Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Recipe for Spicy Lentils with Spinach

Posted in: , , ,

Lentils was one of the foods I discovered when I moved to the UK from Nigeria and faced the scarcity or exorbitant prices of Nigerian foods in Scotland. Lentils were available in the shops and the price was right. When I made it too, the taste was right. Lentils, I believe are Indian by origin and the best I ever ate was by an Indian friend with loads of curry. Since then, I also make mine with all the spices I keep around, just not too much.

Ingredients

1 bag lentils, picked and rinsed
3 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium sized Onion, chopped
2 or 3 large tomatoes, diced
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
2 cubes of maggi or knorr (optional)
I bag of frozen cut-leaf spinach leaves, thawed
Salt to taste



Directions

1. Put the lentils in a pot with enough water to cover it almost double. Add a teaspoon of oil and bring to a boil.

2. After that, allow to simmer on low heat for about 30-45 minutes, depending on how soft you prefer your lentils. I leave mine for about 45 mins for a softer result.

3. If the water dries and the lentils are still hard, add some more water. If the lentils soften and there's too much water, drain off the excess.

4. Add the diced and chopped onions and tomatoes, as well as all the seasoning and the rest of the vegetable oil.

5. Stir properly. cover and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes at same low heat.

6. Add the thawed cut-leaf spinach and stir.

7. Turn off the heat, cover and let sit for about 5 mins so the vegetable can cook in the steam of the food.

8. Serve hot or allow to cool before serving.

Can be used as the main meal or as a side to rice, couscous or pasta. Let me know if you try it :) Enjoy...



14 comments:

  1. I actually like mine to go with rice, but never tried adding veggies.I 'll do that the next time am making it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One can also do the veggies by the side instead of stirring it in.

      Delete
  2. I'm ashamed to say I've never tasted this. Don't even know where I can get it in Nigeria. From grain sellers? Tips please as I'd love to taste this by weekend. Thanks Myne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check with the grain section, though I doubt it is local but just maybe. If not, check in the stores, it's usually packed in small sachets here.

      Delete
  3. I'm hungryyyyy!!! looks really good. now thinking the kinda dishes am gonna be trying my hands on this festive season. thanks for sharing this recipe Myne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think dis is called "achicha" in ibo. I don't knw if it can be gotten in lagos,but you will find it in the eastern part of Nigeria.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everywhere i have turned today i have seen food. I see food everywhere!!!!! I wantttttt

    Looks very lovely.



    ReplyDelete
  6. yay! you posted it! I will be trying it out

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone, hope it turns out well for those interested in trying it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. madam, this looks so simple!am going to try cooking for the first time. Hausa man in the Kitchen,lol
    thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.