Sunday, July 29, 2012

Winners and Losers - Team Nigeria at London 2012

Posted in: , , , , , ,

I was cheering along with my MIL when the Nigerian contingent passed at the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics. We had been guessing whether they would wear tracks, suits or native, and what kind of native. I think their design choice was a good one, a blend of the different cultures and one of the more contemporary ones out there. I loved white being the dominant color and that gele!


The girls especially, looked happy and some of them were actually digging it :)

But now, we've gone beyond the fun to the games proper, and the winners and losers are beginning to emerge for Team Nigeria.


The Nigerian basketball team, D'Tigers, won their first game at the 2012 London Olympics, beating Tunisia 60-56. They are the first basketball team in Nigerian sporting history to win a match at the Olympics and need only another win to get through to the next round.


Segun Toriola in Table Tennis lost 4-1 to Swedish Persson Jorgen in his second outing of the London 2012 Table Tennis event, thereby falling out of the competition. He joins female table tennis contestants, Edem Offiong and Funke Oshonaike who had earlier lost out in their first events.

As they say though, it's not over till it's over. We still have our track and field hopes and the best to the basketball team and all the others.



10 comments:

  1. Oh yeah!!!! Doing it big... the losses were unfortunate but win some lose some... good luck to all the other athletes #TeamNigeria jare because if we don't hail her no one else will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one else will o, wishing them all the best!

      Delete
  2. TeamNigeria anyday! You guys could check out the official page at http://www.teamng.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for all of them!! One of the basketball players Chamberlain is my younger brothers grade school classmate. I hope they get a medal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope so too, they've started off well.

      Delete
  4. The guys looked okay, but the ladies outfits were a bit too busy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the outfits. They did a good job at that and I really really hope we bring something (preferably gold) home!

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.