Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Spaghetti and Tomato Sauce with Green Lima Beans

Posted in: , , , ,

Spaghetti and Tomato sauce is a regular in these parts but the Green Lima Beans addition was a first recently. Frozen vegetables were on a half-price sale at the store so I decided to pick a few new ones I had never tried before, one of those was green Lima beans. I wasn't too sure how it would turn out, so on the day I tried it, I decided to use it as a side to a more familiar meal.



Ingredients

1 pack of spaghetti
3 large tomatoes, chopped
1 meduim onion, chopped
2 habanero peppers
2 tablespons vegetable oil
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 small onion, sliced
1 cube of knorr
1 pack frozen Lima beans
Salt and spices to taste


Directions for tomoto sauce

1. Blend the chopped tomatoes, onions and habanero peppers.

2. Heat the vegetable oil in a sauce pan until lightly smoking, and then pour in the blended tomato mixture.

3. Add salt, knorr and spices to taste.

4. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.

5. Once the mixture is dry and you can see the oil bubbling separately, add the sliced bell peppers and onions.

6.Stir well and then remove from heat.


Directions for Spagehtti

1. Put a pot of water to boil, enough to cover your pack of spaghetti.

2. Add a pinch of salt and a couple of drops of oil.

3. Boil for 10 mins, or until the spaghetti is as soft as you like it.

4. Drain in an large colander and pass cold water quickly over it.


Directions for Green Lima Beans

1. Pour the frozen green Lima beans into an oven safe dish.

2. Add a pinch of salt and cover with water.

3. Cook according to the directions on the package. Mine said to cook for 10minutes.

4. Remove from the microwave, and check that it is done. Drain.


The green Lima beans turned out to be a wonderful addition to the meal. It had this soft but chewy texture that I liked, and I think it might even come into play as a main dish in our rotation. As you can see from the pictures, we added some chicken cos we love us or meat.

For those new to Lima beans, it's actually great more than taste-wise. Check out details here. Some other recipes I try out with new-to-me foods include celery, aubergines, and squash. Are there any other vegetables you have tried recently, or want to suggest to me?





12 comments:

  1. Very tasty, I can smell from here. one of my fav dishes to prepare. Its simple yet you can make it elegant by adding veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum yum, and the pictures look good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! But I'm afraid the children may not want the lima beans in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try. They might just change their mind.

      Delete
  4. It really looks good. N u know I just made a decision to start eating more vegetables. Will try this recipe ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. And legumes are great for losing weight.

      Delete
  5. This meal looks great and tasty I might have to go hunting for Lima beans in Naija. Presently,I am writing a cook book for some special people may be I'll include this recipe but not until I taste it.Thanks Myne!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Jayne Whyte, I hope you will ask for permission before using another person's recipe in your book? Show good example!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! thanks for your concern. All credits will go to her.

      Delete
  7. This looks yummy, I pray I find Lima beans in Naija.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what's Lima beans never heard about it because we don't get them in India, can u suggest any alternative?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a green beans, but you can also replace with kidney beans.

      Delete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.