Thursday, December 1, 2011

Humor in Nollywood - PHONE SWAP BY KUNLE AFOLAYAN

Posted in: , , ,

I'm not usually a big fan of what passes for humor in Nollywood movies, it sometimes gets too manic for me with people screaming or shouting. It's either pint sized Aki and Pawpaw are spoofing as children or adults, or other comedians are speaking strangely or grabbing crotches and breasts. Osuofia (Nkem Owoh) has been lucky with some good scripts but I don't know how that is going. These days, I just opt for the dramas and stay away from the so-called comedy. Even in Hollywood movies, I don't go for movies with crude toilet humor, or unwarranted slapstick, they just come off as cheap laughs.

In the trailer below, Kunle Afolayan presents Phone Swap.

Synopsis - An arrogant business executive and a warm hearted fashion designer exchange lives after accidentally swapping their mobile phones at a busy airport...


I laughed out loud in a couple of the scenes in the trailer and I look forward to seeing the movie. I consider Kunle Afolayan one of the best directors in Nigeria now, and I love the cast of the movie. It appears Zebrudaya of New Masquerade is making a comeback. Nse is cool as a timid Igbo girl, and Joke Silva's belch - incomparable. The male actor is a new face, I saw him in the free episodes of Meet The Adebanjos (a Afro-Brit comedy web series) and he is continuing the laughs here.

Kudos to the team, and looking ahead to better movies, comedy and otherwise from Nollywood.



12 comments:

  1. LOL
    True, sometimes the supposed comedy films are always just plain embarrassing, adults trying to behave like fools isn't funny to me.

    I love Nkem Owoh's roles though and he interprets them beautifully too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol!!!! Esp at the last joke. What do you do? Business. Ewo. I really hope I can see this Kunle Afolayan production. I still haven't seen the figurine. Really want to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @MsJB, exactly, lol. I agree about Nkem Owoh.

    @Author, hahaha, those business guys are hilarious. I just got onto hibuzz and they recently premiered Figurine. Their systems seems to have a problem though which meant I couldn't see it when I tried too download.

    ReplyDelete
  4. loving this !!! got to keep track!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol I feel you on the typical nollywood comedies!

    This movie looks good!!! Can't wait to see it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL looking forward to it..lol haha what is your handiwork? business..LOOOOOOOL they looked so serious..lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. "what is ur handiwork??" bass stern voice: "Business" lmaoooo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so want to see what role those guys play in the movie. And you know I have a thing for twins :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Myne I should send you a picture of Osoufia at my house when they asked to shoot a scene in my lounge last year in SA.
    But you know fiction does tend to mimic life and I had the biggest laugh the other day when some madam and a laborer were throwing tantrums on the street. I felt like I was in one of those movies. Fiction exaggerates of course. LOL

    http://fabulositygalore.blogspot.com/
    http://fabulositynouveau.blogspot.com/
    http://fabulosityreads.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to see this movie. I havn't really paid much attention to nollywood in a long time....I have however enjoyed movies produced by Kunle Afolayan, Taiye Ogidan and Mainframe productions.


    ..miss the 90's Nollywood.

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.