Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Guest Author - Abimbola Dare: The Small Print

Posted in: , ,
Abimbola Dare

Abimbola Dare grew up in Lagos, Nigeria where she attended Vivian Fowler memorial college for girls. She moved the UK for her first degree and Masters. She later met and married her best friend and greatest fan on earth who she calls chinese eyes, and they are blessed with the cutest daughter ever. When she's not writing, Abimbola keeps her brain busy by thinking about the next plot or twist to add to an imaginary novel.

Why did you write the book?

I once had a blog in which I used to write as Bimbylads (coined from a combination of my first name and maiden name; the genius that I am) and after a couple of years of blogging with unexpected success and exposure, I got to a point where I was feeling unmotivated to continue to blog on such a personal level and so decided to start a story to take the focus of my own day to day life. It was supposed to be a short story. Two chapters. End of.

But for some mad, crazy reason, people seemed to enjoy the story. And for an even madder, crazier reason, I couldn’t seem to be able to stop writing. Eventually I completed the badly written novel. Then I got pregnant. Wide and huge and unable to write or blog…or eat… (not really).

I decided to take a break off blogging. I had a baby, and found myself in a deep abyss of intense boredom. So I picked up the book, and started to polish it. As I worked hard on the novel, day and night, thrilled at myself for having the guts to come back to the book, I gave my self a deadline to complete, and to find a publisher. About 50,000 words into The Small Print- (think it was called The contract or something then), I felt a stirring in my spirit to make the novel Christian fiction. In fact, it wasn’t a stirring; the instruction was as loud as a siren in a graveyard. The Holy Spirit did not want me writing any other type of books, apart from Christian fiction. Seriously? I had never even heard of Christian fiction. But God was very stubborn with me. I was battered in my conscience until I deleted 40,000 words and started to re-write The Small Print.


Tell us about your publishing experience:

Once I completed the novel, I had big dreams. I was certain I would get a big name publisher in like one week. I also had aspirations. I wanted to win the Man booker prize, the Orange prize, the Commonwealth prize… you name the prize; it was on my radar. But when I got my first rejection letter from an agent, I realised it wasn’t going to be an easy journey. I got so many rejection letters that I almost got discouraged and then one day, I got an email from a publisher in the US saying the manuscript had been nominated as a finalist in their competition, and a few months later, another US Christian publishing company contacted me having read the first few chapters on Autonomy, with interest in publishing. They eventually refused to publish the work due to marketability.

That final rejection was the light bulb moment for me. I realised that I could either sit here and wait for years to get one of the big six to publish my work, or I could self publish my work myself and get people reading. According to Abimbola Dare, the ultimate goal of a writer should be for people to read your work. Anything else after that is extra. If you self publish and a million people read your work, or you publish with a top publisher and one hundred people read your work… who’s the successful author? :-) I have loved the self publishing experience because God has favoured me all the way. It is a frustrating yet exhilarating experience.

Marketing is hard work, and I now appreciate how much work Myne Whitman did with a AHTM (kudos). But I don’t regret one second of my decision. The Small Print hit top 40 on Amazon bestseller list for Christian Fiction last week… seeing my novel under big names like Francine Rivers told me one thing: That God can make something out of anything. I still want to win prizes though…but this time, I am eyeing a different prize: which is to see people being blessed, entertained, while at the same time turning to God because they read my work. As for the literary Prizes…. they will come one day. Until then, I will continue to write Christian fiction for the sole purpose of shining the light of God through real characters.

Where can we get the novel:

Online at: Amazon.co.uk or on Amazon.com
In Nigeria at: Shoprite Lekki, Debonair Bookstore Yaba, Laterna Bookstore, Patabah Surulere, and BOLDOZ RESOURCE CENTRE, 79 Udotung Ubo street, Uyo. State. (eno778@yahoo.com). Coming soon to Abuja and Ibadan.


Fictional Interview with main character Wale Ademola:

Wale, tell us why you decided to marry a woman you don’t love in order to avoid deportation to Nigeria? Why didn’t you go back to Nigeria?

Thunder fire that question. Do you know that I suffered like an idiot in my father’s house in Nigeria? Do you know how sick my mother was and how badly my sister was relying on me for school fees? After years of suffering, I managed to get six months visa, struggled to buy ticket, managed to enter UK and for the first time in my life, I was able to get a job and send money home to my mother. Now, my Visa expired and Jennifer Lennox, (she is crazy o, but I can handle her madness), gave me option to marry her and collect Red pali (British passport) for just two thousand pounds , and you say I should reject it and go back to Nigeria?

Did you ever develop feelings for Eniola, your flatmate?

