Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Speak up and stop the predators

Posted in: , , , ,
UPDATE: Like Ginger pointed out in the comments, the onus should not just be on the girl and I totally agree. It is on us all. Some people are putting their money where their mouth is. #eienigeria


I read Seun Odukoya's blog and discovered that Abike Dabiri is calling on the rape victim in this video to step forward. Seun says it's not that easy to speak up, and I agree.
In my final year in University, I was harassed for sexual favors by one of my lecturers. It was not in exchange for grades and he did not threaten to fail me. Maybe he did hope to scare me, after all I was young and under his power. He was in his forties, and one of the top lecturers in the department. Of course I had heard stories about his womanizing ways, but when he showed an interest in me, I thought it was only because I was billed to be the best of my class.  

I frequently went to his office for one thing or the other, sometimes with classmates, and other times alone. That day, he called me specifically and I followed him. I left the door open but after we spoke for a while, he went and closed it. He sat beside me and told me how my intelligence turned him on and asked whether I was interested in a relationship. Confused and embarrassed, I said I wasn’t and got up to leave. He asked me to pass him some files on the floor and when I bent over, he touched my backside. Then, I wished the floor should open up and swallow me.
While inside I was so humiliated and scared, I tried to show a bold face. I glared at him and walked out of the room. For a while I avoided him, and I did not tell anyone what had happened. But I couldn’t continue missing his classes, and when I returned, he pretended that nothing had happened, smiling and chatting with me. I followed his lead, and put it behind me. I was a big girl, wasn’t I?
Although I later started talking about it when the issue of sexual harassment in school came up, I never made a big deal of it back at the University. I went to his house when his wife had a baby, and attended his mother’s funeral. I didn’t want anyone to suspect, I didn’t want to be one of the statistics. I could almost hear people asking, what were you wearing that day? Why were you alone with a male lecturer in a closed office? I didn’t want any part of that. I was the perfect victim.
Why do I say that? I’ve since come to realize that the predator’s greatest protection is the victim’s silence. Sometimes I wonder how many other girls that lecturer lured because I remained silent.
But why do we remain silent? It goes back to those questions people will ask. And it is not just people, it is authority figures, vice chancellors, courts, leaders. They will ask, "Why is she making noise, after all, he didn't do much. She should just move on. She must have done something to deserve it. We know this man, he is too respectable to do that. He is a married man with a family, why does she want to wreck his home? She’s just a bitter girl, out to destroy an illustrious career." And on and on…
Back to the video making the rounds. I’m sure the young men that gang-raped the victim and made the video were counting on society’s self righteous judgment against her as we’re seeing on blogs and social media. They must be counting on the victim being shamed into silence and preferring to move on with her life. That is their protection. 
And that is why I join in calling for the girl to report to either the police or preferably a charity that can represent her. She is the only one that can quickly identify those men. Keeping silent will not heal her trauma, in fact most therapy require you to talk about your abuse. Also, imagine if these beast are left to roam, who knows how many more lives they will destroy? They need to be identified, and their power demystified.
In a chat on FB, someone in Abia State where this happened says the news is already dying down, the view is that we bloggers are just making noise. A friend who works with Radio Nigeria says the only clear way forward for their investigative reporter is to speak with the girl, as other avenues may be to resource intensive. We can already see the Governor and School authorities ready to close the case.
So this is a call to the girl and those abused in the past or in the future. Please speak up and do not protect the predators. Stand forward and stop the cycle. HUGS.



33 comments:

  1. hmm,I'm speechless, I'm just remembering all the harassment I had in school by my lecturers, I would cry and cry and nobody would know why,my HOD promised me first class if I slept with him, some had my number from sources I don't know,I thank God that none of them could have their way but today I can help other young girls in my department know who to avoid and now I think I get why she should confide in someone,I wish her strength and I'm praying for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May God help us and save us in this generation and the ones to come.

    I can completely understand how victims will feel compelled to keep silent especially in the African community where all these seemingly over righteous African women begin to look at you, the victim, as though whatever happened to you was of your own doing.

    If it happens and you speak up they twist it to become your fault either fully or partially and if it happens and you don't they make it seem like you enjoyed it, hence the reason the victim didn't speak up.

    We all really just need to be re-educated. In the mean while, God will help us and may those bastards who raped that girl not die anytime soon. May their deaths be worse than every natural disaster plus man made disaster put together and may they live to suffer the pain and then eventually die from the pain

    AMEN

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cant say i truly understand her pain. It must be really tough to be in her shoes right now. But i hope the perpetrators of this act are fished out and made to face the law.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only imagine what she is going through. My sympathy does to her and other people who have sad tales like this.
    I'm still not sure of where I stand. For her to speak up or move on. Speaking up could mean one of two things, the beginning of punishment for the rapists or the beginning of the social stigma for her. I would advise she stands up if she's ready to face both. Sometimes, it is better to talk about somethings after healing.
    I pray for justice for her. May the rapists get what they deserve wherever they are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fear for the safety of this girl. Has any one bothered to think that the reason the girl is not talking is maybe life is already been threatened. Imagine having to go through such humiliation and having to keep quite just to save her life.

    The Governor and others of the universities are adamant it did nit happen in the state. Just like you wrote Myne, the girl's silence is their protection.

    something is not right here, that girl need to be kept in protective custody if we intend to get justice for her. Her life is not safe anymore and no matter how much we rant on the web, this girl will not talk is she is not guaranteed her life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its a tough one Myne.

