Monday, June 20, 2011

Romance on a Road Trip - Salt Lake City, Utah

Posted in: , ,

Hello people, welcome to another week. I want to use this opportunity to welcome all my new followers and commenters. I'm still catching up after our vacation, and if I haven't visited, followed or commented on your blog recently, please let me know in the comments. Now to today's post from one of our stops - Salt Lake City.

Well, you all know I'm a champion for public displays of affection, where I might disagree is with those who want to climb into each other's throats as a definition of affection. If you wanna get sexual, find a room already, lol. Anyway, something happened during our trip and I couldn't help falling in love all over again.



So we got to Salt Lake City in the evening after a long drive, and I was happy to check in to our hotel and freshen up. Though the clock said 6pm, the sun was so high in the sky and HOT! We decided to relax and wait for it to cool a bit. Not wanting to while away the city, we made plans to hit it for a movie and dinner out.

Atala decided to make the arrangements and after checking on the internet, found a cinema in the area. Since it was a multiplex, I knew there has to be a restaurant nearby and hope we could get both things done with less stress. At first, I wanted to drive us there but Atala said it shouldn't be more than 10mins. Of course I already knew he loves us taking walks together.


An so we strode into the setting sun. It was still warm but bearable, and some sights like the park above and the murals below, kept us company as we chatted and walked. Sometimes, we were hand in hand, or I had my hand in his back pocket or waist. But after 10mins became 15, I began to flag. Luckily, I had changed into flats when I agreed to walk, but as sweat trickled down my non-existent cleavage, I wondered if we'll ever get there.




"Are we there yet?" I asked as we passed this hotel. But it wasn't it. I began to grumble along with my tummy, we hadn't eaten anything since breakfast in the last city where we has stayed over. He offered to carry me, I reminded of our weight ratio, and we laughed it off.


We soon came to the mural above and I was distracted. This picture doesn't do it justice, it really looks great and so I had to take a picture.


And then we marveled that small Salt Lake City had a tram while Seattle were still discussing ours. Oh well, moving on...


Here we are at the multiplex. We arrived around 8pm, some 25 minutes after we left the motel. I was so happy to see it, I stuffed my camera in the bag so we could find a place to eat. We chose Z-Tejas to get a feel of the South-West Cuisine. The food was great and I was satisfied by the time we were done by about 8.45. The still light airy outside beckoned and we set off again to burn some calories before the movie (X-Men First Class) at 9.50pm.

So we set off on another, more leisurely this time, walk. The shopping complex was called The Gateway (Above) and the centrepiece was a dancing fountain with lights. It was supposed to go off every 30mins so I suggested we go see it. The mood was so romantic. Soft Jazz filled the air from the small, artfully placed speakers along the walkway. Atala is a jazz geek and recognized some of the music as we walked along, belly full, and intertwined arms swinging.


I remember halfway stopping, hitching myself up on a stout post and hugging him in the middle of the street there. We talked sweet nothings for a few minutes before we moved on.


By the time we got to the fountains, it was almost nine. The ground was not too wet, and we wondered if they were still functional and on time. But some kids had towels around themselves as though they had just been in the water. So we waited, and I clicked off a few shots.


The whole circular area with the fountain was themed to the Winter Olympics held in Salt Lake City in 2002 and I was amazed at the ways in which we can record history, without shutting it off in museums or galleries. Anyone coming here will note these sponsors of the games, and get a window into the kind of businesses in the area.




Well, 9 o'clock came and went and there was no fountain. We walked about a bit more, took a few more pictures, and then I don't know how it happened. One moment, I was checking out the names on the paving stones (below), and the next, Atala had swung me into his arms and we were dancing. I guess if the fountains refused to dance, we could do it then. There were a few people around but if felt like it was just the two of us.


Though we had taken some classes in Ballroom, we weren't really doing any particular dance. Wrapped in each other, our footsteps shuffled and moved over the ground in no particular order. It was just enough there was no stepping on toes. I laughed out loud when Atala began to move, first in a small box, and then in a wider arc. I was so sorry when it was over. We snuggled on the seats again and shared some kisses. When 9.30 rolled around and no fountain, we moosied on back to the cinema.


On the way, security informed us the fountain closed early on Sunday. Well, fountain or none, I had one of the greatest times of my road trip in that small Gateway Centre. Thanks, Salt Lake City.