Me, have feelings for Eniola Rhodes. Let me ask you first, have you met her mother? To answer your question, Eniola is a sweetheart but she is not my type. She’s too spiritual for me abeg.

We understand you are in love with a married woman, Sade Williams. Why her? Have you no fear for her husband?

What has her husband got to do with the price of fish? He wasn’t there for his wife when she needed him, I was. Go tell married men that mess around with their wives that there is always a Wale Ademola waiting around to grab them at the nearest opportunity. Why the guy would allow a woman as stunning as Sade Williams to feel so insecure and unloved is beyond me. So to answer your question… I don’t send her husband.

That will be all, Mr Ademola, thanks for your time.

Before you go, follow the author on twitter; @bimbylads or on facebook: www.facebook.com/bimbyladsfor more information.




23 comments:

  1. I think I would love this novel. I like the character: Wale. Now adding it to the list of books to look for when next i visit Laterna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, so this is Bimbylads face? Fine geh ... Sorry, woman. The background story to the book makes me even want to read it. Deleted 40, 000 words? Whoa! Lord, have mercy! I shall be adding this to the list of books I need to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bimbylads!!!!! She's looking good and kudos to her for the perseverance o. E no easy. I haven't even tried to find anyone but I know it must be difficult to read those rejection letters abeg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol i love the fictional interview answers that Wale gave too funny....definitely on my to read list

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely will check out for her book
    I love reading christian fiction, keep the great work up dear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bimbylads! Congratulations! You were funny then and still funny now. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Myne. LOL. I saw this from facebook and thought.. hmm, that looks like me na. lol. thanks for the opportunity. Loved the experience.
    @Che- I hope you do. Thanks soo much.
    @The relentless builder: aww, thanks! :-). And yes o, that is my very fine face. hehe.
    @Igbophilia- hey back !!:-). Thanks. We thank God o. Kai those rejection letters can make u cry. I cried sef. lol
    @ Pendo- Thankss
    @In the midst of her- Thanks and amen, God bless u too,

    Thanks Myne. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bimby, for accepting graciously to be featured and I really enjoyed the book. I'm also loving the personal replies here, thank you!

      Delete
  8. and there i go book shopping.hehehehehehehe
    am very curious about this book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, yes... Go a shopping :-). Buy one get one for your friend. :-). Seriously, thanks Chantel for the support. Much appreciated.
      Again, Myne-- Ose!!

      Bimbylads

      Delete
  9. Ha! I love love love (ok I'll stop now) this book. Please DO NOT pass by it when you see it. Grab one.

    @bimbylads: nice one. That deleting 40,000 words still makes me wonder. U really tried.

    The Wale interview is funny. Would hv loved one from Eniola's mum or Jennifer (her Yoruba twist 2 it would be nice).

    Kudos to you on the great job you did on this book. May you never lose your source of inspiration and God bless the works of your hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww, Feyi thanks soo much, my special friend.:-). Amen to ur prayers. lol@ Eniola's mum. She would have shut the house down with her rants :-). Thanks dearie.
      Bimxx

      Delete
  10. beautiful story. this book will be a joy to read

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read it and its such a fantastic read....no doubt! The fictional interview with Wale Ademola is hilarious too....but I loved it.

    Thanks, Abimbola for sharing this book with the world....we await the next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear. Aww, thanks for reading the book! much appreciated. Amen to the next and next! :-)

      Bimbylads

      Delete
  12. @bimbylads: I admire your courage to delete about 40,000 words in obedience to what God was telling you to write. Whoever said Africans don't read or write?? Let him speak now or forever hold his peace! I strongly commend you... I feel like I've met a mentor! Lol :)

    Thanks Myne for this wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @worshipandswag- loving the name btw. To be honest, I dont even know how I did it. It was just God. I just felt that if I didnt obey, I would regret it for the rest of my life and so I just took the plunge. I told God that if I obeyed him, that he HAD to bless my effort. And he has... he always blesses our efforts doesnt he? lol @ ur mentor comment- humbled I am. Thanks dearie!!
      Bimbylads

      Delete
  13. Awww love you Bimbylads
    God will take you to even greater heights

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MsJB- thanks much for your prayers. Wish u the same. Love u too loadsxxx

      Bimbylads

      Delete
  14. Lmao @ the interview. That Ademola xter en smh. Even Eniola's mom is cray. Too funny. Weldone Bimbylads :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toinlicious- lol. thanks deariexxx
      Bimbylads :-)

      Delete
    2. Lovely and inspiring writeup

      Delete
  15. Deleting that many words, that sounds like something God will make me do. hehe. Congratulations Hun. I have to read your book soon!

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.