    I doubt if it will be easy for the girl to come out. No one knows the amount of threat she's going through now. But I really pray there's an outcome. It's rather sad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comments and I agree, it can't be easy.

    @'Lara, I hope she can get protective custody too. My hope is that she can testify without having it made public. That is only the judge will be privy to her identity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Myne, I think it is wrong that the onus is being placed on the girl. Cos that mean if she doesnt come out, govt and police can say 'oh, but she didnt come out and speak'. That is wrong. if armed robbers come to a house masked, yes the owner of the house can help and yes his words are key, but neighbours normally provide info too. Rapists are not born over night. and for this group of boys to have had the guts to do this, they have prolly done worse. ABSU students should all hold themselves guilty, law students as well, if they cant come up and give names. The girl's life is probably in danger now. that is if she is alive God forbid...

    ReplyDelete
  9. As for telling the victim to come out, and talks of protective custody and all that in Nigeria, i dont think a rape victim would be that optimistic but i seriously hope she comes forth, and if and when she does, i hope she isnt abandoned along the way, like most poor people who seek justice for anything here

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can so relate to this. I had my share of near encounters too especially from people I really trusted. I really love your blog.

    x.


    http://isetfiretotherain.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you. One thing is sure, nothing will happen to those guys if the girl is not bold enough to come out, because everyone will be working with pure speculations

    ReplyDelete
  12. Guys rarely get sexually assaulted in schools so i don't have personal experience.However,i am aware that the society doesn't help in this matter at all,our belief are sometime preposterous.We mostly make the victims look like the ones who are guilty and that is the reason lots of women don't come out when they are abused.It's just so sad!

    ReplyDelete
  13. the predator’s greatest protection is the victim’s silence---well said.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks to everyone,and please spread the word.

    @Ginger, the onus is on all of us. The girl speaking out will just make things easier and faster. As far as i know, both press and civil authorities are on this case already. I'm hoping justice comes either way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really hope the girl speaks up or people with info speak up... It's not easy...

    ReplyDelete
  16. So very sad. Here is wishing her the courage to step forward.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I truly hope she does. She may the only way to justice.

    ~x~

    ReplyDelete
  18. sooo sad.... did u read my blog-post on 'justifying rape" I read some people's twitter comment and I got soo sad ... there are more girls out there who are being harrassed than we know

    ReplyDelete
  19. many women keep quiet about everything

    ReplyDelete
  20. Abi, that is so true. I hope we all get the courage to speak up, and know that it's not our fault. I'll be checking out your post too.

    Thanks everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so lost for words. This is so terrible. I pray for this girls recovery from this awful thing. I hope she more than overcomes this. These men will get their just desserts. Maybe not now, and maybe not straight away. But they will surely pay for this. God dey!
    I'm so saddened by this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Its a tough one Myne.

    I doubt if it will be easy for the girl to come out. No one knows the amount of threat she's going through now. But I really pray there's an outcome. It's rather sad

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so heartbreaking. .I don't know if the girl would come forward, but I hope she does. I'd imagine she feels like at this point there's nothing anyone can do to change what happened. I also send my prayers out to her.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope she can find the courage come out. If they find her and she isnt ready/doesnt feel safe to take about the issue, there isnt anything anybody can do about it. This is Nigeria we are talking about, no witness protection system, nothing to safeguard this young lady's life should she come out. The incentives have to be upped along with our prayers for some divine intervention.
    As progress is made, there isnt any need to broadcast it. We know that Nigerians have their own ways of getting info if they want. My point is, the investigation should be done as discreetly as possible. However, putting "discreet investigation" and "Nigeria" in the same instance sounds like a no win....I dont know, I really don't..*sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  25. This perpetrators shouldn't be allowed to go unpunished! If not for anything, justice for this lady must be seen as the least redemption of her human virtue that her attackers took from her.

    I only pray that the concerned lady steps forward. She should know those bastards are only banking on her silence to seek protection from justice. Reticence wouldn't help... Justice can only be assured with her help.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's so true about our silence and trying to hide, and coming forward can be a really hard thing to do. Although silence protects the predator, it also in a way protects the victim because we know we'll be victimized once we do come forward. My biggest piece of advice is to have a strong network and be able to take the blow of police deciding to do nothing before you report because sadly that is the common way it works out. That being said, I don't at all regret coming forward myself. I think it is very important to do and is the only way we can someday push for justice in any case - show that it happens, show that it is us, that we didn't ask for it, we won't sit silent and ignore it, and etc.

    I hope that she is somehow given a way to come forward anonymously and be kept out of the media.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really pray those guys do not go unpunished.

    Is anyone able to identify the victim yet?

    - LDP

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is definitely blog worthy. It's important to get the word out. Justice must be meted out. we can't continue to close our eyes while these kind of vices thrive in our societies. Sad! Just so sad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Scary situation indeed, Myne.

    As a woman attempting to simply gain an education I imagine it has to be even more frustrating as well as uncomfortable when your professor has other things in mind.

    I agree, the victim must never ever remain silent during times of clear, unexpected violation. I'm willing to bet that you weren't his first victim, either.

    Encouraging message being handed down here with this post. Good deal.

    ReplyDelete
  30. EIE Nigeria deserves a thumbs up. Nothing moves Nigerians like money...sadly.

    Thanks for noting my small objection.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such a sad story I hope that in the end there is justice for this victim.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ditto. No one should have to go through that and I pray they catch those scoundrels. I hope she speaks out.

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.