43 comments:

  1. wowwww,that was just sweet,I envy yhu ehn,now I have to think of doing my own road trip.
    Are yhu beefing me? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwwww. this is so romantic, now you make me envy you a lil. keep on enjoying

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was pure undiluted fun.Ride on Myne,regards to Atala!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a good way to get your groove on with the hubby! Hehe!! Fun fun fun!

    And i tagged you back on the sunshine award! So glad i got to 'meet' you lol

    Adiya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw at the spontaneous ballroom dancing, how sweet! Carry go my sister :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are having FUN babes! Carry goooooo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww...

    I'm glad you enjoyed your get-away

    ReplyDelete
  8. awww I really envy you...loll.
    Wonderful road trip I must say and romantic too.
    Nice.
    Please enjoy yourself my dear this life is to short to regret never having fun.
    www.secretlilies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. awww I really envy you...loll.
    Wonderful road trip I must say and romantic too.
    Nice.
    Please enjoy yourself my dear this life is to short to regret never having fun.
    www.secretlilies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwwww.... c real life romance oo. humm..when I grow up :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. blessings....
    glad to read you are making the best of your vacation. keep the love flowing girl.

    peace...
    Rhapsody

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm Myne and Atala, mushy susshy feeling!
    Envy ‎​you seriously I wish........! So ‎​you can make a novel out of this(two writers romancing...).

    ENJOY unasef well wellu :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I guess, now I fully understand. Interesting piece... lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  14. aaahhhh! myne and atala sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G! lol that started playing in my head after i read this :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you all.

    @Enybees, a novel together will be cool, but we'll stick with fiction. :)

    @Mrs Newlywed, now you got me laughing...

    ReplyDelete
  16. @gretel, beefing you? Not at all o, coming over now.

    @Adiya, thank you!

    @Tamuno, you're so right!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was a good break for both of you, thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was sooo beautiful, I've always wanted to go to Utah, especially because of the Mormon history. looks like you had a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful country around there. Sounds like you are having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. By the sound of things and the pictures, you had a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  21. *dreamy eyes* .... How romantic! Fountain or no fountain, you guys had fun (and made memories)

    ****

    And they lived happily ever after!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awww...this kine love o...
    God bless u two, endlessly...amen

    ReplyDelete
  23. What beats this groovy kind of trip! This is absolutely romantic

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you all, for bringing more smiles to my face. I wish everyone the same and say Amen to your prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The pics are so glamorous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I had to take in every single line. Love is such a beautiful thing! Gosh! My heart is all mushy now...I love how you still savored the moment even without the fountain. Wish you both the best!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks Kitkat and Scorpiospeaks, I appreciate your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  28. was even wondering where u went off to. i chked a couple of blogs and noticed a kinda "reduction" in myne whitman comments. :) so... vacation u say? su-weeet!

    ReplyDelete
  29. nice work u r doing. my first time here. will visit again

    ReplyDelete
  30. Appreciated your visit and your prayers. Blessings Myne.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am almost jealous! Nice to be here again.

    ReplyDelete
  32. And they say romanced is dead? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks all,

    @Bizavenue, you're welcome to my blog.

    @Adura, not dead at all :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. AND FINALLY SOMEIN ROMANTIC...hmmm myne this is really sweet...cant believe ure both romantics...noice like the english man wud say...so envious...na to begin prayer and fasting so my boo will do better and his romantic antenna will switch on

    ReplyDelete
  35. Awww how lovely!! True companionship!! that's were is at mehn.

    ReplyDelete
  36. aww, you're such a romantic. In fact both of u. I was smiling throughout as I was reading.I'm glad you had a nice time.
    Btw, i forgot to mention, i rily liked your posts with the good blog, bad blog. It sort of helped me forge on with mine. Hopefully i'll get there one day..slow and steady. lol and yes o, you've not followed my blog yet. Just a reminder.Great week!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks Barefeet, where have you been?

    And same to Dith and Random.

    @Stelzz, must rectify that oversight, and you're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love it, love it! all so romantic:)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ehen. Written like the author of two romance novels. hehehe. I don't jealous you not :)

    Love is a wonderfl thing..

    ReplyDelete
  40. awwwwww i love love... sounds like a lovely romantic trip..

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.