Saturday, March 26, 2011

Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Reviews

Posted in:
So these were the reviews I got from the Amazon experts. I was a little demoralized when I checked the Quaterfinals List and my name was missing, you know how your heart is beating so fast and then it sinks to the bottom of your tummy? Anyway, I logged in to the back end, and the reviews made me feel somewhat better. The reviewers read the first 5000 words, which in the MS was the first 2 chapters, and it's heartening to read that they liked it, and saw potential.

1. ABNA Expert Reviewer

What is the strongest aspect of this excerpt?

The setting in Nigeria is the strongest aspect of this setting. Though several of the characters have spent time or are connected somehow to other regions, they all seem to be drawn back to Nigeria. I have heard of few books that are set in this country, and I'm willing to bet not many of those are romances. I feel that if this story explores Nigerian culture and history, the setting will prove a great asset.

What aspect needs the most work?

I don't read many romances in general, so I found the main romantic relationship hard to follow, especially because it was in the past. I could tell that there was a strong relationship at some point, especially since the couple had been engaged, but not many details are provided otherwise. Though these may be revealed later on, I would have liked to know them somewhat earlier on to get a better grasp of where the story is going.

What is your overall opinion of this excerpt?

I think this excerpt is as a whole pretty well done, even if the only large aspect that stands out to me is merely the setting. So far the characters are interesting and unique, and although I found it difficult to follow the history of the main romantic relationship, I did find myself wanting to know more about it and where it could possibly go. This story seems to have a lot of potential to confront some important issues; of course, this early on, I am unable to judge how well this is done, if at all.


2. ABNA Expert Reviewer


What is the strongest aspect of this excerpt?

In this piece, I sense that many roadblocks to a relationship are going to be tackled...the strongest of which appears to be pride. According to each of the main characters, Efe and Kevwe, each was the victim of a breakup - which could prove to be interesting as the reader is given further detail on what actually happened. As the reader and the two characters sort that out, this could prove to create a high level of dramatic and romantic tension.

What aspect needs the most work?

As the story jumps around in time, and as conflicting information is given by each of the main characters as to what happened in the past, the reader spends much time trying to keep track of events, people, places and years.

The prose has an awkward flow. There are sentences that are too heavy with descriptive words, "Would definitely have taken a toll on her purse, and it would have been completely impossible to live there. The city was definitely not cheap and she frequently found..." - that's a LOT of adverbs. Or, "Efe flicked her nose (?) and cursed under her breath. First the stumbling, now she was mumbling." Why would she flick her nose and then there is the sound repetition. Or, "This last statement was made with the air of someone who’d just had his request handed over on a platter of gold." That just doesn't flow well - a professor had just announced he was leaving - he hadn't made any request.

As this story takes place in countries and cultures that may be unfamiliar to many readers, the prose needs to be clear and easy to understand so the reader has a foundation on which to grasp and understand new terms or customs.

What is your overall opinion of this excerpt?

I am curious about the character of Efe - she seems to be a young woman who has made different choices than her family might have expected. I would like to understand why she thinks Kevwe broke up with her and why he thinks the same of her - which is probably the basis for this rekindled romance.

These two characters seem interesting and the details the reader is gradually getting about them should make for a well paced romantic novel.

______________

PS, so it was great being part of ABNA, and taking on board their comments, I'll work on another MS towards next year's contest. Meanwhile the MS with the above reviews was further professionally edited, and has now been published as A Love Rekindled. You can buy it on Amazon.com. And you can sign on to help me publicize the book launch from March 31 - April 3 HERE







23 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your positive feedback! And let me know how I can help with your exciting book launch :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Myne, does ALR have a paper version cos on amazon.co.uk it says kindle edition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a huge smile when i read the bit about too many adverbs Myne. Funny thing is that's what I enjoy the most about communicating with Nigerian people. That's probably because having been exposed to the people rather than the books, when I read I have a picture of not only the words but the over the top gesticulating and facial expressions as well. It makes for a lot of enjoyable reading if you're more informed. Unfortunately the rest of the world is not very informed about Africa and who she is. I don't know if what I'm saying has any relevance but thought I'd share it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I concur with what wendy said and its all good, because its part of your growth.

    Hugs, i am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how Africa has been put in a pretty little box; that is, write only about culture and tradition and leave the romantic stuff to the west. (From what one reviewer said: I have heard of few books that are set in this country, and I'm willing to bet not many of those are romances. I feel that if this story explores Nigerian culture and history, the setting will prove a great asset.)

    But overall it was a good review, a really really encouraging one. And let me say, Myne, I love your energy, guts, consistence and steadfastness. An outstanding quality especially for us upcoming writers.

    Well done, girl and big big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all so much.

    @Scathing, will be sending emails out this weekend.

    @Kiky, the paperback will soon be available, hopefully soon.

    @Wendy, you're right. One can only hope that the reader 'gets' you.

    @Neefemi, thank dear.

    @Maid, that also made me smile. And tells me I'm right to be thinking outside the box.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very happy for you that you had positive feedbacks, even though at first it didn't seem that way. About putting us in a box, I think its that way, cos for so long the whites have been telling our own stories and making the world have a serotyped picture of africa. Like I always say it's time we tell our own story..be it romance, horror, science fiction, fantasy etc..
    Congrats again..
    Secondly please do you know any editors, cos I was told my story didn't have a nigerian feel...
    www.secretlilies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. TMK - I'm about to read your stories but tell me, are they about Nigeria or something happening in Nigeria. If not why should they have a Nigerian feel. Is that not the boxing in being referred to here? A good story should be judged on the basis of being a good story should it not? Never mind the writers' background.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ah ah Myne nawa oo, my deadline for LR's review is fast approaching and I have no book to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats Myne, i promise to get my copy shortly

    ReplyDelete
  11. congrats on your novel and the amazon review!!..i'll try to get the book sometime next month :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Myne, congratulations on all the positive feedback! How exciting to get that from the contest! And congratulations on your book launch. I'm already signed up to help:)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. congrats dear! i wish u all the best with this novel :)

    as for that comment about the flow of the sentences and adverbs and all that- that was just nonsense lol. I think the best part of reading a story about a different culture is diving headfirst into that cultures way of talking, interacting, etc. I wouldn't read a book about China and insist they speak pidgin lol.

    Anywho, keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well thats promising! I posted my feedback a few days back too. I didnt make the cut either, but it's still nice to hear those positive aspects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is great Myne- the review i mean. At least they are giving constructive criticism so you know where you stand. Also, self improvement is a lifetime thing.

    On the whole, it seems they liked it, so kudos!

    Adiya
    http://thecornershopng.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. its good to have feedbacks and their curiousity is obvious. when is the launch? In what aspect can I be of help? pls mail or drop a line on facebook so I can start.
    Congrats again. you encourage me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks everyone, it was indeed constructive feedback which I always cherish.

    @Uzezi, I'll shoot you a mail.

    @Maria, thanks, will reply today.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think they're positive well balanced reviews. Congrats and good luck. We need it :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats Ms Myne!!!!!1 *Happy Dance for ya*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great feedback, and I think it shows you have a really good thing here with your novel!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wooop!!!! congrats. Fair review

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.