Tuesday, January 31, 2012

How to Sell your writing Online as an eBook and in Print

Posted in: ,
Please, the time has come when I need your help SERIOUSLY. I just want to find out some things and knowing your wealth of experience, I am sure you can help me. As you know, the book I am working on is almost ready and I intend to sell some e-copies before going to print. It is about selling my books online.
This was an email I received recently and I have reproduced the questions and my suggestions below.


1. How can I upload my ebook on Amazon to sell and what do I require to be elligible for this?

You simply go to kdp.amazon.com and register. If you already shop from Amazon you can use the same sign in. It is free but I think you need a credit card or bank account so they can pay you when you make sales. You can find more information on their help site  https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help

2. Do I need to do anything extra for people to be able to buy my book on kindle? or does uploading it on Amazon qualify the book to be bought on kindle?

Uploading it at the link above will make it automatically available on Amazon and people who have the Kindle will be able to download it wherever they are.

3. Apart from Amazon, what other sites can I sell the e-copies of my books?

Apart from Amazon, Smashwords.com will distribute your eBook to several retailers including Apple, Diesel, Kobo, Sony, and on their own website. I greatly recommend Smashwords since their sign-up requirements are less tasking for international authors, and you can get paid through Paypal. They will also distribute to Amazon and Barnes and Noble, but I suggest doing these sites yourself since the option is there, and you get more up to date reports on uploading you book and after that, on sales. To self publish on B&N, go to pubit.barnesandnoble.com. Register with the relevant details and you can upload your book. You may require to provide some tax details and/or a credit card.

4. I heard from a fellow writer that there are sites where when people order for my books, the site will print it into hard copy (Paper back or hard cover) and deliver to those people. Do you have an idea what these sites are?

Yes indeed, there are several sites where you can get print on demand services. The foremost providers, and they're virtually free are Createspace.com and Lulu.com. For Createspace, you upload all the necessary files and once the final look is approved by you, your book becomes available on Amazon.com. The book will also be given expanded distribution for a nominal fee.

Lulu first makes the book available on their site, and later on other online retailers including Amazon. My tip is that you use only one of them. I forgot to mention earlier that you can also publish your eBook on Lulu.com for free and it would be sold on their site.

For assisted and paid for Print on Demand, the biggest player is Author Solutions - they are the ones behind AuthorHouse, xLibris, iUniverse, Trafford, Westbow, Balboa and Abbott, among others. I used them for my first book but found them a bit costly for someone just starting out. However, their services are topnotch and I may go back to them with time.


Let me know in the comments if the above throws up any further questions and I'll try my best to give a fitting answer.



23 comments:

  1. Ok I have been visiting this blog and I'm still trying to understand how I missed all of these.
    These tips are great.
    I think I need to sit down and revisit my options.
    Great job Myne, well-done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MsJB, glad they're useful. I'll still reply your email though.

      Delete
    2. Ok thank you.
      Looking forward to it

      Delete
  2. Hmmmm this was helpful. This is very related to what I was going to discuss with you.

    People, THE GEEBEE CHRONICLES is back. Catch up on the latest episodes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back GeeBee, I was wondering if you fell off the earth :)
      Let's chat on NS.

      Delete
    2. Fell of the earth? lol. Okay will hook up on NS. Thanks ma'am.

      Delete
  3. Great info, thanks! Can you give a ballpark figure for books printed by Author Solutions? Thanks!! (kittiehoward@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My experience is with Authorhouse and I would say that the basic you can pay for the design, printing and distribution service is about $500 - $700.

      Delete
  4. Heard once, the joy of reading a book was holding it and the smell of paper...ok, I made that up. Not a fan of reading anything longer than a page on an electronic media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to say that too, lol... until I realised, hey, I read blogs on my laptop or Phone for hours!

      Delete
  5. very good info!! I'm finding this blogville experience very exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to blogging, and coming over to my blog.

      Delete
  6. Wow! am I stale or what? Lovely theme Myne,Lovely. I read the story carefull and really enjoyed it. Reminds me of few years back when we would travel to our hometown for Christmas. Haven't done that in years now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back Mikey and happy New Year. Glad you enjoyed Gboyega's story.

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much Myne...this is so useful for my business. I can give several options to my clients and i'm so loving this and loving you more..lol. But Seriously! Meawhile, you didn't get to publish my interview again on Authors services in Nigeria et al. I have been expecting. Cheers and have a lovey-dovey February. Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very sorry for the delay, Logos. It will be going up tomorrow on Naija Stories. Cheers.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the information! Great stuff. later *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the info Myne! I dream to publish..but who buys poetry now a days?

    This is helpful! I should look into publishing. haha...is that too much to dream about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jabez, hold onto your dreams. People do buy poetry though it may not be mass market. I'll say look for a publisher or try one of the free services. All the best!

      Delete
  10. Very informative, Myne. You forgot to add that pubit for Barnes and Nobles is only available for US based publishers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing it out Kiru, I didn't even know that.

      Delete
  11. I truly believe the hard part in the task of finding ways to sell your product online is not the actual writing process, but how to go about selling your work. There are a number of websites and methods that enable an author to sell their written content online. Some of these involve dealing directly with those looking for writers, while others involve writing content ahead of time and marketing that pre-written work for sale to those who are in need of that specific content. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great beat ! I would like to apprentice whilst you amend your web site,
    how can i subscribe for a blog web site? The account helped me a applicable deal.
    I were tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided vibrant
    clear concept

    Feel free to surf to my homepage table saw

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.