Sunday, January 27, 2013

Central Business District, Abuja - Picture Weekend

Posted in: ,


I lived in Abuja for just over six years, from July 2000 when I arrived for my youth service to September 2006 when I left for further studies in Scotland. It was the city where I spent the longest part of my adulthood, and where a lot of who I am today was formed. It's probably the only other place in addition to Seattle and Asaba that I consider home.

The last time I was in Abuja was in December 2010, I was there for the Infusion reading organized by Lola Shoneyin. It was a lovely time spent meeting new people, hanging out at some of my old haunts, revisiting some old friends, and generally chilling and fooling around with my sister.

As it was my first visit to Nigeria after a couple of years, I also ate voraciously of everything I had missed. As you can see from my cheeks and arms, I added like 10 pounds within the first week, LOL. But this post is more about the city itself and some the pictures I was able to capture for the time till I visit again.


Atala has not been before, so it's almost certain we'll be there one of these days/years to play tourist. Abuja is still, as far as I know, the best city in Nigeria and worth the time to visit and have a look see. I didn't have enough time in 2010 to do some of the more out of the way places - like Gurara falls, Zuma Rock, etc - but enjoy the pics of central district Abuja below...

Federal Secretariat 1


Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Ahmadu Bello Way

Police Headquaters

Aeroplane House in Asokoro

Aso Rock

Eagle Square

Federal Secretariat 2

Supreme Court HQ

Tomb of Unknown Soldier with Aso Rock in the background

Can you see the National Assembly?

National Assembly (Green Dome) with Aso Rock





16 comments:

  1. Wow! So you served in Abuja and stayed that long there? I see you enjoyed yourself there and caught the city's beautiful places in your photo shots. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I served in a ministry then later on several jobs, learnt a lot about Nigeria then.

      Delete
  2. No open gutter in Abuja. It is clean but cost of living is high. It is a city although it is called FCT.

    People who think Africa is a jungle should go there. It is a modern city with class. Why can't all parts of Nigeria be like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question that our leaders are yet to answer.

      Delete
  3. Abuja is surely beautiful, I loved it during my visit in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, A Love Rekindled is my ode to it.

      Delete
  4. doesn't port harcourt mtch it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to port harcourt and while it's better than a lot of other cities in Nigeria, it is not Abuja's mate! LOL...

      Delete
    2. Lmaooo!! @ your response Myne.. That was straight to the point.. Port Harcourt is definitely not Abj's mate. Abuja is where it all happens.. The city was well planned.. You're doing great
      Myne.









      Delete
  5. Wow Myne! you took very good pictures. Where is the Ship House now? Ecumenical center and The National mosque? Why you forgot those ones eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eya. I wish I had more time them to get those ones. The few I got were in the car, following my sister around on her business. Next time, I'll prepare for more sightseeing.

      Delete
  6. You look pretty in that yellow ma'am!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm...Abuja. I always come back to Kaduna from Abuja with tons of pictures on my phone. Ceddi Plaza, NNPC Towers, Sheraton Hotel, TransCorp, National Mosque, CBN, Ecumenical Centre ... numerous buildings and places to captivate one. The width of the roads are wide, landscape awesome. I truly wish we had other places like this or better in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  8. seeing these pictures just made me see abuja from a visitor's perspective,having moved there as a child and spending my growing years there all these places always seemed normal too me,not extra special or anything,but seeing your pictures i get it! Abuja is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.