Friday, August 10, 2012

A Reader Responds - Who Says Infidelity is Bad?

Posted in: , , ,

Apart from the regular Dear Myne's, I get a lot of responses to my posts from readers of this blog, especially those who subscribe to receive it in their inbox. However, this response was so detailed I requested from the sender to post it here. She thinks I was being subjective in terming infidelity bad and promiscuity as reprehensible, since life is about different strokes for different folks. Well, read the response...

Dear Myne, I am a HUGE fan of your work.
I live in Lagos, Nigeria and look forward to your blog post every morning.
I'm a medical doctor and a consultant in family medicine with a masters in psychology.
I am 32, single and without kids.
I read ur post [on Necessary Infidelity] this morning and found most of the write-up on infidelity amusing, to say the least. I had a few reservations about this particular one that somewhat beat the usual, hence my urge to respond to your article today.

First, of all the views of the ardent follower that you brought out for us to read are very true and they are the realities we have been dealing with all over the world for many, many years...or even centuries.
And I have seen a few in my years of practice.
It is true that men have extra-marital affairs...
Women do too. And apparently, according to recent survey, the numbers are increasing exponentially.
So, as it stands, the implied deplorable moral 'law' in our society is being ripped to shreds.

That however begs a point:
Who makes these moral laws? Our culture? Religion? Or constitution?
It has been said, that some religious laws have penalties for sexual offenders...but I beg to say that such a law would only apply to the pple that are subject to such a law.
And d reason why it exists is to guide the conscience and way of life by certain prescribed rules made by the, say, higher body (goverment or other moral/religious leaders).
I believe in God and as a fact, I am a christian. However, if I break a jewish law, buddhist law or even an islamic law, I can't be judged by it because I don't believe in it, and am nt subscribed tot it (except where, ofcourse, it becomes state law...in which case, I would be subject to it by virtue of residency or work)

This I have said to stress a point: Moral law by which you charged that "infidelity is bad" is based on what precept? Who's moral law? The one created by your conscience? Ur culture or society?
Why would you judge "infidelity" wrong and say, gay relationships are ok?

We say a man has "stolen" because we have subscribed to a moral code that "stealing" is wrong. Otherwise it would just be "taking"...and that won't be wrong.
And the so called "moral code" has its foundation on some form of religious belief. The people of isreal "took" things freely and didn't feel it wrong. Not until, moses came wit the law that termed it as "stealing" and put a penalty to its being broken.
Which is good. Laws help us to maintain order and put checks to a certain sense of freedom that is actually guided by 'instinct'

This morning, I was listening to my favourite radio station when a certain topic was brought up. It said, "is it cheating if you aren't married"
Some said, "yes". Others said, "no"
Bt I believe it is an agreement any couple must come to. To set the rules for their relationship and what they feel is proper or hurtful.
At least, some pple practise open relationships and have been "happy" with it.

All in all, its an understanding the parties involved must come to.

If we abide by a religious code, good. But, don't judge me with your own set of rules.

Therefore, if its ok to be gay and date, it should be ok to be bisexual...and also should be ok to have sex with other people...when you are married...as even some religions subscribe to.

So far, as u arent breaking any vows...or set of laws/priciples you have made the foundation of your emotional institution.

Thank you, Myne.
You remain my inspiration.

N.B: by the way, #7 is true. 78% of "chronic" wife beaters do not have extra-marital affairs. While this is bad. It doesn't change it from being a fact.
"But let's not conflate issues." Lol!

So, I agree she's right on some of it, like a couple agreeing and coming to their own understanding of what works for them, but others, I don't agree like the correlation between beating and faithful husbands. I have asked for where she got the statistic, but she's yet to get back to me.

On marriage and infidelity, I still think it's wrong especially when the man has sworn in church to be faithful and maybe even promised the wife one-on-one that he's hers alone. The fact is that as much as some men think having extra-marital affairs is OK and adds zest to their marriage, most wives would beg to disagree. Some will fight the other woman, fight their husbands, cheat, be aggressive to their colleagues or children, or even go the diabolical route to get even. That betrayal is deep o.

As for the people who are still dating, unless they have specifically declared to be exclusive, the cheating is more up in the air.

What do you think?



15 comments:

  1. Well, everyone has the right to be whoever he or she wants to be really. But the point here is that marriage is about two people. If they agree to be 'not exclusive' in a marriage then well, its their choice. She might be right that the laws and moral code have a lot to do with religion.
    But i also think that God created humans with a conscience for a reason. Whenever you are about to do anything, anything at all, your conscience questions it. What about our emotions? I don't think that if a man cheats on me, the first thing i am going to think is that 'this is so not a Christian thing to do. It would be more like 'I wasn't enough for him or Why would he want to hurt me like that?' Infidelity in marriage suggests that someone is unhappy, not contented, bored, greedy,or just wants out. There is a problem somewhere.
    And yeah, I don't know about the statistics. I usually believe a man would be pushed to beat up his wife who just found out he was cheating and began to whine and generally stopped caring about him; cooking cleaning and stuff.['Go to her and let her do it'. That's what is familiar] Sorry about the long comment. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HARDLY agree with people 100%,i always always always always have my "buts" but i agree with this writer TOTALLY.
    Her point summarily is nigerians abide the laws created in nigeria(e.g innocent until proven guilty for a crime) and not the one in france(guilty until proven innocent)

    By extension, be "judged" only by laws you are subject to by virtue of religion,geographical location e.t.c

    Typical example - If u dont want your husband to marry more than one wife or you can't cover your hair or fast during ramadan,u better switch from islam or u stick to the consequences!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't understand people who get married but still sleep with other people- why get married? I've found the benefit of a long term, mongomaous relationship can only be gotten if you remain monogamous. If you want to sleep with other people don't get married and cause all of the needless drama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, she has her views and that's respected. However, I personally do not think cheating is OK... If one wants to sleep with other people, then they shouldn't be exclusive or be 'conditioned"-- I agree with her saying relationships should have "terms and conditions" that the couple should both agree to.


