Friday, January 18, 2013

Boiled Plantain with Afang Vegetable Sauce

Posted in: , , ,

This is a picture heavy post since I assume most people know how to boil food? This is a simple meal using some leftover soup from my Afang recipe. I love unripe plantain because I tend to stay away from fried foods and ripe ones mostly lend themselves to dodo, their sugary sweet taste means they don't play too nice with most sauces, in my opinion anyway.

I fell in love with that tangy [Atala calls it bland] taste of unripe plantains after a family member became diabetic and had to adjust their menu. It makes sense to me in the well being journey not to wait till you're sick before taking measures to be healthy. So I look at the menu of diabetics or those with high blood pressure and borrow a leaf.



When boiled, unripe plantain is versatile and can be eaten with virtually any sauce. There are two ways to prepare boiled plantain, either in the back, or peeled.

To boil in the back,

1. Wash properly to avoid sand or any debris.

2. Cut one plantain into 3 - 5 pieces

3. Put in a pot with enough water to cover it, add a pinch of salt and boil for 20mins. Remove from heat.

4. While still hot, peel off the back and serve.



To peel before cooking.

1. Cut off the top and bottom of the plantain and remove the back.

2. Dice the plantain into as many pieces as you want.

3. Put in a pot with enough water to cover it, add a pinch of salt and boil for 20mins. Remove from heat.

4. Serve with your choice of sauce.


You can also use unripe plantains in porridge, cooking it in the sauce itself. Recipe for that coming up soon.

Bon Apetit!




4 comments:

  1. What a great way (and idea) to cut back on that sugar. My sisters and nieces are diabetic. I'm the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. blessings....
    In Trinidad boiled plantain is part of our everyday menu, so is fried plantain.

    We don't call our sauces soup (this is something new i am getting acquainted with via my African friends)we call them stews.

    looks good.
    have a great weekend.
    rhapsody

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kittie, Eya and RP.

    @Rhapsody, it's true, we call them soups mostly :)

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.