Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My Lagos Adventures and Saying Goodbye to Gala

Posted in: , , , , , ,
UPDATE - I've corrected my phone number now. Sorry!

Hey everyone, hope your week's going well? Mine started off OK and Lagos is treating me fine. Mostly anyway. We arrived last Thursday and the next day was vegging out day, we slept and rested for most of it. I did log online with the Starcomms Izap I bought the last time I was in Nigeria, my mother-in-law had recently topped it up with the 9pm-9am package. The network was a bit spotty but it was the timing that I couldn't just manage. I did find out about a bookish event for Saturday which I attended.

With so many talented and beautiful people, I was honored :)


New books from Paressia publishers

Several authors read from their books and I bought some new books I had been itching to get my hands on. I also had a great time and met some amazing writers, who though not yet published are bloggers I subscribe to and look forward to their stories. Uche blogs at Naijastories and at yourstruly-uche.blogspot.com, and Tolu at naijarookie.wordpress.com

Uche, Tolu and I

On Sunday, I faced my internet access, or the lack thereof, squarely, yet it was only yesterday that I was finally able to activate my BIS, after so many runarounds that included registering a SIM card whereby they asked me my father's village and my mother's maiden name. And then they still took my picture and my fingerprints. All is well that ends well sha, phone line was activated some hours later and BIS after I topped up to the required N3000.

And now to the Gala palava. First off, the initial vendor I asked for Gala handed me that Superbite and ran away before I could say that wasn't what I wanted. I had already paid him and it actually took me a moment to realize it wasn't a rebranded Gala I was holding but another brand entirely. By the time I looked up, he was no where to be seen. Funny thing was, his box actually red Gala but I now doubt there was any Gala in there.



Moving on, I saw another vendor and asked for a Gala. He has both Gala and Superbite and was about to hand me the later when I firmly shook my head and pointed to the Gala. As you can see from the pictures, I quickly tore the pack open and munched the roll quickly. If you haven't got how much I loved Gala and was looking forward to it, then let me reiterate; I loved Gala.

Unfortunately, it has to remain in the past tense as I was completely disappointed by what I ate that day. The pastry was still OK but the filling did not remotely taste like beef, or even like anything edible. And now the love affair is over. No more envying the pictures I see or asking those that travel to bring me back some Gala, even if for nostalgia sake. I do hope UAC is not killing Nigerians with it. Goodbye Gala, it was good while it lasted, but maybe all good things do have to come to an end. :(

But no more sad faces, I'm still looking forward to Suya! And getting to see some of you guys. For those who want to meet up, you can call me on 0703752110(1+1)




22 comments:

  1. Myne! how long are you in Lag for- my @#$% routine means if you say 'not long' then we will be meeting 'in the far future'. Anyways, sad the gala love affair had to end in that way, it'd have been better if you held on to your fantasy shey? Did you ever try the first one? Maybe that is why the road vendors are selling it as 'gala'. Still be careful where u eat the Suya o - make e no be the same matter as 'gala'. 'nuf said about that.

    Keep up the good work m'dame and enjoy whatever else there is left to enjoy in Lagos - I hear the 3rd mainland bridge palava is ongoing, watch it too. Takia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhhhh!
    I was almost at that book thingy!!!
    I knew I should have listened to the spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate gala,never eaten it,sure you are having fun,please come to Abuja :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can u hate what you have never eaten?SMH

      Delete
    2. was gonna ask that too,anyway have More fun!!

      Delete
  4. hey Myne......you shluld try some nkwobi, asun, roasted plantain while you are at it! are you in lagos or abuja?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so jealous of you right now, I want to be in Lagos. I have missed Gala but this your experience is not making me look forward to it at all. Have fun in the motherland

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love gala or is it loved loved but just like you I was so dissapointed at the new product, after pining for it for years, what I got was dough with a painting of something that did not taste like meat,I was close to tears :-)

    it was the same with chocomilo, didn't taste any hint of chocolate in it :-( enjoy your trip and have a suya on me (another favourite)

    www.bukkyapampa.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always asked my mother's maiden name for password stuff, but your father's village too?! Lol. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaaab! Saying goodbye to Gala has definitely got to be the hardest part

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah! & I was in lag last wkend o! :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course, like most edible stuffs in Nigeria, the quality of Gala has been reduced more than 80%

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! See our picshure!

    Wishing you a wonderful rest-of-stay. And the thing with the gala, it usually happens here when a product gets really popular. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. *scanning the pictures for Atala* Wait, didn't he attend the event with you? Looks like you guys had fun.

    The gala story is rather disheartening. It is one of those things I looked forward to eating too, but from your account, I better go to the kitchen and make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Myne, the beef roll made by the company Chi is the business. I used to pack loads and bring it back with me. I put it in the microwave to soften it and it's wow. Like puff puff, i put on weight as well so don't buy it in bulk anymore. I ate asun once and i ended up on a hospital bed. Make sure you have your antibiotics at hand. Like my Parents say when you live abroad your body changes and can't accept all the normal stuff they eat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Myne, aha i've just seen the pictures. Yes Super bite is better than Gala.

    ReplyDelete
  16. used to like gala a lot too. had one very bad experience and stopped it.
    hope you're enjoying nigeria

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope you had fun in Nigeria? Gala is no longer what it used to be,as are many other things in Nigeria.Hope you had a safe trip back?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't like gala too. I always feel like the hawkers have them stored for ages.
    Hope you have a fabulous time in Lagos. (Will call you asap!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Father's village and mother's maiden name to register SIM card? #OnlyinNaija! Have a blessed trip. I can't wait to be there too. Very soon :) | Hopefully, I'm able to meet all the lovely bloggers there too.

    - LDP

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww a love affair I used to know:)
    http://tobechidaniel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.