for my ESL volunteer class. As if knowing that I had a stylist appointment in the afternoon, the hair refused to be combed back even with conditioner. So I said, WTH? I combed it all forward. To make it look like a style, I pinned it up and flicked it to the side.

Guess what happened, everyone loved it! LOL. My students were all eyes and with their little English, used words like Fantastic! Excellent! Catwalk Hair! When I ran a few errands afterwards, it was the same. Being an ugly duckling and the Non-Fashionista that I am, I can assure you that I have never gotten so many looks and stares. I was blushing, lol, knowing deep down I was beefing the hair. This was me on my way to the hair salon, lol. Anyways I decided to come back home and take pictures to show Atala since he had left for work before me. He has been liking the short hair so it was no surprise he likes the Frohawk too, but more especially that flick at the front, lol. As it were, he could only admire the pics cos the hair is now tame and in a boring bob. After that, I had to share with you guys too.

Enjoy the rest of the flying frohawk...



ps, no this is not turning into a hair or fashion blog, lol

PSS, have a great weekend you all.



49 comments:

  1. First? Me likey the frohawk. I just did the big chop myself. I'm loving it, there's nothing like pouring cold water on my brain. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myne don't take this the wrong way or anything but I REALLY don't like you. Can you imagine saying:

    "You see I've always had long and fast growing hair."

    You are just trying to rub it in abi? MY hair NEVER grows "long and fast". It takes forever to even gain one inch! I can't say the same thing for my fingernails though (I only bring up fingernails because I am under the impression that fast growing nails = fast growing hair). I wish my hair grew like yours! Its so annoying!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hair does not grow long and fast, unless I do braids. I love the hair on you though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it, it's so unique.

    Ugly Duckling? Are you talking about yourself? 'Cos I can't place who you are talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cut my hair last month but i regretted it because i realised long hair is easier to manage too. I like the hairstyle,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the comments.

    @ Sumptuous, I enjoyed the shorthair for that reason too. I was washing it like every other day.

    @EDJ, lol. Now my nails do not grow fast so there, you can like me again right?

    @No Limit, thanks!

    @Andrea, thank you, it was just for the day though, lol.

    @Nakedsha, I hear you. Thanks dearie. It certainly was unique.

    @Shorty, long hair def easier, I won't be cutting it this short again unless I absolutely have to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo, i like it. I took off my braids, n i've been walking around campus looking like Teen Wolf, i shd try dis n see how it looks on me chale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have enough hair to frohawklize, so I do like, very much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. NICE!!! It seems like the universe is trying to show me something... Miss Fizxzy at Leave in the Kinks just did an awesome one as well... Hmmm... Now if only I could grow my hair long enough... :s

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol; it is called fowl feathers in 9ja & there is a weavon of that style! NO TRY MUSHIN& LAGOS ISLAND BABES O! U looked cute!
    @EDJ;lol....i beg no vex ehn? me i de provoke 4 MYNE o! na only skin cut de fit me because MY FRONTAL HAIR JUST REFUSED TO GROW UPON ALL THE ORISHIRISHI CREAM I DON USE! so no vex ehn? u hear me so!

    ReplyDelete
  11. very stylish! you're so daring! it suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like your frowhawk and it works well with that length.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all the comments, I now know what I'll be doing during my short hair days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice myne...looks good..no where close to being that brave tho...and it aint spiky naa like u said on my blog..its got volume and the whole ladida..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really cool.Except the hair isn't that short oh..Level it and you'd so love it!lol.. sha, but seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can never get this style to work on my head..it looks great on you.&& lol at the definition Wiki gave.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i wear my hair like that sometimes too!
    I think u look nice!

    ReplyDelete
  18. lovely hair do...not sure I can wear it myself, but I certainly like it on u...
    SH, pls don't ever refer to urself as an ugly duckling...I know u probably didn't mean it like that, but don't say it all d same...u r fearfully n wonderfully made...

    Oh, and since AWW liked it, u had no right to go have a bob done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Barefeet,

    @Sosexy, it's growing out now. I might give your idea a try at the next cut.

    @Robyn, thanks. It's really funny.

    @Dith and Iphy, thanks!

    @Another Phase, thanks I hear you. Yeah I was joking. As for Atala, it was turned to a bob before he got home sef and saw the pics. I left the flick at the front for him, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  20. lol see what we find when we are not looking.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Muyiwa and Taynement, you're so right, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Myne, weren't you going to participate in Harley's Body Language Blogfest?