    I will never be in an open relationship (whom would I be deceiving?)and that's why I take my time when it comes to relationships...... cheating to me is disrespectful and hitting your spouse is disrespectful too... maybe I am in this fantasy but I won't settle .. I want to adore my man and he has to adore me too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear it is not ffaantasy. People always find reason to justify themselves

      Delete
  5. There are two kinds of relationship agreements - the open, discussed, lay-it-on-the-table or vow it in a religious ceremony type of agreements, and then there are the ASSUMED agreements.

    For my part, it's the assumed agreements that cause the most trouble. I met a guy once and we were flirting, exchanged phone numbers, and one night on the phone as we were negotiating our first date, he was SHOCKED to find out I was not intending to commit to only dating him at that time. I told him, no, I don't enter into an exclusive relationship with someone BEFORE the first date, that I considered both of us perfectly free to date other people until such time as we'd actually gone out a few times and decided to be exclusive.

    I know it's possible to feel love and sexual attraction to more than one person at a time. As long as everybody is on board with that, and precautions are being taken to ensure no pregnancies or STD's occur, no harm, no foul, IMO. There was a married couple in my community a few years back where they liked to play a game of she would go out to a bar, pick up a guy and bring him home to bed, while hubby watched. Not MY thing, but who was hurt? (Well, *they* were, because hubby was a teacher and somebody outed them in the local paper, so he lost his job and they had to leave town.)

    Where infidelity hurts is where one partner is being deceived by another. But I also know of many cases where s/he wants to leave the relationship, and her/his infidelity is grudgingly accepted/a blind eye turned, because the other partner would rather accept infidelity than divorce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer the open, discussed and lay it on the table kind, I find it is more binding in many cases where the religious ceremony is just for show or routine.

      Delete
  6. I no fit o. My man's ass is mine o. No sharing and that will be our relationship charter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so interesting how people speak long and fancy English to justify or not justify cheating. Basically, if it 'feels' right be like the Nike ad and 'just do it'! Great.

    Now...there's the small and rather inconsequential matter of the lives involved here: husband, wife, lover and in many cases, children. Go and speak 'long grammar' to the heartbroken wife/husband who has been cheated on. Make the 'vocabulary' even more elaborate if the affair resulted in a pregnancy and/or STD passed around. Even moreso if it resulted in the couple splitting and the children's spirits being crushed as they watch their parents part ways.

    Oh...oops...my bad. I'm probably 'judging' by my 'own moral rules' and 'religious' sentiments, eh? Heartbreak, betrayal, tears, disease, unwanted pregnancies, divorce, anger, depression, and the myriad of 'things' caused by cheating are not just 'feelings' or 'statistics'- these are very real issues. If a man/woman feels the need to 'go out' of their relationship then why hide it or play the 'eat my cake and have it' game?

    But hey, I guess I'm just being incredibly naive to believe that when an agreement is made it is binding unless BOTH parties have agreed to amend such n agreement? I guess integrity and responsibility are just too much to ask for or to expect nowadays, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you are married, you are married. It is no basing anything on precepts or set of rules. I mean, why would you do anything to hurt the person you have sworn exclusivity to? That is bad, you know. Let's face the fact; extra-marital affair is bad. Everybody gets hurt, except the party that is gaining from it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now...there's the small and rather inconsequential matter of the lives involved here: husband, wife, lover and in many cases, children. Go and speak 'long grammar' to the heartbroken wife/husband who has been cheated on. Make the 'vocabulary' even more elaborate if the affair resulted in a pregnancy and/or STD passed around. Even moreso if it resulted in the couple splitting and the children's spirits being crushed as they watch their parents part ways.

    Exactly my point of view, poster there is more to infidelity to just speaking grammar to justify the consequences.


    But hey, I guess I'm just being incredibly naive to believe that when an agreement is made it is binding unless BOTH parties have agreed to amend such n agreement? I guess integrity and responsibility are just too much to ask for or to expect nowadays, eh?

    I wonder oo my dear I can`t seemed to understand what the world has turn into seriously cheating is bad no matter the statistics, and many find it difficult to digest, you can`t eat your cake and have it, or why looking for the cake you`ve already eating?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree that 'ASSUMPTION' is dangerous. If u ask to be in a relationship with me then i ask u questions ( and can i ask questions! Eh!) i listen well to d answers and i answer ur questions too. Unlike the masked musician lagbaja, i dont assume that 'na wetin u dey find i dey find' ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will not have premarital sex because it is fornication, I will not sleep with someone else when I'm married because it is adultery. An opportunity will present itself in which if I sleep with someone else, my partner will never find out, but because I fear God, that God who is Omnipresent and Omniscient, I will not. Interestingly, most of these laws are for our own benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very good infο. Lucκy me I recеntlу founԁ your blog
    by chance (ѕtumbleupon). I haѵе book maгked it for later!
    Review my web page - Multimedia

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.