Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Kate Henshaw on Domestic Violence and Divorce

Posted in: , , ,

Domestic Violence and Divorce are hot button topics in relationships and marriage discussions among women, and often, many who face these issues keep silent for fear of being stigmatized. It is certainly not what most of us wish for, but sometimes they happen. Kate Henshaw (Actress and TV Show Judge) says in a recent interview, that when they do, a woman has to know that it's possible to "stand up, dust yourself and move on." Her thoughts...

As a woman, and also as a celebrity, what are your views on domestic violence?
My views are very strong. Anyone who knows me would know that I am in the forefront of anything concerning domestic violence. I am an ambassador for Project Alert. Domestic violence has been with us for long. It’s just that these days, there are more people who are not concerned with keeping quiet. Titi Arowolo is dead, there are so many other people who have died. People think that if you are working in a bank or if you’re some big woman, you can’t be a victim of domestic violence. That is a big lie. It occurs across all social levels.

I once read an interview where you mentioned you were a victim of domestic violence in a relationship.
(Laughs) I’m laughing now and I’m glad I can laugh. It’s good to be able to look back and laugh at your problems. Yes I was a victim of violence in a relationship and it wasn’t pleasant. So I can really understand where a lot of people are coming from. I didn’t have the strength to stand up and move on my own. I had to go on my knees and pray to God for help. Each time I tried to move on, there would be apologies, and I was afraid to step out and start a new relationship but I’m glad I’ve come through it and now I can help people in similar situations.

..Your divorce came as a shock to a lot of people.
Shock? Have you not seen Seal and Heidi have divorced? Haven’t you seen people who have been married for 20 to 25 years have divorced? I’m not perfect, no one is. We all have our low moments. It doesn’t mean I’m a failure. Everybody goes through bad patches in life. If you intend to stay down and make it your focus or rise out of it and continue is what matters. Because life must go on, whether we like it or not. It’s always better to part under good circumstances than for someone to be in jail, or to die, or to be hurling insults at each other. There is no need for that.


Part of the reasons why many people were shocked at your divorce is you always manage to have a cheerful look.
It’s God. Looking back at my life, where I came from, I never even thought I would be an actress, I never even thought I would have an opportunity to meet people, to be a role model… so it’s not for me to feel self pity. I’m grateful to God every single day. I choose to be happy, I am a happy person. Someone encouraged me with these words yesterday “every problem you have would resolve and dissolve”.

When you think back at your marriage, is there anything you wish you had done differently?
No, not at all. Some people have said maybe it’s because I was too busy, maybe because of my work. But I tell them, this is my work. I love my work passionately and I love my daughter and my family. Those were the most important things to me. But if one part doesn’t work, the rest must work.

Are your wounds healed now? Have you moved on?
I am happy, I’ve moved on. I’m working. Sometimes, when things happen to you, you wonder how people would see it. I asked myself, am I going to lose friends? Loose my social standing? Is my brand going to be tainted? Nothing has. You know how you just fall, and you stand up, dust yourself and move on. That is what happened. I’m very grateful to Promasidor, they were extremely supportive and of course, everyone else who was there for me.


Would you give love a chance again?
I will oh! Me, I’m a lover I’m not a fighter. I’m only going to be very picky. I don’t know about marriage but maybe love.

Good luck to her!

Source - Bellanaija.com



11 comments:

  1. Happy she has moved on. Life is too short for one not to be happy. I always felt like Kate was really really enjoying a happily ever after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww love this woman (as you can obviously tell by the avatar)... strong woman, amazing heart, (not so much on that second pic though lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for her that she has moved on and like Eya said life is just to short to stay unhappy. www.secretlilies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's life. Things may not necessarily go as planned. I ve always been a fan of hers because of her cheerful looks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "You know how you just fall, and you stand up, dust yourself and move on". i love the fact that she didn't allow herself to stay down and out.

    Life is for the living.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strong woman indeed, may God continue to bless you...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the fact that she says she is not a failure. I pray she always sees herself that way i.e. as not a failure (because sometimes, in our secret closets, some funny thoughts creep in to really test us) and she opens up to love, and a good marriage, if it comes knocking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep living your life Kate, I'm your fan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Domestic violence is most prevalent in the so-called big families in Nigeria. As a victim what do you do? Choose to respect yourself. Choose to be happy. Dust yourself up. Get out of the miserablely dead marriage. Get a New life. I am a living witness.

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.