    You're all right, aren't you? Hope so. If that's the case, come check out my entry, why don't you and say HI. Roland

    ReplyDelete
  23. definitely a hair or fashion post! ...lol

    as long as he likes it, no wahala!

    nice pics

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ojikwa this your fro hawk na west. Hope your weekend is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  25. myne your hair is nice,i once did my own like this too

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like it; too bad u'v gone n tamed it.
    That style was the craze for babes last xmas here in P.H; i think they called it 'Rihanna'... or smthng like that.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for the comments, Musco, NiceAnon and Gidi.

    @Kay9, I won't be surprised, Rihanna always has one hairstyle or the other. I may try it again, who knows? Hope you're having a good weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Whoa! You really rocked that hair :)

    PS: http://expressionandpoesy.blogspot.com/2010/04/my-pain.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. this is bold and it takes a gr8 deal of confidence to rock it..and u did rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks Tye and Histreasure

    ReplyDelete
  31. loooool! yeah! All hail team 'frohawk! lol I cut mine tho' prolly will have it up again soon *winks*

    Nice do..D'you still have it on?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks Aloted

    @Aedeeaee, No it is gone now, nut I think I got the confidence to try it again.

    @GNG, lol...just joking.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love it....its so awesome, i wish i could get my hair to look this good, weaves are slowly becoming a part of me...lol

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks Jhazmyn. I only do weaves sometimes, usually go without.

    ReplyDelete
  35. ugly duckling 4 where. wait til u c me.lmao. it tuk m tis lng to comment on dis despite reading it ages ago. it luks gud on u.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Omo, if my babe carry this kind style come back house ehn, forget doggy style or missionary and the others, na CHICKEN STYLE!!! all night long!!! long.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your hair is annoying awesome!!!!!!!!! so luxurious and thick...i feel a huge green eyed monster growing within me lol

    ReplyDelete
  38. love it!! I have an out of control fro now...hmmm....ideas....

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks MisNatural, lol...I'm sure hair is longer than mine.

    @ PGL, Frohawks do work best on Afros. Tell me what you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Blessings....

    This is a common hair style. I in the days when i permed my hair wore it myself. I have natural hair now, no more perms for me. I enjoy the versatility of our natural hair - I go from curly to straight to afro to cornrows to braids to semi-curl/straight and back to the natural spiral tight curls, just straight is boring and one becomes a slave to the curling iron and constant retouching not to mention the damage the perm does to the hair.

    After years of perming in 1999 I elected to go natural and never looked back. My hair has been so happy that now its length is mid back, people are always asking me, is that you real hair, is it a weave? I simply answer it is natural thank you.

    There is a misconception that people of African decent that their hair does not grow long, boy are they wrong. My daughters before they cut there's one was mid back the other was almost to her bottom and yes its all afro hair! There is a technique in combing and treating our hair and if one is inclined they do can have long natural hair.

    Thanks for the article I enjoyed it. Every once in a while its nice to diverge.

    Have a fabulous week...
    smooches from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  41. Blessings...
    I am not sure my first comment was posted. I have been experiencing difficulty posting comments on your blog, don't know why. In any event my comment was...(I have to paraphrase now because i don't remember the exact words)

    This hairstyle is very common here, wasn't aware it had a name. When i permed my hair years ago I wore it a few times as well.

    I wear my hair natural now. I much perfer it to the permed hair as I enjoy the versatility it affords. I am able to go from natural to straight, to curly puffs, to straight/curly combinations to cornrows to braids. My hair is very long and I am often asked if I have a weave and I answer no it is natural and they look for other explainations as to why my hair is so long.

    There is a misconception about people of african decent hair - that it cannot grow long. Wrong! My daughters before they cut their hair one had hair to the middle of her back and the other almost to her bottom. Mine is mid back and yes its all natural kinky curly hair.

    I often have sistahs ask me how I got my hair this long and my response is there is a techinque in how we comb, wash, treat our hair, practice it and it will grow! I believe we have the best texture hair and the versatility is endless not to mention playful.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks B, I'm gathering the courage for a transitioning, who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  43. HELLPP! I HAVE A SHORT HAIR-A LITTLE LONG AT THE FRONT BUT SHORT IN THE BACK ESPECIALLY IN THE MIDDLE-(I HAVE NO HAIR AT ALL IN THE MIDDLE)I NEED HELP ON HOW TO GROW MY MIDDLE HAIR LONGER AND STYLES TO COVER IT UP FOR NOW
    PLS ANYTHING WILL HELP

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.